cat trivia

Old June 7th 04, 11:50 AM
Frank

Default cat trivia

These are interesting but are all these true?

a.. 95% of cat owners admit they talk to their cats.
a.. A cat can be rightpawed or leftpawed
a.. A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot
seem to find tidbits on the floor.
a.. A cat has 230 bones in its body. A human only has 206 bones.
a.. A cat will almost never meow at another cat. Cats use this sound for
humans.
a.. A cat will never break a sweat because it has no sweat glands.
a.. A cat will spend nearly 30% of its life grooming itself.
a.. A cat's brain is more similar to a human's brain than that of a dog.
a.. A cat's ear pivots 180 degrees.
a.. A cat's hearing rates as one of the top in the animal kingdom. Cats can
hear sounds as high-pitched as 65 kHz; a human's hearing stops at just 20
kHz.
a.. A cat's heart beats at 110 to 140 beats per minute, twice as fast as a
human heart
a.. A cat's normal body temperature is 101.5 degrees F (38.6 C).
a.. A cat's sense of taste is keener than a dog's sense of taste.
a.. A large majority of white cats with blue eyes are deaf. White cats with
only one blue eye are deaf only in the ear closest to the blue eye.

a.. Americans spend more on cat food than on baby food.
a.. Americans spend more than 5.4 billion dollars on their pets each year.
a.. Cats average 16 hours of sleep a day, more than any other mammal.
a.. Cats can donate blood to other cats.
a.. Cats can get "age spots". These are black spots on the skin that are
often seen around the lips, eyes, and nose; and usually start when the cat
is three to five years of age.
a.. Cats have a third eyelid, called a haw, that is rarely visible. If it
can be seen, it could be an indication of ill health.
a.. Cats have AB blood groups just like people. Cats have true fur, meaning
that they have both an undercoat and an outer coat.
a.. Cats love to hear the sound of their own name and your voice, so talk to
them often.
a.. Cats must have fat in their diet, because they can't produce it on their
own. Never feed your cat dog food, because cats need five times more protein
than dogs do.
a.. Cats only need a sixth the amount of light that humans do to see.
However, their daytime vision is only fair compared to that of humans.
a.. Cats purr at about 26 cycles per second, the same frequency as an idling
diesel engine.
a.. Cats scratch to shed the sheaths of their old claws.
a.. Cats step with both left legs, then both right legs when they walk or
run. The only other animals to do this are the giraffe and the camel.
a.. Cats use more than 500 muscles to leap, jump, and sprint. Cats with
white fur and skin on their ears are very prone to sunburn.
a.. Cats, not dogs, are the most common pets in America. There are
approximately 66 million cats to 58 million dogs, with Parakeets a distant
third at 14 million.
a.. If your cat is in the habit of rolling over and exposing his stomach,
you can be sure he feels perfectly safe with you. It's also a way of
demonstrating his pleasure in your company.

Old June 7th 04, 02:23 PM
DevilsPGD

In message "Frank"
did ramble:

a.. 95% of cat owners admit they talk to their cats.

Why not? They mouth off at me all the time, why should they have all
the fun?

a.. A cat's heart beats at 110 to 140 beats per minute, twice as fast as a
human heart

That depends on how out of shape the human is...

a.. Americans spend more on cat food than on baby food.

Per cat? Per capita? Over a respective lifetime?

a.. Cats average 16 hours of sleep a day, more than any other mammal.

You haven't met me.

a.. Cats love to hear the sound of their own name and your voice, so talk to
them often.

Sure they do. That's why when I call any of my cats, they glance over
with a "what now" and go on with their life.

a.. Cats, not dogs, are the most common pets in America. There are
approximately 66 million cats to 58 million dogs, with Parakeets a distant
third at 14 million.

I'm not so sure, does that "dogs" figure include husbands?

a.. If your cat is in the habit of rolling over and exposing his stomach,
you can be sure he feels perfectly safe with you. It's also a way of
demonstrating his pleasure in your company.

He loves me, he really loves me!

--
The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have their own.

Old June 7th 04, 03:40 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
These are interesting but are all these true?

a.. 95% of cat owners admit they talk to their cats.

Dunno about that one. Would depend on the region and people polled, I
assume.

a.. A cat can be rightpawed or leftpawed

True.

a.. A cat cannot see directly under its nose.

True.

a.. A cat has 230 bones in its body. A human only has 206 bones.

