Dry food addict. Refuses anything else

Old April 7th 14, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jane B

Default Dry food addict. Refuses anything else

Now that I've read how much healthier canned food over dry, I've been trying to convert my cat. She is incredibly fussy. Only eats dry food. She does not over eat, so she is fed at will.

I have tried about 30 different brands and flavors of canned foods. The only kind she's will to touch are Wellness Select with SkipJack tuna and Trader Joe's Tuna for Cats. Decent quality, but I really hate feeding her tuna and she absolutely won't touch anything else. Strangely, she loves Fancy Feast Appetizer white meat chicken, but first of all that stuff is not a balanced food, and secondly it's made with sodium nitrite. They should be ashamed!

I've tried every trick suggested in this group. She just refuses to eat at all if it's not dry or tuna flavor. If there's even a hint of another flavor mixed in she won't touch it. I also tried turning her dry into wet with water. She won't eat that either.

Now what??
Old April 7th 14, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 4/7/2014 11:55 AM, Jane B wrote:

Now what??

............Do you have any pet stores that sell raw meals for cats?
Toss about 1/4 in very hot pan and sear for just a few seconds, then
offer it to her.
....Or use the FF Appetizer as a frosting on some other food she might
eat. Only offer a tbsp at a time. Doesn't want it? Pick it up and try
again in a couple of hours.
....You might also try tossing an unopened can of food in some hot water.
Sometimes warm food does the trick.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old April 7th 14, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Jane B jblatz2 gmail.com wrote:

Now that I've read how much healthier canned food over dry

Let me guess, you read that on Wiki****? You should consider the
source of that nonsense.

There is nothing wrong with dry food for most cats. The only
difference between dry and wet food is that wet food is wet. You
can manually wet dry food. Of course you should provide fresh
water at all times especially if you do not manually wet it.

Purina Veterinary Diets are outrageously expensive and they come
in wet or dry. I just spent a fortune on it. The idea that the dry
version is not the same as the wet version is just silly.
Old April 7th 14, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 4/7/2014 1:21 PM, John Doe wrote:
Jane B jblatz2 gmail.com wrote:

Now that I've read how much healthier canned food over dry

Let me guess, you read that on Wiki****? You should consider the
source of that nonsense.

..............I think it's time you did a little reading and understood
the physiology of cats. They're obligate carnivores, have no need of
carbs at all. They're desert animals and tend to conserve water and do
not have the thirst mechanism that dogs do, such as get hot, drink a
lot. You'll rarely see a cat stand at the water bowl sucking down a lot
of water in one go unless it's very hot or they've got HT or kidney
issues. Every time they eat dry food, they need to drink water to be
able to digest it. Since they're not big drinkers cats on dry food only
are continually short on water, which is not a good thing, for male cats
in particular.

There is nothing wrong with dry food for most cats. The only
difference between dry and wet food is that wet food is wet.

..........Wrong.

You
can manually wet dry food.

...........Yah sure and let it sit around and grow mold after it's wet.
You'd be surprised how fast that happens as grains are more likely to be
contaminated with mold that canned food.

Of course you should provide fresh
water at all times especially if you do not manually wet it.

Purina Veterinary Diets are outrageously expensive and they come
in wet or dry. I just spent a fortune on it. The idea that the dry
version is not the same as the wet version is just silly.

.............Do some homework. Carbs are needed for kibble to be formed
so for the most part it is usually higher in carbs than canned, unless
it's cooked floor sweepings. Go look at the hyperthyroid thread and
read a vet endocrinologist's take on cat food.

Old April 8th 14, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

High quality foods have the same nutrient levels whether they are
wet or dry. Wet is more likely to include preservatives since
bacteria grow in moisture. Dry food can be moistened without
leaving it "sitting around". Wet food causes tooth rot, that's why
all dental health cat food is dry.

This thing probably gets its "science" from wiki****...

