Cat meowing all the time

Old April 24th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mrscomp4707

Default Cat meowing all the time

I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying him
with water and yelling at him, taking him off the window sill, putting him in
a different room. Nothing is working. I read somewhere that we should ignore
it and reward him when he is being quiet. Is there anything else? Is there
some way to keep him entertained? We have another cat and he is just fine.
Any suggestions?

Old April 24th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mrscomp4707

mrscomp4707 wrote:
I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying him
with water and yelling at him, taking him off the window sill, putting him in
a different room. Nothing is working. I read somewhere that we should ignore
it and reward him when he is being quiet. Is there anything else? Is there
some way to keep him entertained? We have another cat and he is just fine.
Any suggestions? He is neutered and goes outside daily. Im a stay at home mom and play with him and spend time with them as much as I can. Please help

Old April 24th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

On Apr 23, 7:56 pm, "mrscomp4707" u43134@uwe wrote:
mrscomp4707 wrote:

If you are sure there is nothing medically wrong with the cat, then I
would guess boredom may play a role. Do you play with the cat?
Interactive toys, such as a laser kitty light works well, as do the
toys on a string that you can tempt them with.

I am guessing the kitty just wants more loving ;-)
Old April 24th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"mrscomp4707" wrote

I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying him
with water and yelling at him, taking him off the window sill, putting him
in
a different room. Nothing is working. I read somewhere that we should
ignore
it and reward him when he is being quiet. Is there anything else? Is there
some way to keep him entertained? We have another cat and he is just fine.
Any suggestions?

Lets assume you have a healthy cat here and no medical problems.

I'll start with this excerpt: 'It is important to know that some cat breeds
are just naturally more vocal than others. These breeds include the
Balinese, Burmese, Cornish rex, Japanese Bobtail, Korat, Siamese, and
Tonkinese.'

Is your cat perhaps partly at least one of these?

Now for dealing with it: 'Excessive meowing can be most annoying when we
are trying to sleep. Some cats have the habit of meowing and/or scratching
in front of the bedroom door until we let them in. The first rule of thumb
is do not respond directly to the cat's meowing. The cat is doing this to
get your attention. Getting up to see what the cat wants, shushing or
yelling at the cat is the worst thing to do because you are reinforcing the
undesirable behaviour by giving the cat attention. Your attention is its
reward. The easiest solution is to get a pair of earplugs. If you do not
respond to the cat's meowing it will probably stop within a few days.
If that does not work, you can try some of the following tips:
· Keep your cat extra busy during your waking hours and especially in the
evening with toys, extra play etc. This will help it sleep when you sleep.

(personal comment, this next one is not going to work for you as it's not a
night meower issue)· Squirting - Have a spray bottle ready and when your cat
wakes you with its meowing wait behind your closed door. At the very next
meow, spray the cat's paws from under the door. The cat will learn to
associate this behaviour with a squirting.

Old April 24th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
deja.blues[_4_]

"mrscomp4707" u43134@uwe wrote in message news:8321773d6d6f7@uwe...
I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly

Would you want someone telling you to shut up if you had something to say?
Errr ok. You walk him regularly? How?

and we have tried spraying him
with water and yelling at him, taking him off the window sill, putting him
in
a different room.

If you did that to me I'd do more than just meow, I'd slash your throat as
you slept.

Nothing is working. I read somewhere that we should ignore
it and reward him when he is being quiet. Is there anything else? Is there
some way to keep him entertained? We have another cat and he is just fine.
Any suggestions?

He needs something that you can't or won't give him. If you care about him,
make the effort to find out whats bothering him instead of punishing him for
communicating in the only voice he has.

Old April 24th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Apr 23, 7:53 pm, "mrscomp4707" u43134@uwe wrote:
I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying him
with water and yelling at him, taking him off the window sill, putting him in
a different room. Nothing is working. I read somewhere that we should ignore
it and reward him when he is being quiet. Is there anything else? Is there
some way to keep him entertained? We have another cat and he is just fine.
Any suggestions?

I am uncertain about what you mean that you "walk him reguarly."
Spraying him and yelling at him is sure to make him nervous. The best
thing to do would be to sing to him. Who are your favorite singers?
Do you like opera or Bob Dylan or 10 inch Nails or Rock of Ages? It
really doesnt matter. Instead of spraying the cat, just sing to him
when he meows. He needs your love.
Old April 24th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Apr 23, 6:53*pm, "mrscomp4707" u43134@uwe wrote:
I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying him
with water and yelling at him, taking him off the window sill, putting him in
a different room. Nothing is working. I read somewhere that we should ignore
it and reward him when he is being quiet. Is there anything else? Is there
some way to keep him entertained? We have another cat and he is just fine.
Any suggestions?

1. Is he neutered? If not, his raging hormones are probably causing
the majority of his meowing.
2. Please DON'T spray him with water. He is trying to communicate with
you and this will only frighten him or cause other bad habits to get
your attention.
3. How often do you play with him? A male cat at that age has a lot of
energy and needs play sessions with you at least twice per day. Use an
interactive wand, cat dancer, or whatever other toys he likes.
4. Do you have a cat tree for him to exercise on? How about a bird
feeder near the window he can watch?
5. Rotate his toys every few days so there's always something "new."
6. Give him extra love and attention. He might just need more
attention than your other cat.
Old April 24th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mrscomp4707 via CatKB.com

cshenk wrote:
I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying him

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
[...]

I have tried spraying him with water, it doesnt work. He is a manx. He is
more vocal than the other cat we have but this is excessive, we tried the
earplugs last night and it helped us sleep but even right now he is meowing
and meowing. We can ignore it for the most part, I am worried because we live
in an apartment complex and i know that they can hear him. We have been just
ignoring him. Any other advice?

Old April 24th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mrscomp4707 via CatKB.com

deja.blues wrote:
[...]

OK we walk him on a leash and harness. We walk him daily for like an hour.
When I say he meows all the time seriously it is for hours at a time. We have
been ignoring it. We have taken him to the Vets and they say he is perfectly
healthy. I am a stay at home mom and during the day I play with and walk him
and we play with him at night, he plays with the other cat we have. We live
in an apartment, I think he just wants attention but we are getting noise
complaints so whats your advice now!

Old April 24th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mrscomp4707 via CatKB.com

honeybunch wrote:
I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying him

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
some way to keep him entertained? We have another cat and he is just fine.
Any suggestions?

I am uncertain about what you mean that you "walk him reguarly."
Spraying him and yelling at him is sure to make him nervous. The best
thing to do would be to sing to him. Who are your favorite singers?
Do you like opera or Bob Dylan or 10 inch Nails or Rock of Ages? It
really doesnt matter. Instead of spraying the cat, just sing to him
when he meows. He needs your love.

Im a stay at home mom, I play with him during the day and at night before bed.
We give tons of attention. ANd tons of love. We walk him on a leash and
harness. He plays with the other. The Vets says that there is nothing wrong
with him.

MEOWING! Kelly Cat health & behaviour 10 February 22nd 05 07:05 PM
meowing too much? Justin L Cat health & behaviour 7 February 9th 05 09:38 AM
Cat Meowing jack Cat health & behaviour 6 September 2nd 03 11:06 AM
Cat Meowing jack Cats - misc 4 August 27th 03 07:33 PM
Cat Meowing Debbie Bouthiette Cat health & behaviour 12 July 31st 03 12:09 AM