OT and one for the Daves. At least she wasn't choosing melons...

Old August 15th 03, 09:45 AM
Hopitus2

The personnel would go out of their minds with frustration in south Florida
these days during the August "dog days". Most people here avert their eyes
so as not to spy what you Brits would call other folks' exposed "bits" not
covered by revealing attire.

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" wrote in message
: See
:
: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...=news.quirkies
:
:
: "Bikini-clad shopper told to cover up
:
: A mother-of-three has explained how she was left 'humiliated' when a
: supermarket assistant told her the bikini top she was wearing was
inappropriate
: for shopping.
:
: Elizabeth Webster, 43, went into the Tesco store in Sleaford,
Lincolnshire,
: with her 15-year-old daughter, wearing a pair of shorts and a bikini top.
:
: She was standing at the fruit counter when a member of staff told her she
: should cover up in future.
:
: Mrs Webster, a parent-governor at her local school in Ruskington, Lincs,
said
: she was left absolutely speechless by the remarks.
:
: She said: "It was while I was choosing some oranges. This woman came up to
me
: and she said 'Madam, could I ask you to cover up next time you come in the
: store'.
:
: "I was speechless. I didn't reply. I was totally humiliated and
embarrassed. I
: didn't think in any way that what I had on was going to cause me any
problems."
:
: Mrs Webster, whose husband Stuart works for a bank, said she had just
popped
: into the store to buy some lunch during the hot weather.
:
: A Tesco spokeswoman said: "We would never want to embarrass any of our
: customers and we apologise if that has happened in this particular case.
:
: "The store in question has already been in contact with Mrs Webster. Aside
from
: issues of hygiene many of our customers have told us that they feel
: uncomfortable when they see other shoppers wearing skimpy clothing in our
: stores.
:
: "We do get complaints on the issue and we try and find a balance to make
sure
: everyone is happy while they shop. We don't have a formal dress code
policy but
: we leave it to the manager's discretion and common sense."
:
:
: Story filed: 17:33 Thursday 14th August 2003"
:
: Cheers, helen s
:
:
: ~~~~~~~~~~
: This is sent from a redundant email
: Mail sent to it is dumped
: My correct one can be gleaned from
: h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
: by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
: ~~~~~~~~~~

Old August 15th 03, 10:44 AM
bewtifulfreak

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
The personnel would go out of their minds with frustration in south

Florida
these days during the August "dog days". Most people here avert their eyes
so as not to spy what you Brits would call other folks' exposed "bits" not
covered by revealing attire.

Yeah, I can only imagine what a heart attack they'd have in California, LOL!

Old August 15th 03, 09:24 PM
Jo Firey

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message
"Hopitus2" wrote in message
The personnel would go out of their minds with frustration in south

Florida
these days during the August "dog days". Most people here avert their eyes
so as not to spy what you Brits would call other folks' exposed "bits" not
covered by revealing attire.

Yeah, I can only imagine what a heart attack they'd have in California, LOL!

Ain't that the truth. When we have our over 100 degree days lots of us tend to
forget that our "at home" attire might not be entirely appropriate in public. To the
extent that what is considered appropriate is changing.

The only rule that seems to apply at all is "no shoes, no shirt, no service"

Now I'm sure lots of you will tell me I should not be driving barefoot, but it is at
least as safe as driving in sandals or flip flops. I've done it all my life. And
have to remember that I can't go in stores that way. Also have to remember that some
tops that can be worn without a bra at home, can't at the grocery store.

Jo

Old August 16th 03, 07:48 AM
Yowie

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
[...]

Pubs and clubs (ie, pubs with membership requirements) tend to have dress
codes, but supermarkets? Never heard of such a thing. Heck, going barefoot
in summer is so common here, I don't think anyone would look twice. Ditto
with going braless (OK, some people like Dave might look twice, and then a
third, and then get hit by their wives/girlfriends) and even a bikini top
and shorts is perfectly fine for summer wear in supermarkets here. So are
work overalls, come to think of it, anythin goes really. - as long as the
pink bits are covered, no-one really cares.

Yowie