Nanki-Poo

Old August 23rd 05, 11:53 PM
Yoj

Default Nanki-Poo

First, an apology. I spent 10 days (instead of the 9 I had planned)
visiting my mother in Alaska. Every since I got back, I've been swamped.
I've peeked in a few times, but just can't keep up with the group. Purrs,
hugs and sympathy to everyone who needs them.

I'm writing now because of Nanki-Poo. A few days ago, he came in with a
bald, raw-looking spot on the back of his neck. It was about an inch long
and 3/4 of an inch wide. It wasn't actually bleeding, although it looked a
bit oozy in spots. It looked as though someone, or something, had yanked a
bunch of fur out by the roots.

Nanki-Poo went through a spell of killing a rat every day or two. There
were some living in the greenery on the fence between my yard and my
neighbor's yard, and a couple of them found their way (or were brought) into
my house. Apparently he ran out of rats, because I haven't seen one for a
couple of weeks. However, he's started on birds, and every three or four
days there's another one. (He always brings them in the house.)

I suspect that a bird retaliated or defended itself, its nest or its young
by yanking the fur out. I thought about taking him to TED, but I couldn't
see what a vet could do. Since I'm still paying for Lindy's dental work, I
decided to wait and watch. A scab had formed by the next day, and it looked
as though healing was going well. The day after, the scab had come off and
it bled a very little bit. There's another scab now, but the bald spot is
enlarging. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Do I
need to take him to a vet?

Joy

Old August 24th 05, 12:12 AM
Helen Miles

"Yoj" wrote in message

The day after, the scab had come off and
it bled a very little bit. There's another scab now, but the bald spot is
enlarging. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Do I
need to take him to a vet?///

Personally, if it were me, I'd get him checked out by a vet - especially
if the scab isn't healing. It could be any number of things from an
allergy to something more serious.

Purrs that he's back to his handsome self soon.

Helen M

Old August 24th 05, 12:47 AM
Christopher Havlicek

Yoj wrote:
First, an apology. I spent 10 days (instead of the 9 I had planned)
snipped for server

I suspect that a bird retaliated or defended itself, its nest or its young
by yanking the fur out. I thought about taking him to TED, but I couldn't
see what a vet could do. Since I'm still paying for Lindy's dental work, I
decided to wait and watch. A scab had formed by the next day, and it looked
as though healing was going well. The day after, the scab had come off and
it bled a very little bit. There's another scab now, but the bald spot is
enlarging. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Do I
need to take him to a vet?

Joy

When I rescued Hazard, he started developing bald spots at the base
of his neck, above the shoulders. They were roughly dime sized, and
scabby. Turned out he had an allergy to the food I was giving him.
The vet put him on Hills w/d while we tried to settle his digestive
issues, and the spots gradually went away.

There are other causes than that, including said bird retaliation,
but a vet visit would most likely help figure things out. He may have
gotten something from the rats he was so diligently catching.

In any case, purrs that the cause is discovered soon, and that healing
proceeds quickly...

Chris, Tripper, Katie, and Hazard

Old August 24th 05, 01:19 AM
Yoj

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:193916f3e7d6fabe5f3454c3091669b5.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Yoj" wrote in message

The day after, the scab had come off and
it bled a very little bit. There's another scab now, but the bald spot

is
enlarging. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Do I
need to take him to a vet?///

Personally, if it were me, I'd get him checked out by a vet - especially
if the scab isn't healing. It could be any number of things from an
allergy to something more serious.

Purrs that he's back to his handsome self soon.

Helen M

Thank you, Helen. I just made an appointment to take him in at 3:00
tomorrow.

Joy

Old August 24th 05, 01:20 AM
Yoj

"Christopher Havlicek" wrote in message
Yoj wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Chris. I now have an appointment to take him in at 3:00
tomorrow.

Joy

Old August 24th 05, 06:00 AM
Marina

Yoj wrote:

[...]

That was my first thought, too, that he might have caught something from
the rats. We'll be purring for nanki-Poo's vet visit to go well, and
that his sore is easily treatable and heals quickly.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old August 24th 05, 07:10 AM
Krista

Yoj wrote:

(snippety)

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Do I
need to take him to a vet?

Joy

Awww, purrs for Nanki-Poo. I see that you have an appointment with
TED, and hope it turns out to be something simple.

------
Krista
Who knows what you mean about not being able to keep up. ;-)

Old August 24th 05, 09:55 AM
Exocat

"Yoj" wrote
I suspect that a bird retaliated or defended itself, its nest or its
young
by yanking the fur out. I thought about taking him to TED, but I
couldn't
see what a vet could do. Since I'm still paying for Lindy's dental
work, I
decided to wait and watch. A scab had formed by the next day, and it
looked
as though healing was going well. The day after, the scab had come
off and
it bled a very little bit. There's another scab now, but the bald
spot is
enlarging. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Do
need to take him to a vet?

Glad you're off to TED (despite the cost) to establish the cause. It's
quite
likely nanki-poo himself who's grooming off the forming scab 'cos it
itches: Bandit always pefers pain to itching and invariably scratches
injuries until they're much worse. A dexamethasone or prednisone
injection can help with that, I believe the dex. effect lasts longer.
But you're certainly doing the best thing.

Purrs it goes well

G & the FF

Old August 24th 05, 02:36 PM
Adrian

Yoj wrote:
[...]

Purrs for Nanki-Poo to be OK without seeing TED.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old August 24th 05, 10:16 PM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes for Nanki-Poo's problem to be easy to fix and
not expensive,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Yoj" wrote in message
m...
[...]

The Silly Cat Survey Enfilade Cat anecdotes 50 July 17th 05 06:45 PM
Nanki-Poo's phobia Yoj Cat anecdotes 16 March 6th 05 06:19 AM
Announcing . . . Yoj Cat anecdotes 96 November 16th 04 05:43 PM
Happy Purrday, Nanki Poo Nanki Poo Cat anecdotes 4 April 5th 04 12:23 PM
Minke visits the vet David Stevenson Cat anecdotes 3 January 8th 04 01:34 PM