The Water Incident - And More

Old January 25th 17, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default The Water Incident - And More

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:45:48 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

On 1/19/2017 3:09 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
Well, thank you - I won't bother looking at those fountains now. If I'm going to
spend that much time on seeing to it that Minnie has access to fresh water, I'd
rather spend it going out there go turn the faucet on and keep having those
somewhat frequent moments of interaction with her. Of course, it's easy to say
that now when it's wintertime here. In the summer when it's hot enough to fry an
egg on the sidewalk and she wants a drink ten times as often, I may reconsider.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

They may have changed the design of the fountains in the years since I
used one. Perhaps they are easier to clean now. shrug

Jill

Not the model I have (Drinkwell Platinum) but I only change the filter
once a month and I clean it about as frequently. It isn't really hard
to clean but it does take a few minutes. Any time I see any green
(algae) I run it through the dishwasher (top shelf). That's rare
though.

I have to fill the container every few days (filtered water of course)
and keep a turkey baster next to it so I can suck out any bugs or
stuff that gets in and floats around.
Old January 25th 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Yours is a later model than I had. Images I've seen are totally
different from the one I had.

I cleaned the one I had once a week. I did only change the filter once
every few months. I'd rinse off the filter with the brush every time I
cleaned the fountain.

Every week I diassembled and cleaned the fountain. Cleaned the basin
and as much of the inside as I could with a non-abrasive Scotch Brite
pad. I had to take the top off and clean the inside. Use a thin
bristle brush on a wire handle to clean the long small passage down to
where the intake-outtake valve was situated. The valve flow assembly
was also in three different pieces, each of which could easily get
gunked up. I used the bristle brush to clean the small parts. It was a
PITA to do it every week. Then again, I never had algae".

I have to fill the container every few days (filtered water of course)
and keep a turkey baster next to it so I can suck out any bugs or
stuff that gets in and floats around.

Nope, never had a problem with bugs in mine. I hope you have more than
that one water source for your cats. I don't know how big the Drinkwell
Platinum version is but with four cats there should be plenty of sources
of water around the house. Hopefully bug free.

Jill