Is there an RB for all???

Old August 19th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Is there an RB for all???

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

If you believe there is an RB for pets there is one for your fish
for certain and for hamsters, chickens, everything. Especially
tapirs. I've fallen in love with tapirs recently, I wanted a
couple of them when I saw how great they were on a few zoo TV
programs recently Of course I cannot have a tapir, but omg how I want
one. How
lovely they are and how kind to their keepers. Want one, want
one.. Tweed

OK, I thought I may have been thinking of the wrong animal when you
said tapirs are lovely, so I looked it up and, no, I was correct:
http://www.tikaltravel.com/images/ph...ages/tapir.jpg. Bless
your heart for your kindness in thinking this is a lovely animal,
you are a better person than I! ;

I think they are wonderful. Don't ask me why, I can't explain it, there is
something about them that touches my soul.

About this animal, here's something that I was really surprised
about... I watch almost everything on "Animal Planet" (I don't know
if you get it in the UK, but it's a whole channel about nothing but
animals). They have a new craze lately for shows about animal
attacks - one is where they take the person who was attacked and
bring them face to face with the type of animal that attacked them
(something *I* would never do, but some people will do anything for
their 15 minutes of fame, I guess). One lady featured was a zoo
keeper in charge of the tapirs. YES!!! She was attacked by a tapir
- and it mauled her very badly, just about tearing off her face and
it *did* tear off her arm! I would never have believed it if I
hadn't see it - tapirs appear to be so slow and calm! Anyway, this
is rambling, but your post made me think of this and I'm in a
rambling mood today! ; Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

I got curious and looked this up online - here's the story from the
New York Times:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C1A96E9582 60
or http://tinyurl.com/6njk8a.

I've looked at the link and probably the fact that there was a young baby
there maybe? They are after all, wild animals.
However all the tapirs I have seen on the TV here recently (in our zoos)
seem calm and kind. They roll over for belly-rubs and tonight a keeper
was waiting up for an imminent birth with dad tapir sitting by, and he
snuggled up to her and licked her face.
Don't tell me they are not lovely at all, allow me my illusions. I find
them beautiful, in a strange way. They are not conventionally attractive,
I will give you that. I just love them somehow.

Tweed

Of course I wouldn't tell you they aren't lovely (to you ;) - just that you
have an extra large heart! I shouldn't even comment because *I* think
snakes are almost as gorgeous as cats - they fascinate me and I love
touching them. That's hardly a popularly held sentiment either!

You're probably right about there being a baby tapir involved, the maternal
instinct to protect her young is one of the most powerful in the animal
kingdom.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 19th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Tapirs (was: Is there an RB for all???)

Christina Websell wrote:

CatNipped wrote:

OK, I thought I may have been thinking of the wrong animal when you
said tapirs are lovely, so I looked it up and, no, I was correct:
http://www.tikaltravel.com/images/ph...ages/tapir.jpg. Bless
your heart for your kindness in thinking this is a lovely animal,
you are a better person than I! ;

I think they are wonderful. Don't ask me why, I can't explain it, there is
something about them that touches my soul.

You're not alone. I used to work with a woman who had a real thing about
them. She had photos of them on her office wall.

This workgroup was very unusual in that almost everyone loved animals and
many were interested in wildlife. One of our "team-building" activities,
where you get to take off work together and do something fun as a group,
was to go to a local aquarium. Several of these coworkers went on wildlife
trips for their vacations. And at the beginning of staff meetings, while
waiting for everyone to arrive, we'd tell stories about our cats. I miss
that group!

Anyway, we had a tapir-lover in the group. I had never even heard of them
before I met her!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 20th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Tapirs

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

CatNipped wrote:

OK, I thought I may have been thinking of the wrong animal when you
said tapirs are lovely, so I looked it up and, no, I was correct:
http://www.tikaltravel.com/images/ph...ages/tapir.jpg. Bless
your heart for your kindness in thinking this is a lovely animal,
you are a better person than I! ;

I think they are wonderful. Don't ask me why, I can't explain it, there is
something about them that touches my soul.

You're not alone. I used to work with a woman who had a real thing about
them. She had photos of them on her office wall.

I encountered one in a "petting zoo" once, and also fell in love. A
really friendly, affectionate animal. Related to the horse, and had
that same warm, sweet "horsy" odor.
Old August 20th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

OK, I thought I may have been thinking of the wrong animal when you
said tapirs are lovely, so I looked it up and, no, I was correct:
http://www.tikaltravel.com/images/ph...ages/tapir.jpg. Bless
your heart for your kindness in thinking this is a lovely animal,
you are a better person than I! ;
I think they are wonderful. Don't ask me why, I can't explain it,
there is something about them that touches my soul.

You're not alone. I used to work with a woman who had a real thing
about them. She had photos of them on her office wall.

I encountered one in a "petting zoo" once, and also fell in love. A
really friendly, affectionate animal. Related to the horse, and had
that same warm, sweet "horsy" odor.

The Edinburgh zoo has a "sponsor an animal" scheme and we picked a tapir
one year. I think they're more closely related to pigs than to horses.
Baby tapirs are very cute, do a google image search for them.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old August 20th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
[...]

My father and I share a love of the warthog. Its like the strut around
thinking "Yup, I know I am ugly, but I really don't care, I am happy"

That and of course, the meerkat. Gotta love those cheeky little things.

Yowie
Old August 21st 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Now you sound like Charlie. He is going to be arrested for trying to
smuggle something out of a petting zoo one of these days.

We are usually OK unless they allow him to pick something up. Then no
matter what it is, it's likely to burrow its nose into his neck and he
won't want to put it down.

Birds land next to him. Squirrels come sit on his lap. It hopeless.

(And we won't get into the day he was feeding a wild bear sow potato
salad off a long handled spoon. In front of her cubs no less)

Jo

Old August 21st 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Jofirey" wrote in message

Now you sound like Charlie. He is going to be arrested for trying to
smuggle something out of a petting zoo one of these days.

We are usually OK unless they allow him to pick something up. Then no
matter what it is, it's likely to burrow its nose into his neck and he
won't want to put it down.

Birds land next to him. Squirrels come sit on his lap. It hopeless.

(And we won't get into the day he was feeding a wild bear sow potato salad
off a long handled spoon. In front of her cubs no less)

Jo

In our family it is genetic. Rob's mom, Rob, his sister and her kids, and
Amanda are all animal magnets. Me, they run away from. Pine Cone did
decide that Rob's dad needed his help with shaving though.

Pam S.

Old August 23rd 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On 2008-08-18, jbhajos wrote:

Do you suppose there's a Rainbow Bridge for fish?

Maybe if the fish is a Unitarian.

Bud
Old August 24th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

jbhajos wrote:
Do you suppose there's a Rainbow Bridge for fish? I know, a fish is not
fuzzy, soft, cuddly, cute, playful, and "pettable" but.... Our
algae-eater, named "Fish", died last week. We were fond of him and miss
him. He had outlived all others during his 22 years as a tiny creature
that matured into a 13-incher and was the last in the acquarium for
several years. He looked lonely but our fish-experts advised against
adding more to the tank. We worked so hard that last day to save him but
I guess it was just his time to go.

Maybe he's swimming around *under* the Bridge?

The RB is for pets. I wonder if there is one for elephants, lions,
rabbits, mice, antelope, squirrels, chipmunks, et al? Just thinking
(which is something I probably shouldn't be doing).

Jeanne

Purrs and hugs,
Polonca and Soncek