--

Path: eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!feeder01 .blueworldhosting.com!peer03.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!cm18no582466qab.0!news-out.google.com!du2ni3360qab.0!nntp.google.com!Xl.t ags.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nnt p.giganews.com!local2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.e arthlink.com!news.earthlink.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

Old April 8th 14, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.spirit
buglady[_2_]

Cross posting removed - a sure sign of a troll.
On 4/7/2014 7:17 PM, John Doe wrote:
High quality foods have the same nutrient levels whether they are
wet or dry. Wet is more likely to include preservatives since
bacteria grow in moisture. Dry food can be moistened without
leaving it "sitting around". Wet food causes tooth rot, that's why
all dental health cat food is dry.

This thing probably gets its "science" from wiki****...

..................Nope. I'm not going to bother to cite anything as
you'll never read it. You're satisfied with your ignorance. Go back to
your litter.

Old April 8th 14, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.spirit,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

"I'm not going to bother to cite anything"
Of course it cannot produce any credible citations.

High quality foods have the same nutrient levels whether they are
wet or dry. Wet is more likely to include preservatives since
bacteria grow in moisture. Free feeding is recommended, that's
difficult to do with wet food. Dry food can be moistened without
leaving it "sitting around". Wet food causes tooth rot, that's why
all dental health cat food is dry. Cats know where the water bowls
are and they drink regularly.

This thing probably gets its "science" from wiki****... And if it
doesn't like the cross posts, it should act like a grown-up...

Old April 8th 14, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jane B

Thanks for the suggestions, Buglady. Except for the raw food, I have tried the other tricks. They don't work. As for the raw, I'll try it but I doubt it will work. She has no interest in "people" food, even fish.

What about the tuna? I'm guessing feeding her tuna too often is not a good idea. As I said, it's the only canned cat food she's willing to eat - and not much of that.
Old April 8th 14, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Please avoid using Google Groups. Use a real newsreader.

When you want to address your reply to somebody, reply under their
reply. That's what UseNet threading is all about.

Learn how to feed your cats. When you want your cat to eat new
food, you introduce it gradually, you don't just dump the new food
in front of the cat and expect it to eat. If you think you can
research dry versus wet cat food, you should definitely be able to
find that information about gradually changing cat food. It's
common knowledge among cat owners.

--

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 08:03:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jane B jblatz2 gmail.com

Old April 8th 14, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 4/8/2014 11:03 AM, Jane B wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, Buglady. Except for the raw food, I have tried the other tricks.

They don't work.
.........maybe rotate tricks and keep trying? I know all about stubborn
cats! The pet food store used to have freeze dried liver bits that I
would crumble to powder over food to increase appetite. You didn't need
much and it was aromatic.

As for the raw, I'll try it but I doubt it will work. She has no
interest in "people" food, even fish.
..........You never know......warm aromatic seared chicken may be
delectable. You could get some deli turkey and see if she likes that.
Think positive. Put the food down and walk away. Pick it up after half
an hour.

What about the tuna? I'm guessing feeding her tuna too often is not a good idea.

............Personally I stay away from a lot of the canned fishy cat
foods. It's as addictive as kibble, which appears to be the issue. And
not believing that they put the "best" in cat foods, who knows how much
mercury is in that tuna.

As I said, it's the only canned cat food she's willing to eat - and
not much of that.

............If she eats it, use it. Only dole out 1 tbsp at a time. If
she's eating even 2 tbsps a day that's enough to keep her going so hang
tough for a couple of days. Pick up the kibble so there's no choice in
the matter.

..........A friend of mine said his cat had no interest in canned food,
but now that's all she'll eat. Don't know what happened. I think it's
not having the kibble dish on the floor all the time, which isn't a
great way to feed anyway, because you never know how much they're
eating. I feed twice a day, then a tiny snack at noon and bed time.
Setting up feeding times can help appetite issues. If there's food
available all the time, they're never really that hungry.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

R U an Addict ? Need Help ? Shailer's Shack, Inc Cat health & behaviour 0 May 21st 08 05:37 PM
Addict... wafflycat Cat anecdotes 9 December 26th 05 10:17 AM
Cat refuses to come into the house Norbert Fortener Cat health & behaviour 2 October 20th 05 10:52 PM
Feral cat refuses to eat Sheri Cat health & behaviour 38 December 12th 03 04:37 AM
Lacey is a TV addict Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 10 November 2nd 03 03:13 AM