True AFAIK.

a.. A cat will almost never meow at another cat. Cats use this sound for
humans.

True AFAIK.
I had to "teach" my 2 adoptees to meow.

a.. A cat will never break a sweat because it has no sweat glands.

True. Cats sweat through glands in their tongues and paw pads.

a.. A cat will spend nearly 30% of its life grooming itself.

I'd say it depends on the cat, but on average, probably true.

a.. A cat's brain is more similar to a human's brain than that of a dog.

Define "similar".

a.. A cat's ear pivots 180 degrees.

True.

a.. A cat's hearing rates as one of the top in the animal kingdom. Cats can
hear sounds as high-pitched as 65 kHz; a human's hearing stops at just 20
kHz.

True. But the numbers I've seen are 64 and 23, respectively.

a.. A cat's heart beats at 110 to 140 beats per minute, twice as fast as a
human heart

True. Kittens up to 200 or slightly above.

a.. A cat's normal body temperature is 101.5 degrees F (38.6 C).

Range 101 to 103.

a.. A cat's sense of taste is keener than a dog's sense of taste.

Dunno. How would they prove this?

a.. A large majority of white cats with blue eyes are deaf. White cats with
only one blue eye are deaf only in the ear closest to the blue eye.

Highly, highly likely, but not 100%. Like 98%, last I read.

a.. Americans spend more on cat food than on baby food.

True for pet food in general last I read.

a.. Americans spend more than 5.4 billion dollars on their pets each year.

True last I read.

a.. Cats average 16 hours of sleep a day, more than any other mammal.

Cats do sleep a lot, but I've not seen numbers for other animals.

a.. Cats can donate blood to other cats.

True and false. They can - but they have types, just like people.
http://www.catclinic.co.uk/health/bloodtransfusion.htm
Giving the wrong type can be fatal.

a.. Cats can get "age spots". These are black spots on the skin that are
often seen around the lips, eyes, and nose; and usually start when the cat
is three to five years of age.

True and false. Cats can develop Feline lentigo, most often seen in
orange tabbies. It is merely pigmentation, but has little to do with
age. The spots can occur as early as 1 year.

a.. Cats have a third eyelid, called a haw, that is rarely visible. If it
can be seen, it could be an indication of ill health.

True, but sometimes very tired kitties will show it as well.

a.. Cats have AB blood groups just like people.

True, which is why the blood giving thing is only half-true.

Cats have true fur, meaning
that they have both an undercoat and an outer coat.

True.

a.. Cats love to hear the sound of their own name and your voice, so talk to
them often.

Depends on the cat. Most cats do.

a.. Cats must have fat in their diet, because they can't produce it on their
own.

Cats must have arachidonic acid, a fatty acid found only in animal
tissue in their diet. Therefore, they need some animal fat in their
diet.
They can produce their own fat just fine.

Never feed your cat dog food, because cats need five times more protein
than dogs do.

Cats do need more protein, but more importantly, they need taurine,
which is not found in significant quantities in dog food.

a.. Cats only need a sixth the amount of light that humans do to see.
However, their daytime vision is only fair compared to that of humans.

True.

a.. Cats purr at about 26 cycles per second, the same frequency as an idling
diesel engine.

True, IIRC.

a.. Cats scratch to shed the sheaths of their old claws.

True. They also do so to stretch and exercise.

a.. Cats step with both left legs, then both right legs when they walk or
run. The only other animals to do this are the giraffe and the camel.

True about the cat. Dunno about the others.

a.. Cats use more than 500 muscles to leap, jump, and sprint.

Cats only have 500 total, last I checked.

Cats with
white fur and skin on their ears are very prone to sunburn.

True.

a.. Cats, not dogs, are the most common pets in America. There are
approximately 66 million cats to 58 million dogs, with Parakeets a distant
third at 14 million.

True last I checked.

a.. If your cat is in the habit of rolling over and exposing his stomach,
you can be sure he feels perfectly safe with you. It's also a way of
demonstrating his pleasure in your company.

Yup.

~kaeli~
Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old June 7th 04, 03:40 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old June 7th 04, 05:43 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:23:16 GMT, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message "Frank"
did ramble:

[...]

Probably so -- just do not try to pet his belly when he is in this
position.
Old June 7th 04, 05:43 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:23:16 GMT, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message "Frank"
did ramble: