The hair battle - what do YOU do

Old August 26th 04, 12:10 AM
dgk

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:19:40 GMT, "Christi Conley"
wrote:

to combat the shedding?
I have four indoor only cats - and my 2 males
shed like crazy all year round - the more I brush
them, the more they shed (or so it seems) - my
house is becoming covered with cat hair. I
don't have dust bunnies anymore, I have dust
elephants fueled by the cat hair - I can't seem to
get the rugs clean of the hair unless I brush the
rug or use my hand to "gather" up the hair --

What do you do to combat the shedding &
your home becoming covered with hair?

Thanks!

Rip up the rugs. That way hair can't get in them.

I have one cat who will let me vacuum him. The other two are not quite
as easy.
Old August 26th 04, 01:51 AM
Rob

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

"Christi Conley" wrote in message
to combat the shedding?
I have four indoor only cats - and my 2 males
shed like crazy all year round - the more I brush
them, the more they shed (or so it seems) - my
house is becoming covered with cat hair. I
don't have dust bunnies anymore, I have dust
elephants fueled by the cat hair - I can't seem to
get the rugs clean of the hair unless I brush the
rug or use my hand to "gather" up the hair --

What do you do to combat the shedding &
your home becoming covered with hair?

Thanks!

Combing/brushing the cats may help. Otoh, I've not found a lot of
difference...

If you run a very slightly damp hand along the cats, your hand will pick
up
a lot of hair. Same thing for rugs, upholstery, etc. I also use a lint
brush on rugs & upholstery, bedspreads, etc. And there are very dense foam
sponges (used dry or slightly damp) that are good at doing this - I've
found
them in DIY stores in the past. They're marketed as good for cleaning the
dust off lamp shades & such, but they also are great for gathering up cat
hair.

Cathy

the dense foam sponge is GREAT for getting cat hair off clothing. far
better than any lint brush or roller i've used.

Old August 26th 04, 02:15 AM
Mary

What do you do to combat the shedding &
your home becoming covered with hair?

I have this amazing vaccuum cleaner. The hand element has rotating brushes that
brush it up. I also sometimes get a scrub brush and brush the rug or seat
cushions in circles to pick up fur. They have that sticky tape on long broom
poles also. I brush my cats outside. Sometimes I use a rat comb to really pull
the loose strands out. I also sometimes wipe them down with a moist cloth to
get even more hair. I then use the vaccuum cleaner on the hardwood floors also.
I have the sticky tape rolls handy to get my clothes right before I leave the
house. I vaccuum a lot.

Old August 26th 04, 05:28 AM
Harriet

I had the same problem with one of my cats. extreme shedding. I didn't
have to touch him much in order for a lot of fur to fall out. I went to a
pet supply store and told the clerk and he picked out a liquid vitamin for
cats to put in food or a little water. it really worked.
it was moderately priced. if the shop is good, the staff will know what to
recommend.
good luck, Harriet

Old August 26th 04, 01:27 PM
Scumball

We use a Dyson upright DC07 - sucks up every last hair.
Don't know how good the cylinder (drag around) units are - but I loathe
them, they're a pain in the ass.
I lift it onto the sofa, which works - and it's awesome for getting dust
(and of course, the attached mites) out of the bed mattress (do both sides).
And don't under-estimate the powerful effect dust mite allergies can have on
auto-immune conditions such as rheumatism, etc.
If you've never vacuumed your mattress, you'll be horrified by the quantity
of dust that a Dyson sucks out !

--
Christi
Stampin' Up! Representative

Old August 26th 04, 03:40 PM
Mary

"Scumball" wrote in message
We use a Dyson upright DC07 - sucks up every last hair. Don't know how

good the cylinder (drag around) units are - but I loathe them, they're a
pain in the ass.
I lift it onto the sofa, which works - and it's awesome for getting dust
(and of course, the attached mites) out of the bed

I forgot to mention that I use the little Shark thing, with the upholstery
brush for furniture. That little thing is so powerful that when you turn it
on it fishtails with torque! lol