Inappropriate Peeing

Old August 22nd 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Inappropriate Peeing

I've been owned by cats all my life and have never had this problem before
now.

The problem started when we rescued Hunter and he was kept in the upper
three bedrooms, bathroom and hall (we installed a door at the end of the
hall to keep him in and the other cats out). He was an intact tom for the
first week and a half we had him until his "snip" could be scheduled. I
wasn't surprised when he started marking his territory (even though our
current clowder, 2 girls and 2 boys, were already desexed) - that was pretty
standard behavior for a tom being placed in new digs. We cleaned up with
"Nature's Miracle" whenever we found a new marking (we bought a black light
to look for stains not noticeable to the naked eye).

As most of you know, Hunter died suddenly, after we'd had him for only 5
weeks, from a blood clot "thrown" to his lungs - we had no idea beforehand
that he'd had myocardiopathy, 3 vet visits by two different vets didn't
detect it.

Even though we thought we'd cleaned thoroughly, apparently we didn't.
Somebody started peeing first in the guest bedroom where Hunter had spent
most of his time, then in DH's office which was Hunter's second favored
spot. We cleaned again, thoroughly (I think I'm supporting the stock
holders of "Nature's Miracle" by now), but it continued. So then we cleaned
yet again and closed off those two rooms (our house is big enough that the
clowder still has lots of room to roam despite that).

For a while that seemed to have solved the problem, but yesterday when we
got home somebody had peed all over the stair landing. I know for a fact
nobody, not even Hunter, had sprayed there previously, so this couldn't be
somebody trying to overlay a scent mark. DH thinks somebody may have been
playing, gotten too excited, or too involved, to make it the rest of the way
downstairs and into the garage to the litter boxes.

I'm now pretty much at my wit's end and don't know what else to do. There
is absolutely *ZERO* tension in the clowder - everyone is great friends with
each other and they groom and play and sleep together, so I don't think a
Feliway diffuser will help (it didn't keep Hunter from spraying to begin
with when we were using it then). Cleaning with "Nature's Miracle" doesn't
seem to help - they keep finding new places to pee.

DH caught both Archer (male) and Sammy (female) in the act of peeing in his
office, and I found Ozzy with a wet butt once, so it is different cats
spraying in different places. This makes me think it's a behavioral issue
rather than a health issue like a UTI. Archer, Demi and Sammy have all been
to the vet within the last couple of months and checked out just fine.
Jessie and Ozzy haven't, but haven't had any changes in eating or playing.

I really don't know what else to do at this point, so any other advice
anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 22nd 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I've been owned by cats all my life and have never had this problem before
now.

Sorry, that should have been *3* girls and 2 boys.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 22nd 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote

| I've been owned by cats all my life and have never had this problem before
| now.

Ditto.

| The problem started when we rescued Hunter and he was kept in the upper
| three bedrooms, bathroom and hall (we installed a door at the end of the
| hall to keep him in and the other cats out). He was an intact tom for the
| first week and a half we had him until his "snip" could be scheduled. I
| wasn't surprised when he started marking his territory (even though our
| current clowder, 2 girls and 2 boys, were already desexed) - that was
pretty
| standard behavior for a tom being placed in new digs. We cleaned up with
| "Nature's Miracle" whenever we found a new marking (we bought a black
light
| to look for stains not noticeable to the naked eye).

I've been using NM recently - decided to try it as an alternative to
UrineGone - and finding that it does not work nearly as well as UrineGone.
Some spots I've given it 3-4 applications and the smell than even my human
nose can detect has not vanished, where a single application of UrineGone
would resolve a similar spot. It takes a few good soakings in NM followed by
several runs through the washer with NM only (no soap) to remove an accident
on clothing, and even then, a stain remains. This never happened with
UrineGone, I only had to spritz it on the fabric (like a spray-on stain
remover) prior to washing for complete removal of odor and stain.

| Even though we thought we'd cleaned thoroughly, apparently we didn't.

I would blame NM for that.

