OT - where I am (mostly good)

Old August 15th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Default OT - where I am (mostly good)

Hello,

I haven't been around in a bit so wanted to drop a line.

I am thriving in the chiropractic clinic job - however with that being
full time, my part time night job, cartooning for the paper AND other
obligations, I've not been around the group in about a month and
change.

I will be doing job-sharing with my clinic job starting mid next
month. With a more reasonable load of work hours, I will hopefully be
a bit more regular of a presence here.

As for an update on my confusion issues - it is less neurological,
more...I forget the exact word (psychological? psychiatric?), but
it's got more to do with my thought/learning processes than with a
problem in the wiring of my brain. Basically, I have a photographic
memory, but when I look at something, I see my memory more clearly
than what's really there....so if someone's changed something, or if
my memory is a few days out of date, I may miss changes that happened
in the meantime, leaving me disoriented and confused when the current
reality doesn't match my recalled perception. I'm also very visual,
meaning things I hear don't stick, and I have to rig my desktop so I
literally see my tasks in front of me, because anything in a drawer or
behind a tab on the computer is very literally out of sight AND out of
mind. DP and I are looking into the right kind of health care
practitioner to help me learn more ways to adapt.

However, this job - a place where I'm free to set up systems that work
for me rather than being obliged to follow someone else's system
that's counterintuitive to me - is working out very well as soon as I
had the chance to rig my own systems, and I am so very happy about
it.

My bosses are understanding and sympathetic, and look the other way
from the notepad of cryptic writings that is always leaning against
the computer screen...I caught my boss putting it in a drawer on my
way out one night and asked her please not to, because without it
literally in front of my face the next morning, I would have no idea
what I needed to do. So, the rest of my desk is tidy, but that stays
out

It is amazing the difference when you work somewhere with people who
are willing to listen to you, help you, and respect you.

Kitties are all fat, badly behaved, and happy.

Purrs to all those who need them.

I hope to be around more soon.

--Fil

Old August 15th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Enfilade" wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad you found a job you like. Purrs coming that you'll get your
medical issues straightened out too.

And yes, please do come back and visit often - I miss your kitties' rap
songs! ;

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 15th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Enfilade wrote:
[...]

Glad things are working out for you and that you have an understanding boss.
Looking forward to more posts about your clowder.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 16th 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Enfilade wrote:
It is amazing the difference when you work somewhere with people who
are willing to listen to you, help you, and respect you.

I'm so glad you found a good place to work.

Kitties are all fat, badly behaved, and happy.

That's as it should be then. Hope to see you around more.

Old August 19th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Enfilade wrote:

As for an update on my confusion issues - it is less neurological,
more...I forget the exact word (psychological? psychiatric?), but
it's got more to do with my thought/learning processes than with a
problem in the wiring of my brain.

I'm relieved that nothing serious is wrong with you. I was a bit
worried, especially when you didn't post for a while and the last
thing you did post about was going to the doctor! Thanks for the
update.

Basically, I have a photographic
memory, but when I look at something, I see my memory more clearly
than what's really there....so if someone's changed something, or if
my memory is a few days out of date, I may miss changes that happened
in the meantime, leaving me disoriented and confused when the current
reality doesn't match my recalled perception. I'm also very visual,
meaning things I hear don't stick, and I have to rig my desktop so I
literally see my tasks in front of me, because anything in a drawer or
behind a tab on the computer is very literally out of sight AND out of
mind.

Well, in my non-expert opinion, if you're visually oriented and have a
photographic memory, that *is* a result of how your brain is wired. But
that doesn't mean anything is wrong with you. It's just the way your
brain works. I'm kind of the opposite - I have poor visual recall and
a lousy visual imagination. It's not really a problem, just a bit of a
limitation in terms of what I am and am not good at. It sounds like some
of your abilities and limitations might be more pronounced than a lot of
people's, but again that does not mean you have a problem. I'm very glad
it's not a medical issue.

However, this job - a place where I'm free to set up systems that work
for me rather than being obliged to follow someone else's system
that's counterintuitive to me - is working out very well as soon as I
had the chance to rig my own systems, and I am so very happy about
it.

It's great that you have a decent employer who will let you set things
up so that you can work most effectively. Anyone who didn't want to let
you do that would be an idiot, IMO, since getting employees to work
effectively *should* be any employer's goal!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 22nd 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Enfilade wrote:
Hello,

I haven't been around in a bit so wanted to drop a line.

I am thriving in the chiropractic clinic job - however with that being
full time, my part time night job, cartooning for the paper AND other
obligations, I've not been around the group in about a month and
change.

snip
It is amazing the difference when you work somewhere with people who
are willing to listen to you, help you, and respect you.

Kitties are all fat, badly behaved, and happy.

Purrs to all those who need them.

I hope to be around more soon.

--Fil

I'm really glad you are working with people who are understanding.
Lots of purrs for everything to work out for you, Fil,
Polonca and Soncek
Old August 26th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Enfilade wrote:
[...]

I have been wondering how you are doing and if you got some kind of
diagnosis. I'm glad that you have solved the mystery and are on the way
to sorting out how to live with it.

Purrs continue.

Susan M
Otis and Chester