A Birthday Gift

Old August 2nd 16, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default A Birthday Gift

On 8/1/2016 8:59 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 8/1/2016 5:59 PM, Bastette wrote:
MaryL wrote:

On 7/30/2016 7:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/27/2016 11:34 PM, Takayuki wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 17:06:22 -0400, jmcquown

wrote:
My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday.

(July 26th)

https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg

Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed

piece of
artwork.

Wonderful! Is that pastels, or oil?

Both. It started as a coloured pastel/soft pencil sketch. He added
some oil touches to it. He told me worked on it for about three

weeks,
trying to get it just right. He's never quite satisfied with his

work.
I think it's wonderful.

Jill

Never being satisfied is a sign of a good artist.

But an unhappy person, I think!

I don't understand that comment. My SO is not an unhappy person.

Mary paints. We've seen some of her wonderful work here (Duffy sitting
on top of one!). She completely understood what I meant. John is
always touching up or making changes to his paintings. Not being
"satisfied" doesn't mean he's unhappy at all. He's critical of his own
work and tries to improve on it. Funny, I thought you would understand
that's what we meant.

Jill

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I am definitely not an unhappy
person, but I always find room for improvement in my paintings. The
same thing is true of my writing.

MaryL

Old August 2nd 16, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

On 8/1/2016 5:59 PM, Bastette wrote:

Never being satisfied is a sign of a good artist.

But an unhappy person, I think!

I don't understand that comment. My SO is not an unhappy person.

Mary paints. We've seen some of her wonderful work here (Duffy sitting
on top of one!). She completely understood what I meant. John is
always touching up or making changes to his paintings. Not being
"satisfied" doesn't mean he's unhappy at all. He's critical of his own
work and tries to improve on it. Funny, I thought you would understand
that's what we meant.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything disparaging toward your SO or to Mary.

I'm a perpetually unsatisfied person, and one of my main goals in life is
to learn how to be content with who I am, and with what I have. I'm not
always successful at that, but one way that I have succeeded is in being
kinder to myself, as well as appreciating what I do, because I *know when
I'm finished with my work*. By "work," I mean various artistic activities
such as singing, songwriting, jewelry-making, and other hobbies, as well
as my paid work. I've managed to get to the point in whatever I've created,
where I can say, "This is good enough." Does that make me a less than good
artist? I hope not. It does make me a happier person, though, and that's
something I would never want to give up.

Anyway, my comment was a philosophical one, about the way that being
continually unsatisfied with one's work (or one's life, or oneself)
deprives a person of joy. If that doesn't apply to your SO (or to Mary!)
then it's not directed at them.

--
Joyce

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman
Old August 7th 16, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)

https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg

Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
artwork.

Jill

Sometimes birds give gifts too...

http://lemons.rf.gd/cats/presentfromBIRDS.jpg

Old August 7th 16, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 19:57:51 -0500, "Matt Ferrari"
wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)

https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg

Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
artwork.

Jill

Sometimes birds give gifts too...

http://lemons.rf.gd/cats/presentfromBIRDS.jpg

That's funny, but I remember reading a few years back that bells on
collars don't actually save any bird lives. Apparently the birds don't
know that the ringing of the bell indicates danger so all the bell
does is annoy the cat and the cat's slaves.

A little gift... jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 3 February 16th 13 05:02 PM
My birthday gift to Mom jmcquown Cat anecdotes 6 January 10th 06 03:17 PM
A Gift SUQKRT Cat anecdotes 15 September 15th 04 05:59 PM
Thank you for the gift Pam & Rob LAL Cat anecdotes 1 December 9th 03 10:26 PM