My outside cat has an electric blanket

Old June 25th 15, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

Default My outside cat has an electric blanket

On 6/25/2015 6:07 PM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 18:03:53 -0400, buglady
wrote:

On 6/25/2015 2:07 PM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
Do you keep them in separate carriers? What about feeding and litter
during, say, a two or three day driving trip?

.............I'd say yes to separate carriers. Take them out of
carriers in motel room at night, set up litter box in bathroom and feed
as usual. Bring a little whisk broom and pan to clean up before you
leave. You can offer water and litter box during the day, but I bet
they won't be interested and it increases the chances of them getting
loose and lost if you open the carriers before they're safe in a room.
If there's a way you can put water in the carrier w/o it being spilled
all over during the ride, I'd do that. Cats can hold it forever. Ever
take a cat into the vet to stay overnight to get a urine sample? Good
luck with that! Alternatively you can get a big crate and put both of
them in with a litter box and water during the ride, but, take it from
me, that's hard to haul in and out of the car.

Thanks! Good advice.

..............one other thing. I was moving from IN to FL so I called
motels ahead of time around the area I thought I'd be stopping to see if
they'd allow cats in the room. The answer was yes. I did not make a
reservation as this was one of those motels right off the highway. When
I pulled in I reminded them that I had called about cats being in the
room. Receptionist asked how many cats, answer was 6 then she said NO,
too many cats! I was exhausted, it was dusk and the next place I
stopped I told them I had 2 cats and they let me stay.

Mostly the cats got out of the carrier and hid under the covers for a
while before eating and doing their business.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old June 25th 15, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

wrote:

[...]

I know my two would go under the bed if they are frightened (in a
strange place). I could have a problem getting them out. I have had
the problem here at home especially if I have strangers (workmen, etc)
in the house.

Old June 26th 15, 08:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

buglady writes:

On 6/25/2015 2:07 PM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
Do you keep them in separate carriers? What about feeding and litter
during, say, a two or three day driving trip?

.............I'd say yes to separate carriers.

(snip)

Agreed; it may be worth my mentioning that we once we had a pair of
carriers with a wide grate at the front that the cats could get their
paw through, and they seemed to quite like being placed so that they
could face each other and even "hold hands"!

Our current cat is actually very sedate so, if there is someone in the
back of the car, we just put a harness on him and have that person look
after him and he just sits there and gives no trouble. When we stop at
places like rest areas we try to park a little way from any craziness or
busy traffic so he can look around a bit without it being too scary.

Some of the carriers intended for things like shipping pets
internationally can be useful. They are big and heavy, but they have
plenty of room for the cat to be able to sit up fully, vents for them to
peer out of, and have a water dispenser.

-- Mark
Old June 26th 15, 11:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 6/25/2015 6:55 PM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
I know my two would go under the bed if they are frightened (in a
strange place). I could have a problem getting them out. I have had
the problem here at home especially if I have strangers (workmen, etc)
in the house.

...........I'd say there aren't any motels that have an "under the bed"!
They're all on wooden platforms. I have no idea why.

Old June 26th 15, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 06:40:30 -0400, buglady
wrote:

On 6/25/2015 6:55 PM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
I know my two would go under the bed if they are frightened (in a
strange place). I could have a problem getting them out. I have had
the problem here at home especially if I have strangers (workmen, etc)
in the house.

..........I'd say there aren't any motels that have an "under the bed"!
They're all on wooden platforms. I have no idea why.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

From what I've read, use separate carriers. I have one big plastic
carrier - Nipsy will go in that one because he is big. I ordered three
smaller soft-sided carriers for the other three. They are a bit
smaller than I thought - hopefully high enough so they can stand up.
There won't be a whole lot of room in the MiniVan since I'm taking a
bunch of stuff that I don't want to sit in a hot moving van for up to
a week. I'm hoping that the soft sides will allow for a bit of wiggle
room.

My vet said NO to giving them any kind of sedative, but did say not to
feed them in the morning, and probably feed them less than normal. No
litterbox in the van, but I'll put down a tarp to protect the stuff
from any accidents.

I have no idea how I'm going to keep Nipsy and Baby from yowling the
whole way, but hopefully they'll calm down.
Old June 26th 15, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 08:49:26 +0100, Mark Carroll
wrote:

buglady writes:

On 6/25/2015 2:07 PM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
Do you keep them in separate carriers? What about feeding and litter
during, say, a two or three day driving trip?

.............I'd say yes to separate carriers.

(snip)

Agreed; it may be worth my mentioning that we once we had a pair of
carriers with a wide grate at the front that the cats could get their
paw through, and they seemed to quite like being placed so that they
could face each other and even "hold hands"!

I do have two carriers, but they take up a lot of space in a small
car.

When I have taken them both to the vet, I have put the carriers in the
back seat with the fronts facing each other, and I have never heard
any complaints from them as long as they can see each other.