More confusion for Francis

Old July 26th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

Default More confusion for Francis

Francis had another 'WTF?' moment with The Laydeez this morning.

The Laydeez laid their eggs early (147 & counting since April 19, not bad
for a couple of 'spent' hens supposedly 'egged out') so I let them out into
the garden for a good old scratch about. Francis joined in by sitting his
usual metre or so from the girls and watched them in his usual fascinated
way. My lovely neighbour Bill turned up with a load of veggies for me from
his veg plot and The Laydeez insisted I return the favour by giving Bill two
of their finest productions. As Bill & I were nattering in the garden, a
loud clucking broke out. Clucking of a nature that says "I've got a
particularly tasty titbit" Bill & I stopped nattering & looked over to The
Laydeez to see Cathode holding a shrew in her beak, and battering it to
death on the ground. Anode spotted the delicacy and set off in hot pursuit.
So there was Cathode, shrew dangling from her beak, running round the
garden, trying to keep her prize and looking for a place to eat it, with
Anode hot on her heels determined to get it for herself. Francis sat up,
eyes widened to the size of saucers and had his "WTF? They think they're
cats?" Poor Francis. He remains utterly confused by and fascinated with his
hens.

I managed to catch Cathode, shrew still in her beak, and Bill managed to
remove the shrew, with comment of "Strong beak she's got there" The shrew
was terminal, being outwardly unmarked but *flattened* where it had been
firmly grasped by a beak.

Poor Francis was immediately confused again, as The Laydeez spotted
butterflies flitting about the garden. Cue one of the most hilarious things
I've seen: hens chasing butterflies, beaks snapping, as the butterflies flit
inches from said beak. At this sight, Francis could take no more and retired
indoors to collapse in a heap on the living room floor. It's difficult time
for the brain of a feline who is not long got over the sight of what comes
out of a hen's bottom being deposited right in front of him to find that the
hens think they are cats by catching rodents.

Old July 26th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wafflycat wrote:
[...]

LOL. I don't want to be mean but it's not difficult to confuse Francis. ;-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 26th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"wafflycat" wrote in message
Francis had another 'WTF?' moment with The Laydeez this morning.

As Bill & I were nattering in the garden, a loud clucking broke out.
Clucking of a nature that says "I've got a particularly tasty titbit" Bill
& I stopped nattering & looked over to The Laydeez to see Cathode holding
a shrew in her beak, and battering it to death on the ground. Anode
spotted the delicacy and set off in hot pursuit. So there was Cathode,
shrew dangling from her beak, running round the garden, trying to keep her
prize and looking for a place to eat it, with Anode hot on her heels
determined to get it for herself. Francis sat up, eyes widened to the size
of saucers and had his "WTF? They think they're cats?" Poor Francis. He
remains utterly confused by and fascinated with his hens.

I found this description in Wikipedia: "In Britain, shrews can be found at
densities up to one per 200 square metres in the woodlands. These population
numbers are controlled by owls, weasels, stoats, and foxes, which prey on
the common shrew. A liquid produced by glands on the skin make shrews rather
unpleasant tasting to domestic cats."

It now appears that chickens need to be added to the list of predators that
prey on the shrew!

MaryL

Old July 26th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
LOL. I don't want to be mean but it's not difficult to confuse Francis.
;-)

Francis says to let you know that he thinks you're being awful to him. He
has gone off in the huff muttering something about 'Mothership'
'communicate' and 'hairballs' I'd be worried, Adrian, very worried ;-)

Old July 26th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Although I love Waffles dearly, Marble and Francis
sure are worming their little selves into my heart with
their fascination with the Laydeez!

Thanks for the laugh.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old July 26th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

. ..

"wafflycat" wrote in message
[...]

It also apparently makes them hurl.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 26th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

. ..

"wafflycat" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it does. Boyfie tried one twice and upchucked both times. It was when
he was learning what the local rodent population had to offer and shrews
were a big mistake.
My chickens will eat them though, given the chance, and mowsies too.

Tweed

Old July 26th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Will in New Haven wrote:

Oh, that's great. I had never heard of a chicken preying on a
vertebrate and a shrew at that.

Neither did I - I didn't even know that chickens were predators, other
than for bugs, worms, etc. Most birds eat bugs and worms, don't they?
And yet they're not considered birds of prey unless they eat... well,
vertebrates, as Will said.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 26th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wafflycat wrote:

Francis had another 'WTF?' moment with The Laydeez this morning.

Thank you, Helen, for another entertaining Francis and the Laydeez
tale. (Hmm, that could be the title of the book you publish which
contains all of these stories. Or failing that, it could be the
name of a 60s retro cover band. )

Poor Francis - his world has been turned upside-down. On the other
hand, it sounds like he hasn't had this much excitement in quite a
while, so maybe this is good for him!

--
Joyce ^..^