Questionz

Old November 3rd 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

Default Questionz

anna purrhapz afur itz dun den somecat whut knowz bowt pooterz can putit all
onna web thingy anna den newcatz kuld go anna read itsef, Tiger
Ellie wrote in message
I fink yoo hab hit on an eggsellant idea, Tiger. It wuld keep thuh
heritage uf rpcc alife an eggsplain thuh tradishons tu alla thuh new

kitties
hoo come heer. It wuld be kwite a job, but Ize shur sumwon heer iz up tu
thuh task.
Princess Pasha

"Stormmee" wrote in message
you know that may be part of the problem, maybe we need a journalist

kitty
to go anna interveiw sum of da owldetimerz so newer houses can getta

know
demselvez... Tiger
Ellie wrote in message
Absolutely not, which is why I specifically said I was not referring to
anyone who asked questions about it. It just so happened that Mietze
resigned her position in a thread you started, and I replied to that.

think the Jellicle Ball is a lovely tradition that every year brings

out
many "old-timers" that are not usually able to post and I agree that it
would be sad to see it go. I'm concerned that some here felt that we

were
inundating the group with stuff that didn't pertain to them, but

without
those who have gone before, this group would not exist.

Some of the "old-timers" were here when the group actually started, and
began the tradition of the Jellicle Ball, and some of the other

meowchat
things that are still going on today. I came along a little later. We

all
share a love of this group whether we're able to access regularly or

only
once a year. Mietze's work for the group through these many years has

been
above and beyond the call of "dooty" and I just hope everyone

appreciates
what a difficult job it has been.
Purrs, Ellie

An I fink Mietze and Auntie Melissa deserf uh big round uf fangful

apaws!
Princess Pasha, standing and applauding
Phoebe & Emma also stand and applaud

"Granby" wrote in message
I hope that by asking questions it is understood I did not mean to

deminish
any worth of anyone to this site. It is a wonderful place to be. I
have

vision problem and don't have a screen reader at this time so it is

hard
read all the history. To not have a Jellica Ball would be a great

loss.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello to all. My cats Oprah Anne and Princess Pasha played here for
years (starting in 1996) when I was able to get rpcc through
newsgroups via my dialup account. When that dried up, and I had to
rely on the more difficult to follow internet groups on a dialup
account, I had to give it up for a variety of reasons, the biggest

of
which was lack of time, although I did check in occasionally to see
what was going on. This group was always about fun and love for me,
and I can only hope it will remain so for all of you..

I just want to take a moment to acknowledge the wonderful work that
Mietze (by way of Melissa) has done for all of us over these last
years. She alone has remembered the names of those cats, dogs,
ferrets, other furs (even a snake or two), and hoomins who have

passed
to the rainbow bridge during the past years. She puts their names

in
her Walk of Remembrance and has worked tirelessly on the behalf of

all
of us to keep the names of those we've loved alive forever. This
year, my beloved Lissa's name was called after she died shortly

after
last year's Jellicle Ball. There has been no one more dedicated to
this task than Mietze/Melissa has been, and I wish to thank her for
that.

That said (and I wish to make clear this is not aimed at those who
simply asked questions), I would like to add that those few of you

who
have *complained* should be ashamed. If rpcc no longer wishes to

have
a Jellicle Ball, that's fine, but it is a sad day when some in a

group
of people who have supposedly been brought together by love of their
furs should attack someone who has done nothing but try to give some
consolation and solace to those who have lost their loved ones. I
have to wonder if those who have been so quick to criticize will

step
up to the plate and remember those who go to the bridge this coming
year.
Ellie Terrell, former rpcc-er and mom to kitties Princess Pasha,
Phoebe & Emma

Old November 3rd 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

thank yousef fur sharin dat how dija kulet da wurdz? dija start gettin
demselves furm rpc, which wuz befur we hadda pooter anna net, Tiger
squiffer wrote in message
Ahem, I am Colette, a veddy smart kat, and my own dear sekretary started

the
glossary. It was long ago, and before this group existed. As I am of both

literary and scientific mind, I veddy much appreciate all the curious

minds
and their questions. Ahem. That is all fellow furrrrsons.
Colette

"Stormmee" wrote in message
:I don't think anyone has ever complained about the work Melissa has done,
if
: anyone needs to se her dedication they need only go and look at the
walk...
: bear in mind that honest questions and a desire to understand the

dynamics
: of a group can often be interpreted incorrectly or not as they are
: intended... it seems to me that all of the newer members are doing
something
: I did not have the courage to do when I first started reading here, I
think
: around 99 but am not sure... I always wondered how the ball started, how
the
: calling got started, Melissa is the only one I ever saw do it and I
wondered
: how that came to be, if there had been someone before, why/how did it
: change... just like I wondered when reading the glossary for the first
time
: who could be that creative and wonderful to catalog all of that... the
point
: is, I think the group is filled with love and I think that some of us

are
: sensitive to keeping traditions alive, and others of us want to

understand
: the traditions keep them and add to the life here at the community, soft
fur
: her cats
:

Old November 3rd 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

wellz da gramby luked ad diz and like soft waz veri imprezed. It iz
wonnerful. Willow watching what gramby is doing.

Old November 3rd 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
squiffer

Ahem, I am Colette, a veddy smart kat, and my own dear sekretary started the
glossary. It was long ago, and before this group existed. As I am of both a

Old November 3rd 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory[_2_]

In article .com,
says...
Lee, I really agree with that -- I have been so glad for all the
questions that people ask. There is a lot about the Jellicle Ball that
I don't know, and the more I read about it, the more I can learn. I
appreciate every question anyone has asked.

Julie

ITA. I've been around since even before the split, and while some
people may think that that means I know more than most, I simply don't.
IOW, I don't feel that there is such a thing as a "stupid question", and
anyone who is stupid enough to come right out and say "That's a stupid
question!" needs to get a new hobby... or life.

--- Unca Cory

Old November 3rd 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

what can you tell us about the ball that might help with the history, the
story GM used to tell and that LK told this year seems to be the only real
historical story that I can recall, Soft
g...

Old November 3rd 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory[_2_]

In article ,
says...
I have been so impressed by the quality of writing that happens in our
events, especially the Jellical Ball and wedwinks...the narratives have been
so meaningful, and I have been remiss in not saying so quite often. At this
Jellical Ball, I even cut-and-pasted much of it, to read from time to time.

I would be very happy and contented to see the traditions of rpcc continue
without any change at all,

This is NOT meant to come across as a flame or a criticism, so if it
does, I truly, truly apologize.

There isn't any way possible for RPCC to continue its traditions without
any change at all. Kitties come and go now, for whatever reason, on an
almost routine basis. There are many, many, many reasons for that.

Back when RPC was the only cat group, there were a LOT of meowchatters
who were VERY, VERY close with one another. A LOT of activities that
went on in RPC actually no longer happen in RPCC today (Major and
Mahler's plane activities being one such thing that I can actively
recall off the top of my head).

The split of RPC into its subgroups indelibly changed a lot of things...
many, many more things than I think the newer kitties and their hoomans
can understand, simply because they're newer and they weren't here
before the split. As I recall, there were MASSIVE flame wars around the
time of the discussion of the split, and feelings were hurt in the
process. There are meowchatters who were quite active in the original
RPC whom I've NEVER, EVER seen again since the split, and the reasons
for that may have a lot to do with how the split happened and the flame
wars that surrounded it.

RPCC is NOT the same group that it was back in the day when it was RPC,
and we had to preface our headers with "MEOW", so that those that wanted
to filter out our meowchat could do so. Some people will say that in
some ways, RPCC is a better group. Some will say that, in some ways,
it's not as fun for some people (having said this, there ARE valid
reasons that some RPC folks stopped posting, other than it just wasn't
fun anymore [lost internet access at work... don't have the time
anymore... there are even some people who still cannot access RPCC
through their ISP or newsgroup provider, even though it's been around
for a long time now. Some news feeds just don't carry it.]). I
personally prefer to just think that RPCC is different these days... not
in terms of "better" or "worse".

You also have to remember, too, that people change as they grow older.
What was once upon a time fun just isn't anymore... not because it's
turned "bad", so to speak, but because the people have simply outgrown
that kind of fun (which is what I think has happened to me, to some
degree, as I've gotten older). Another reason things have changed is
because kitties' likes and dislikes change over time, as well, not to
mention that there ARE a LOT of newer kitties in the newsgroup. That,
right there, will "shift" the interests of the group, and that's not a
bad thing at all, I feel. Every kitty and hooman that *posts* here
should feel welcome and have fun being here, and if that isn't the case
for you anymore, then it's time to bow out gracefully, rather than
ruining a fun time for everyone else.

I don't mean or want to speak for anykitty or hooman, but the new
kitties who've joined RPCC in recent years since the split ARE welcome
here, IMNSHO. We ARE glad to have you here, and we DO want the new
kitties to feel welcome and join in or start activities that are fun,
not only for the rest of the group, but for the individual kitties, I
believe.

though I recognize that the job is difficult, it
is extremely worthwhile, both in times of grief and times of joy.

A huge Bravo and Thank You to those who work especially hard to make the
above possible.

Sylvia, Meowmee and sekkiterry tu Pitô.ônya.

--- Unca Cory
Old November 3rd 07, 07:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

I find that interesting and I just guess you had to be there, why were there
flame wars? was it an issue as to splitting in the first place or was it an
issue as to how to split? soft

Old November 3rd 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory[_2_]

In article ,
says...
I find that interesting and I just guess you had to be there, why were there
flame wars? was it an issue as to splitting in the first place or was it an
issue as to how to split? soft

I can't remember why, but I had stopped posting to the original RPC
around the time of the split, so I wasn't around when the split actually
happened. I left RPC for reasons I can't recall (I may have had an
illness, actually, due to the nature of my disability. I was posting to
RPC around the time I was in school, too, so school may have had
something to do with why I wasn't posting at around the time the split
happened. I KNOW for a fact that my leaving didn't have ANYTHING to do
with being angry or hurt about how the group was treating Onyx or I or
how the group was functioning before the split), and when I came back to
post again, RPC had split into the groups that are here today. In fact,
I remember at the time thinking to myself, "why didn't they just call
'our' newsgroup 'rec.pets.cats.meowchat' (RPCM). It's simple enough,
and it's accurate."

I'm SO glad that they didn't call this newsgroup that, in retrospect.
The meowchatters back in the day got a LOT of crap. They got a lot of
crap from regular RPC'ers not wild about meowchat (who actively dissed
us and called meowchat baby talk), but also from trolls, as well. If
the group HAD been named RPCM, we'd be an easier mark, I believe, for
trolls to seek us out and plague us left and right.

What I recall (and what I recall may not be 100% accurate or complete)
is that a big reason why people who wanted the split was because they
were tired/sick of the meowchat. They wanted it gone from their
newsgroup. The meowchatters wanted to continue to let their kitties
have their own voices. AIUI, the arguing and the flamewars all
escalated from there, and the split became an issue that was about more
than just meowchat, for reasons I can't recall. I think some of it was
a combination of both splitting the groups in the first place, and also
how to split the groups. If you'll notice, there's a group in the RPC
hierarchy called rec.pets.cats.health+behav. Like I said earlier, I
wasn't around when the split actually happened, but I wouldn't be
surprised at all to learn that there were people who wanted there to be
two separate groups: rec.pets.cats.health, and rec.pets.cats.behavior...
so yeah, I would imagine that there was a fair amount of talk about how
to split the groups. Since this is Usenet, there had to be a consensus.

Usenet's funny... there are these things called RFDs, or request for
discussion. I see now that they happen in the news.* hierarchy. I
think they used to take place in the alt.config newsgroup many years
ago. There are also, IIRC, RFVs, or request for votes. RFDs and RFVs
both center entirely around creating new newsgroups. I can't remember
if RFDs just happen and people discuss creating a new newsgroup simply
because there was a call for an RFD, or if an RFD has to be voted upon
in order for there to actually even BE a discussion about creating a new
newsgroup. Anyway, when an RFD happens, people discuss creating the new
newsgroup, whatever its name may be (e.g. alt.fan.billy-bob).

If there seems to be a consensus that the new newsgroup should be
created, then I *believe* an RFV is called for. There's a magic number
of votes or a percentage that has to approve the creation of a new
newsgroup in order for it to even be created. I believe the rationale
for that is so that Usenet is not just flooded with newsgroups. Having
said that, yes, if you look at your list of newsgroups, there ARE
newsgroups that exist that are pretty stupid and never, ever seem to get
traffic. However, that is actually one of the reasons that there are
RFDs and RFVs and that the rules for creating a new newsgroup are as
stringent as they are. You just have to trust me when I say that the
glut of newsgroups that don't get any traffic would be about 20 times
higher than it is today if the process that IS in place today didn't
exist at all.

OK... I think that that just about covers it. I hope I've answered all
of your questions this time around. If not, just post other questions
you may have, and I or someone here who's been here long enough to know
will answer them as soon as I/we can. :-)

--- Unca Cory ;-)
Old November 3rd 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory[_2_]

In article ,
says...
I find that interesting and I just guess you had to be there, why were there
flame wars? was it an issue as to splitting in the first place or was it an
issue as to how to split? soft

I can't remember why, but I had stopped posting to the original RPC
around the time of the split, so I wasn't around when the split actually
happened. I left RPC for reasons I can't recall (I may have had an
illness, actually, due to the nature of my disability. I was posting to
RPC around the time I was in school, too, so school may have had
something to do with why I wasn't posting at around the time the split
happened. The more I think of it, the time I stopped posting was around
the time I moved from Milwaukee back to my hometown area, so that may
have had a lot to do with why I stopped posting to RPC for a while, as
well. I KNOW for a fact that my leaving didn't have ANYTHING to do