| Somebody started peeing first in the guest bedroom where Hunter had spent
| most of his time, then in DH's office which was Hunter's second favored
| spot. We cleaned again, thoroughly (I think I'm supporting the stock
| holders of "Nature's Miracle" by now), but it continued. So then we
cleaned
| yet again and closed off those two rooms (our house is big enough that the
| clowder still has lots of room to roam despite that).
|
| For a while that seemed to have solved the problem, but yesterday when we
| got home somebody had peed all over the stair landing. I know for a fact
| nobody, not even Hunter, had sprayed there previously, so this couldn't be
| somebody trying to overlay a scent mark. DH thinks somebody may have been
| playing, gotten too excited, or too involved, to make it the rest of the
way
| downstairs and into the garage to the litter boxes.
|
| I'm now pretty much at my wit's end and don't know what else to do. There
| is absolutely *ZERO* tension in the clowder - everyone is great friends
with
| each other and they groom and play and sleep together, so I don't think a
| Feliway diffuser will help (it didn't keep Hunter from spraying to begin
| with when we were using it then). Cleaning with "Nature's Miracle"
doesn't
| seem to help - they keep finding new places to pee.
|
| DH caught both Archer (male) and Sammy (female) in the act of peeing in
his
| office, and I found Ozzy with a wet butt once, so it is different cats
| spraying in different places. This makes me think it's a behavioral issue
| rather than a health issue like a UTI. Archer, Demi and Sammy have all
been
| to the vet within the last couple of months and checked out just fine.
| Jessie and Ozzy haven't, but haven't had any changes in eating or playing.
|
| I really don't know what else to do at this point, so any other advice
| anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe you ought to get some UrineGone and treat all those places one more
time, if you can remember them all. I never had a problem when I used
UrineGone but since buying and using only NM, Eli is spraying regularly,
Tommy is having an occasional accident, and Abelard has totally lost it when
it comes to pee errors. I'm keeping my remaining supply of NM for soaking
peed-on clothing only. It's OK for an initial treatment (but will not do the
total job) and all but useless for anything else even when used in a strong
concentration and kept damp as the instructions say.

Old August 22nd 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

Default Whoops! Inappropriate Peeing

"Pat" wrote

| I've been using NM recently - decided to try it as an alternative to
| UrineGone - and finding that it does not work nearly as well as UrineGone.

Sorry about that! I didn't mean Nature's Miracle, I meant Unique Pet Odor
and Stain Remover. This product:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unique-Pet-Odor-...84577390QQcmdZ

Nature's Miracle does work for me. It's the "Unique" product that I meant to
be criticizing. So I don't have advice for you after all.

My mind is not what it used to be....

Old August 22nd 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sara

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

you mention the litter boxes being in the garage, any chance of adding a few
boxes throughout the house? maybe if they have more places to go they'll
use the new litter boxes?

Sara

Old August 22nd 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Inappropriate Peeing - Mystery Solved!

Gawds, I feel so guilty and so *STUPID*!!!

It wasn't marking territory, it wasn't stress, it wasn't UTIs....

We keep the litter boxes in our attached garage. The door to the garage has
a cat door in it so the cats can come and go to their boxes. The cat door
had somehow gotten switched over from "open" to "locked". Neither of us
thought to check that since we never, for any reason, lock the thing - I
guess one of the cats brushed the little slide thingie when coming or going.
I had DH pop the slide lock off of it so it doesn't happen again.

Sheesh! smacking forehead

--

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 23rd 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"CatNipped" wrote:
Gawds, I feel so guilty and so *STUPID*!!!

It wasn't marking territory, it wasn't stress, it wasn't UTIs....

We keep the litter boxes in our attached garage. The door to the garage has
a cat door in it so the cats can come and go to their boxes. The cat door
had somehow gotten switched over from "open" to "locked". Neither of us
thought to check that since we never, for any reason, lock the thing - I
guess one of the cats brushed the little slide thingie when coming or going.
I had DH pop the slide lock off of it so it doesn't happen again.

Sheesh! smacking forehead

I'm so relieved that it's not medical or behavioral issue. But it's
probably nothing compared to the relief your clowder feels.
Old August 23rd 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Takayuki" wrote in message
news
"CatNipped" wrote:
Gawds, I feel so guilty and so *STUPID*!!!

It wasn't marking territory, it wasn't stress, it wasn't UTIs....

We keep the litter boxes in our attached garage. The door to the garage
has
a cat door in it so the cats can come and go to their boxes. The cat door
had somehow gotten switched over from "open" to "locked". Neither of us
thought to check that since we never, for any reason, lock the thing - I
guess one of the cats brushed the little slide thingie when coming or
going.
I had DH pop the slide lock off of it so it doesn't happen again.

Sheesh! smacking forehead

I'm so relieved that it's not medical or behavioral issue. But it's
probably nothing compared to the relief your clowder feels.

That's why I feel so guilty!!! Can you imagine how hard they tried to "hold
it" until they just couldn't any more??!!! My poor, poor babies!!! What an
awful mommy I am!!!!!

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 23rd 08, 07:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

CatNipped kirjoitti:
"Takayuki" wrote in message
news
"CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

And they weren't trying to attract your attention to it?? "Moooommmyyy,
open the door, I really really need to go NOW!!!"

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old August 23rd 08, 10:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
Gawds, I feel so guilty and so *STUPID*!!!

It wasn't marking territory, it wasn't stress, it wasn't UTIs....

We keep the litter boxes in our attached garage. The door to the
garage has a cat door in it so the cats can come and go to their
boxes. The cat door had somehow gotten switched over from "open" to
"locked". Neither of us thought to check that since we never, for
any reason, lock the thing - I guess one of the cats brushed the
little slide thingie when coming or going. I had DH pop the slide
lock off of it so it doesn't happen again.
Sheesh! smacking forehead

Sorry but, ROTFL it's so easy to miss the obvious. I'm so glad there's
nothing wrong with your owner.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart