How to get rid of fleas

Old July 1st 12, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default How to get rid of fleas

Cheryl wrote:

On 6/29/2012 4:28 PM, jmcquown wrote:
John seems to have fleas in his house. He got a great tip about how to
get rid of fleas. Fill a deep bowl with water and put a little
dishwashing liquid in it. The fleas literally jump in and drown. John
tried it and *wow*! It works! He had to do it several times (and he set
another bowl out on the front porch porch). But how about that? No
pesticides, no bug bombs, no sprinkling of 20 mule-team Borax powder
(which is hazardous to cats). Just plain water and dishwashing liquid.
It surprised the heck out of both of us. But it works!

That same technique got rid of a fruit fly infestation I had one time,
too. Only I used diluted wine because they seemed more attracted to
that. I think with fleas you can get them quicker by putting the bowl
under a lamp because I think they're attracted to the light or the heat.

Would it work on grain moths, I wonder? I've had an infestation of those
for a few months. I got rid of all the food they were eating, I put traps
in the cabinet where they were living, I even started killing them if one
happened to fly by me. (And if I came across any mating pairs, blam! I
don't like killing things, but I couldn't allow mating. I did learn, though,
that mating moths are a very easy target.) There aren't as many as there
were before, but they're still around.

--
Joyce

Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
-- Joseph Wood Krutch
Old July 1st 12, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/1/2012 12:54 AM, Bastette wrote:

Would it work on grain moths, I wonder? I've had an infestation of those
for a few months. I got rid of all the food they were eating, I put traps
in the cabinet where they were living, I even started killing them if one
happened to fly by me. (And if I came across any mating pairs, blam! I
don't like killing things, but I couldn't allow mating. I did learn, though,
that mating moths are a very easy target.) There aren't as many as there
were before, but they're still around.

OOoo, I had an infestation of those one time, too. I can't remember how
I got rid of them. I kept finding the mealy worms on the walls and I
could kill them then. My cats loved hunting the flying moths when they
saw them. I think I got them from a bag of cheap cat food I was feeding
the strays years ago. It always icks me out when I shop at PetSmart and
see moths flying around because I know something they are selling is
infested. I only buy cat litter and canned food from there, but for a
while I was buying small animal bedding and mouse food from them when I
was keeping fancy mice.

Old July 1st 12, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Cheryl wrote:

[...]

I think it would! The lamp/light is what I accidentally left out of the
equation about the fleas. Moths are attracted to light. Apparently so are
fleas. So yes, they'll be attracted to the bowl of water with the viscosity
if there is a lamp. I had a moth infestation a few years ago in my pantry.
At that time I didn't know about this little trick. I had to get rid of all
rice, grains, dried beans, etc. I started storing all that stuff in the
freezer.

Jill

Old July 1st 12, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Christina Websell wrote:

For some reason neither of my cats or any of my dogs ever had fleas. Don't
ask me why because I don't know. I groomed them most days so maybe that did
it.

Possibly also helped by the fact that fleas love houses with central
heating, which is not present in your house, so any fleas do not survive
the colder months .

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old July 1st 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

For some reason neither of my cats or any of my dogs ever had fleas.
Don't
ask me why because I don't know. I groomed them most days so maybe that
did
it.

Possibly also helped by the fact that fleas love houses with central
heating, which is not present in your house, so any fleas do not survive
the colder months .

g Maybe that's it! I'm surprised I survived last winter myself.
However, they never seem to be present in what passes for the warmer months
either. Perhaps my Dyson has an effect, or just lucky.
My brother has a problem with fleas on Tigger and his Cavalier, Maisie, then
gets them or vice versa. He has central heating so your theory holds up.

Tweed

Old July 1st 12, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 02:10:48 -0400, Cheryl
wrote:

[...]

Cheryl, most likely the infestation is in the bird seed. I had an
infestation years ago, and found out that they LOVE bird seed, and
most infestations comes from that. I started storing my seed outside,
and haven't had a problem since.

Patti
Old July 2nd 12, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

Would it work on grain moths, I wonder?

I think it would! The lamp/light is what I accidentally left out of the
equation about the fleas. Moths are attracted to light. Apparently so are
fleas. So yes, they'll be attracted to the bowl of water with the viscosity
if there is a lamp. I had a moth infestation a few years ago in my pantry.
At that time I didn't know about this little trick. I had to get rid of all
rice, grains, dried beans, etc. I started storing all that stuff in the
freezer.

Yes, ditto!

--
Joyce

Anyone who has accustomed himself to regard the life of any living
creature as worthless is in danger of arriving also at the idea of
worthless human lives. -- Albert Schweitzer

fleas Ralph Cat health & behaviour 4 July 5th 09 11:41 PM
Fleas, fleas, and more fleas. James Cat health & behaviour 3 July 24th 08 02:35 PM
fed up with fleas. Stormlady Cat health & behaviour 2 February 2nd 08 11:08 AM
Fleas? Richard Evans Cat health & behaviour 3 October 1st 07 06:01 PM
fleas lucy707 via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 3 June 28th 06 04:18 PM