Cat Food and Mad Cow Disease

Old December 30th 03, 01:49 AM
Steve Crane

"Betsy" -0 wrote in message ...
One buys premium cat food with recognizable ingredients, or else one cooks
for ones cat. I've been trying to educate friends and family and whoever
will listen for YEARS that mystery meats in pet food are bad news, Steve
Crane & Hills to the contrary!

Jean,
Education is a two way street. The term "mystery" meat is simply
silly. Pet foods contain what you the consumer demand to have in the
food. Thus if you want chicken in the food, that's what you get.
Personally I don't care what meat protein a consumer desires, they are
all pretty similar in nutrient composition (lamb excepted). On the
other hand the decision to use any particular ingredient is quite
silly and of little value to the pet. It is the nutrients that the
ingredient provide that are of critical importance. When a consumer
makes a decision based on ingredients they can potentially get into
trouble. Making such a decision is about on par with doing third grade
math - simple addition and subtraction. Making decisions based on the
*nutrients* provided in the food is stepping up to the next level of
nutrition - about on par with high school calculus and trig. As long
as a consumer is content with third grade elementary nutrition, and
there are no disease issues to contend with, choosing a food based on
ingredients works just fine. Unfortunately such choices can prove
potentially disastrous. Placing a geriatric kitty of a food with "good
sounding" ingredients and phosphorus levels above 1.5%, sodium levels
above 1% and low levels of N-3 fatty acids could prove lethal.
Old December 30th 03, 03:04 AM
MacCandace

So it seems almost like we might just as well not worry about it
beyond avoiding the most obvious culprits--unless we can ensure
exactly what is in our foods?

--
Jean B.

Probably. I mean, I'm not worried sick about it or anything but I do have a
slight concern as to whether this whole thing is going to become widespread. I
never feed my cats beef type food anyway; we jsut sort of decided not to when
mad cow broke out in England a few years ago but I'm sure they get some beef
by-products or stock in some of their foods. Just as I assume that I also do
even though I'm vegetarian.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old January 3rd 04, 09:42 PM
Jean B.

Steve Crane wrote:

"Jean B." wrote in message ...

So I wonder how one can avoid such foods, since all of the
credible commercial foods contain byproducts? The chicken etc.
still contains animal byproducts. I guess, then, that one just
assumes that the likelihood of any particular cat getting TSE is
extremely small, just as the chance of our getting it is small.
Still, it is not a comforting thought. It seems easier for me, as
a human, to avoid possibly contaminated foods than it is to
protect my feline friends.

Jean,
Just to make sure there is no confusion here. A pet food labelled
to contain "chicken by products" does NOT contain beef or other meat
meals, it contains CHICKEN by-products and is therefore of no concern.
The term by-products will always have a classification noun to
accompany it in North America. (This is not true is Europe where pet
foods may be labelled simply "meat".) For example chicken
by-products, lamb by-products, or pork by-products etc. It can be
generic under the legal definition "meat-by-products", which can
include any mammalian source of meat protein. If your pet food
contains the ingredient "chicken by-product" - it contains by-products
of chicken, (usually internal organs, backs and necks) not by-products
from beef or any other mammal.

Yes, I do understand that....
--
Jean B.