It's a Buffy-versary!

Old June 9th 17, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default It's a Buffy-versary!

Two years ago today I drove to a house a few blocks away to meet what
was described as a very timid orange tabby cat named Buffy. I also met
her rambunctious housemate (I think he was a Burmese) named Frankie.
Their human had died a week before so they were both up for adoption. I
was told they really should be adopted separately. Not having any
experience with boy cats I decided I'd adopt the girl.

When I got there Buffy was hiding on a chair under the dining room
table. It wasn't a really good hiding spot because it was a glass
table. I see you!

The woman who had been caring for the cats told me Frankie bullied Buffy
terribly. This is why she wanted to re-home them separately. She had
to shut Frankie in the sunroom; he would *not* leave me alone when I was
trying to meet Buffy.

Long story short, we managed to entice Buffy into the carrier by putting
a bowl of wet food inside. I drove Buffy home and took her into my
bedroom. I showed her (through the mesh on the Sherpa carrier) where
the food and water bowls were and the litter box in the adjoining
tub/toilet area of the bathroom. Then I let her out of the carrier.
She immediately hid under the bed. That's okay, girl, you take your time.

I left her alone, occasionally walking into the room and talking softly
to her. That afternoon I looked under the bed. No cat. Where the heck
is she?! She'd sought the same haven as in her old home. She was on a
chair under the dining room table. Mine doesn't have a glass top,
though; I had to lift the table cloth to find her.

I said softly, "Hi, Buffy!" and tapped the floor with my fingers. She
jumped down and rubbed her face against my hand. I assured her there is
no mean bully cat here. This is your new home and you're the only cat.

In just a couple of days this "timid" cat turned into a very outgoing
orange lovebug. It didn't take her long to discover the cat toys on
the living room floor. Or the carpeted kitty cradle/barrel which I
couldn't bring myself to remove after Persia died in 2014. She claimed
them all and she claimed my heart.

When I followed up later with the woman who had been caring for the cats
she was astonished. "Buffy PLAYS?!" You bet! She ripped a little
rattle squirrel toy covered with rabbit fur [politically incorrect, I
know] to pieces! She also ripped the cover on a little
velveteen-covered jingle ball. That's why I wound up giving her golf
balls to play with instead. LOL

BTW, the woman told me Frankie found a good home as an "only cat" and
he's thrilled to be the top cat. I'm happy for him.

As far as I'm concerned, Buffy is the top cat here. Happy two year
adoption anniversary, my sweet little orange tabby girl!

Jill

Old June 9th 17, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/9/2017 4:35 PM, Bill Nak wrote:
HAPPY ADOPTION DAY BUFFY!!!!!!

Thanks, Bill

Jill
Old June 10th 17, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 16:55:43 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 6/9/2017 4:35 PM, Bill Nak wrote:
HAPPY ADOPTION DAY BUFFY!!!!!!

Thanks, Bill

Jill

It's so nice when they express their real personalities. It is
interesting to watch what happens when other cats are or aren't
around. After Espy died, both Scooter and Nipsy were more or less the
same, but Marlo suddenly became much more outgoing.

So happy adoption day Buffy!
Old June 10th 17, 11:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

On 6/9/2017 8:12 AM, jmcquown wrote:
Two years ago today I drove to a house a few blocks away to meet what
was described as a very timid orange tabby cat named Buffy.

As far as I'm concerned, Buffy is the top cat here. Happy two year
adoption anniversary, my sweet little orange tabby girl!

Jill

Lucky Buffy and lucky Jill! Happy annifursary, Buffy.

MaryL

Old June 11th 17, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Only Cats (WAS: It's a Buffy-versary!)

wrote:

On 6/9/2017 4:35 PM, Bill Nak wrote:
HAPPY ADOPTION DAY BUFFY!!!!!!

Thanks, Bill

Jill

It's so nice when they express their real personalities. It is
interesting to watch what happens when other cats are or aren't
around. After Espy died, both Scooter and Nipsy were more or less the
same, but Marlo suddenly became much more outgoing.

So happy adoption day Buffy!

Thank you.

The woman who was caring for the cats told me Frankie (after he went to
being an only cat) calmed down quite a bit. I remember the day I went
over to meet Buffy. He'd he'd knocked over a bunch of potted plants and
made a big mess. He was quite vocal, too. Once he no longer felt he
had to compete for attention, he turned into a cool cat.

I know some people don't believe in only cats. The common thought is
"they need a playmate". My take: just because they're cats doesn't mean
they want another cat around. Just like I really don't want to hang out
with a bunch of people.

When I'm not home there's no evidence Buffy (nor Persia before her) does
much of anything but sleep, eat, drink some water, use the litter box
and sleep some more.

I know for a fact Buffy gets upset if she sees a cat wandering around
outside. The sound she makes is very much like a fire engine siren.
Yrrrowwwwwwwwwooooo! She arches her back and puffs up like the
proverbial Halloween cat. It's a pretty scary display. You don't dare
touch or try to comfort her if she sees a cat outside. She'll rip your
arm to pieces.

Persia was the same way. Persia once crashed through a screen door
trying to chase an interloper off the apartment patio. I had to install
a baby gate between the screen and the sliding glass door so I could
open the door in nice weather.

Buffy's personality went from "timid" to "hey, this is my house" really
fast. She feels safe. She *is* safe.

I'm merely guessing but I'm sure she had to compete for food living with
Frankie. I gather there was a third cat at one time, too. So yes,
Buffy quickly adapted to being an "only cat". She's sometimes vocal,
very playful. But she also sleeps a lot. Doesn't want another cat around.

Jill