Not sure what to do now

Old July 29th 12, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Not sure what to do now

Persia does not like the Royal Canin or the Prescription Hill's k/d canned
food the vet said she should eat. (They sold me both brands so I could see
which she liked better... the answer is neither one.) She was merely
picking at it, just eating enough to stave off hunger pangs.

I called the vet yesterday about her not liking this food. The first thing
she suggested was (yep, Christina!) hospitalize her so they can give her
sub-q fluids. First of all, I can't afford that. Secondly, while I know
hydration can be a problem in cats with early renal failure, I really don't
believe it's an issue for her. Persia drinks a LOT of water; she always
has. (Some of you may recall I bought her a Drinkwell fountain because she
kept drinking from the faucet while I was brushing my teeth!) She
definitely drinks a lot of water.

Then the vet suggested an appetite stimulant. Just so happens I already had
some from last year. I put one in a pill pocket and she scarfed it down.
Sure enough, last night she ate more of the k/d than she had previously.

BUT... this food does not agree with her at all. During the night she
vomited and developed diarrhea. Oh crap! (Pardon the pun). The
prescription food made her sick! I'm afraid to try the Royal Canin again.
(She "liked" the k/d better than the RC, which isn't saying much. But if
she won't eat it, or if it, too, makes her sick, what's the point? This
food isn't cheap!)

After cleaning up the mess I gave her some Fancy Feast. At least she'll
have some food in her tummy. I left a message for the vet. Of course
they're closed - it's Sunday. I'll keep an eye on her throughout the day.
If necessary I'll call the emergency number.

I'm just venting, really. Thanks for listening.

Jill

Old July 29th 12, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when "jmcquown" wrote:
BUT... this food does not agree with her at all.
During the night she vomited and developed
diarrhea.

It may be the pill that made her sick, but I suspect the sudden
change in diet causes the diarrhea. We had that problem with Presto.

You may have to mix a little of the new food in her Fancy Feast,
increasing it a little at a time. That's what worked for Presto.

--
Proof of sanity forged upon request
Old July 29th 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Please read this page, Jill
http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm

There is a section on how to start your cat on prescription food, which
says:
If you happen to have a CKD cat who likes the prescription food, it is
still better not to try to switch your cat over in one fell swoop,
because a sudden change of food may cause diarrhoea.

This might be what happened with Persia.

There is also a section on what to do if your cat won't or can't eat the
prescription food. Lots of good info on there.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old July 29th 12, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

White meat is easy on the kidneys. If Persia will not eat the tinned kidney
diet, try her on chicken legs. Don't do the breast meat until end stage
when she won't eat anything else.
In the meantime, of course see what your vet suggests as an alternative. It
could be that there are dry alternatives but her teeth would have to be good
and I don't know whether they are or not.
Sub-q by the vet is the last resort here but from what you have said you are
not at that point at all.
She has an early diagnosis? or did you know something was not right before?
Not trying to say bad but it makes a difference about what to do and how to
feed, and also how your vet sees it.
I don't think the tinned kidney feeds are very palatable, it's not the
company's fault who make them as they need to include everything in there
that is needed. Unfortunately cats & dogs (had old dogs with CRF too) need
something extremely lovely to tempt them to eat as they deteriorated.
I have said this many times on the group (not for you,Jill) Do Not Ever Feed
Your Cat The Best Food in the World Because It Proves You Love Them.
Otherwise when they are ill there is nothing to tempt them.

My vet told me this and it's good advice.

Tweed

Old July 30th 12, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Each vet seems to have his or her own opinion about matters like this. Mine
said, "The important thing is that she eat. If she won't eat the food
that's best for her, feed her what she will eat." It is possible that not
having the special food will shorten her life, but so will not eating at
all.

Obviously, you have to make the decision yourself, after consulting your
vet. I'm not telling you what to do, just what I did in a similar
circumstance. Whenever I wonder what course to take with my cats, I try to
think how I would feel if I were in their place. Would I rather live
longer, being forced to eat what I like, or would I rather enjoy what time I
have left? Again, only you can make the decision for your cat.

Joy

Old July 30th 12, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 07/29/2012 06:58 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

IMHO Give her what makes her happy! MLB
Old July 30th 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
Persia does not like the Royal Canin or the Prescription Hill's k/d
canned
food the vet said she should eat. (They sold me both brands so I could
see which she liked better... the answer is neither one.) She was merely
picking at it, just eating enough to stave off hunger pangs.

(snippage)

Each vet seems to have his or her own opinion about matters like this.
Mine
said, "The important thing is that she eat. If she won't eat the food
that's best for her, feed her what she will eat." It is possible that not
having the special food will shorten her life, but so will not eating at
all.

Obviously, you have to make the decision yourself, after consulting your
vet. I'm not telling you what to do, just what I did in a similar
circumstance. Whenever I wonder what course to take with my cats, I try
think how I would feel if I were in their place. Would I rather live
longer, being forced to eat what I like, or would I rather enjoy what time
have left? Again, only you can make the decision for your cat.

Joy

IMHO Give her what makes her happy! MLB

I just went to the store to stock up on Fancy Feast and a couple of cans of
Friskies. She's chowing down! Forget the expensive R/x food. I'll give
her whatever she wants, so long as she eats. Thanks everyone for the
support and encouragement.

Jill

Old July 30th 12, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
[...]

I suspected that's what you'd do. It seemed like the way to go.

Joy

Old July 31st 12, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
[...]

Don't discount the Rx food suiting her yet. If you suddenly switch food (a
lot of people do this when the vet has advised it) it will often upset their
tummies. Try again with, say, 1/4 kidney diet mixed with 3/4 of her usual
for a week and up the proportion of KD weekly until within 4-6 weeks she is
on the Rx food completely. It really does lengthen their life if you can
get them on to it. Yes, it's expensive, I know. I also know what living on
very small income means as I'm doing it atm.

Please don't make a decision yet about giving Persia everything she wants
to eat regardless, I don't think she's got to that stage. Giving them
treaty-foods that don't help damaged kidneys function as best they can is a
panic reaction to a new diagnosis.
Save the bad-for-you-treaty-foods for when she is nearer the end stage of
CRF when she won't eat and turns her nose up at almost everything. I am not
a vet but I am sharing my experience with CRF, not only with my cat, but
with many of my dogs who lived a long time. CRF is the bane of the old cat
or dog.
Tweed

Old August 2nd 12, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Yesterday I started mixing a little of the canned k/d with some Fancy Feast.
She eats it but she definitely knows it's not all FF! At least it's not
making her ill.

Also, they make the feline k/d in kibble form. Since I know Persia drinks a
lot of water anyway, I'll ask the vet about trying some of that instead with
a little FF as a treat a few times a week. An 8.5 oz. bag of the kibble is
a lot less expensive than what I paid for 8 cans of canned!

Thanks again to everyone.

Jill