OT - "Mini" Brooke Update 4-16-09

Old April 16th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatEyes

Default OT - "Mini" Brooke Update 4-16-09

Good news in that there is NO news! For the second time, Brooke had no bad
reactions to her 15 minute "push" chemo session (the one that usually makes
people really ill). Her biggest complaint is the mouth sores she has from
it. Erin's pharmacist said that most of his chemo patients used a mouthwash
that was much more effective than what Brooke is using (for one thing, it
has lydocaine which helps deaden the pain). So Erin asked Brooke's
oncologist to change her prescription, and the doctor refused to do so
saying that what she had was the best available. Brooke was really
suffering, so Erin took her to her family doctor and asked him to prescribe
the mouthwash the pharmacist recommended. After the very first use Brooke
got complete relief from the pain. As an added benefit, the new mouthwash
comes in generic form (which the other didn't), so they're now saving about
$60 a month on that prescription.

Also, Brooke has completely come to terms with her hair loss - most of the
time she doesn't even bother to wear her "do rags" or hats. And 4 of her
boy friends have shaved their heads in support of her! Her parents really
got it right with this child - to be that self confident, and that likable
(along with being good at everything she does) at only 17 - well, it's just
amazing! I'm SO proud of all of them.

Brooke is very, very lucky to have such a fantastic support system. That's
not to say that she never gets down - some of her MySpace daily comments
make my cry for her. But still, she has the best of a very bad situation.

As always, your purrs, prayers, thoughts and well wishes are very much
appreciated (and I really mean that - I do believe in the power of prayer,
purrs and positive thinking).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 16th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

A grill near me who is about her age wears some really snazzy dangle
earrings and with no hair to get in the way, she really looks cool, so the
kids say. Like her, several of this girls friends have shaved their heads
also.

Old April 16th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatEyes" wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad to hear she's doing so well. I'm sure her attitude helps a lot.
She is an amazing person!

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

Old April 16th 09, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatEyes" wrote in message
[...]

It's so good to know that Brooke is doing well. If she *has* to have cancer
so young what she has is probably the best one. Which sounds stupid, I
know, no cancer is best.
However it is very treatable in younger people. My cousin had it and he is
now fine, completely cured. He's just emigrated to New Zealand with a clean
bill of health.

Tweed

Old April 16th 09, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"CatEyes" wrote in message
[...]

They're still on the way. She really seems surrounded by love and support.
Keep her laughing, Lori-- that's what makes life the most worth living.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old April 18th 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

CatEyes wrote:
[...]

snip
Hugs,

CatNipped

We will continue to send lots of purrs, best wishes and gentle hugs,
Polonca and Soncek
Old April 18th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

"CatEyes" wrote in message
[...]

A rare child is that Brooke - what a brave girl. Purrs and purrayers
continuing from us. Thank you for her updates.
Christine