Grugingly Rejoined Facebook

Old June 29th 12, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Grugingly Rejoined Facebook

I was talking with my neighbor, telling her about an online coupon for Cat's
Pride cat litter. When I went to find the link where I'd printed the
coupon, suddenly it's only available on FB. Same thing with some other
things I've encountered lately.

I'm not giving up on this ng, absolutely not. But I've re-activated my FB
account. Apparently whether we like it or not, everything is going the way
of FB.

Now, what do I need to know? I don't want a gazillion emails telling me who
just joined or asking me to be a "friend" people or whatever else. I've
found the rpca location. Now I'm trying to find another group
(rec.food.cooking). I know they're there because a friend told me so. But
I have no idea how to add to my "groups".

I must also comment, I found a woman who was one of my best friends in high
school. She was a wild child. I remember when she got drunk and tried to
run off with a sailor she'd known for 2 days. She's been married three
times. Now she's all holier-than thou, quoting the bible next to her
bible-thumping husband. Yikes! I think I'm going to be sorry I clicked
"friend". I can't stand people preaching at me. Besides, I know her
history. I was the matron of honor at her first wedding... and her husband
decided to quit his job to become a minister. She wasn't gung-ho about it
at the time, I can tell you that. Turning over a new leaf is one thing.
Proselytizing on FB is quite a different story. I don't mind getting back
in touch, but she'd better not preach at me.

Jill

Old June 29th 12, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
Turning over a new leaf is one thing. Proselytizing on FB is
quite a different story. I don't mind getting back in touch, but she'd
better not preach at me.

Jill

I heartily agree with that! To me, religion is a very personal matter -
each of us chooses the path to God that feels right to us, and unless
someone ASKS for our input, that's how it should remain. (I doubt
whether God cares - the important thing is to be the best human being we
can be, not what form our worship takes.)
Old June 29th 12, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

If you don't want to see what that "friend" writes:
- click on her name,
- to the far right of her name you'll see "friends" "message" and an arrow
- hover your mouse over "friends"
- you'll now see "show in newsfeed" with a tick mark, unmark it
or
click on settings below that and unmark what you don't want to see from
her

Bobble
Old June 29th 12, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Bobble wrote:

If you don't want to see what that "friend" writes:
- click on her name,
- to the far right of her name you'll see "friends" "message" and an arrow
- hover your mouse over "friends"
- you'll now see "show in newsfeed" with a tick mark, unmark it
or
click on settings below that and unmark what you don't want to see from
her

What is the difference between "unfriending" someone and "unsubscribing"
from that person? Also, what is the difference among the different levels
of unsubscribing? I haven't noticed any difference, to be honest, but one
assumes that if different options are offered, there must be different
results from each, right?

I have a few FB friends who post incessantly, so my news feed is full
of stuff just from these people. Their posts can often be interesting,
but after 15 in a row from the same poster, I get tired of it. Plus,
I'm noticing that recently, most of what people post are "shares" from
other posts, rather than their own writing. The shares are often good,
but I don't want to read 30 shares per page. However, I don't want to
hurt anyone's feelings by completely unfriending them.

So I tried unsubscribing from "status posts". Still got the same amount
of posts from them. There's some other level of unsubscribe (don't
remember the details) but that didn't work either. Finally I had to
unsubscribe completely from the person. I hope she didn't find out.

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.
Old June 29th 12, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Bobble wrote:

[...]

on the ^ item on their post click on it you will see hide this ad
how much updates to see from the person by selections or completely update.
You can also go to your account settings and edit the person or globally

If you unfriends it removes them from the friends list totally. They will
see that you unfriended them not unsubscribed from them. If you
unsubscribe from them you wont see anything to the level you set it at from
none to only most important

You can also control the amount of pictures updates and invites to apps or
games the same way. DONT I MEAN DONT use a facebook app to do this you
will open up a can of identity theft worms that will rot the whole orchard
if you do

Old June 30th 12, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Matthew wrote:

on the ^ item on their post click on it you will see hide this ad
unsubscribe from this person unsubscribe from updates you can also set
how much updates to see from the person by selections or completely update.
You can also go to your account settings and edit the person or globally

Yeah, that's what I was talking about - different levels of unsubscribing
from someone. I tried all of them, but I kept seeing updates from that
person anyway!!

If you unfriends it removes them from the friends list totally. They will
see that you unfriended them not unsubscribed from them. If you
unsubscribe from them you wont see anything to the level you set it at from
none to only most important

If I unsubscribe from someone, will they know that?

You can also control the amount of pictures updates and invites to apps or
games the same way. DONT I MEAN DONT use a facebook app to do this you
will open up a can of identity theft worms that will rot the whole orchard
if you do

I don't go *near* FB apps! I also don't play games on FB anymore. But
recently I've been reading my news feed. It's fun except when the same
few people keep reposting the same stuff.

--
Joyce

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
Old June 30th 12, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:

on the ^ item on their post click on it you will see hide this ad
unsubscribe from this person unsubscribe from updates you can also
set
how much updates to see from the person by selections or completely
update.
You can also go to your account settings and edit the person or globally

Yeah, that's what I was talking about - different levels of unsubscribing
from someone. I tried all of them, but I kept seeing updates from that
person anyway!!

Sometimes you have to do it multiple times

If you unfriends it removes them from the friends list totally. They
will
see that you unfriended them not unsubscribed from them. If you
unsubscribe from them you wont see anything to the level you set it at
from
none to only most important

If I unsubscribe from someone, will they know that?

NOPE

Old June 30th 12, 12:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

I did wonder when I saw you'd recently friended a couple of people on
Facebook, I'm glad it was you and not someone learning your password.
--
Adrian
Old June 30th 12, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
I must also comment, I found a woman who was one of my best friends in
high school. She was a wild child. I remember when she got drunk and
tried to run off with a sailor she'd known for 2 days. She's been
married three times. Now she's all holier-than thou, quoting the bible
next to her bible-thumping husband. Yikes! I think I'm going to be
sorry I clicked "friend". I can't stand people preaching at me.
Besides, I know her history. I was the matron of honor at her first
wedding... and her husband decided to quit his job to become a
minister. She wasn't gung-ho about it at the time, I can tell you
that. Turning over a new leaf is one thing. Proselytizing on FB is
quite a different story. I don't mind getting back in touch, but she'd
better not preach at me.

Jill

I too, hate to be preached at. When I'm confronted with bible bashers, I
tell them that I've already sorted all that out, I'm happy with it and old
enough to know my own mind. Converts are always the worse.

Yes! They go at with a zeal which is sometimes frightening. Shortly after
my mother died I went to the mailbox and there was a letter for her.
Something snapped and I started crying. I went back in the house. Not a
minute later, someone knocked on my door. She said she'd been walking up
the street and saw I was upset. She said she wanted to come inside and pray
with me. Excuse me?! No! Pray *for* me all you want. I'm not letting you
in my house.

I'm very religious but most people don't realise it.

Nor should they. You're not proselytizing.

Judith

I wouldn't say I'm religious, I'd say I'm spiritual. I was raised never to
discuss religion or politics. My father told me it only leads to arguments
no one will ever win because everyone thinks their point of view is the
right one. I say there is no "right one". That's where I get into to
trouble with organized religion.

Jill