Need help with fleas

Old February 1st 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Need help with fleas

I hate fleas!

All the furry people have been dosed with Advantage. Indeed, were dosed a
week ago. I don't see any evidence of fleas on them. But I certainly still
get fleas on me. The itch is driving me batty. Neither Joel nor Cary seem to
suffer from them, but I seem to attract fleas just like I attract mosquitos.
And the bites come up in beg red itchy lumps and can itch for *days* if I'm
stupid enough to scratch at them (and not scratching at them is a test in
self control).

Usually, when I spot a flea inside (whether on a furry person or on me) I
dose everyone with Frontline, but for some reason I used Advantage this
time. With Frontline, I did'nt get bitten by fleas within 48 hours of doing
the critters but it seems Advantage works in a different way.

I am *loathe* to fleabomb the house because Cary is still into everything
and a large proportion of that 'everything' ends up in his mouth (or ears).

Two questions: Could I re-dose the critters with Frontline after doing them
with Advantage? And does anyone know of a good flea treatment that doesnt'
involve spreading toxic chemicals all over my house?

Yowie

Old February 1st 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in
:

Two questions: Could I re-dose the critters with Frontline after doing
them with Advantage? And does anyone know of a good flea treatment
that doesnt' involve spreading toxic chemicals all over my house?

First, try giving your cats brewer's yeast tablets daily - it's good for
them, it makes their coats shiny, and it repels fleas. (And they *love*
it - my cats get very testy if they don't get their 'treat' every
morning.)

Also, you could try making yourself less tasty to the fleas - try taking
a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar each day for a week or so.
It tastes pretty bad straight, but you'll acidify yourself and the bugs
will stop biting you. If you want something that tastes better, google
for vinegar mint drink recipe and you'll find a traditional Arab drink
that's delicious.

Chak

--
Too much of philosophy comes across as "Science as it would be practiced
by Lawyers or Politicians".
Old February 1st 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in message

I am *loathe* to fleabomb the house because Cary is still into everything
and a large proportion of that 'everything' ends up in his mouth (or
ears).

Personally, if it t'were me, I'd be seriously considering arranging for the
place to be fleabombed to coincide with a family day out. That way you are
starting with a clean slate and can help prevent reinfestation.

Cheers, helen s

Old February 1st 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

you might want to consider professionals.
i remember a serious problem and one person, like yourself, was not
only bitten all the time but was allergic so nasty reactions.

we tried all sorts of chemicals, even those that are supposed to kill
the eggs.
the fleas can live up to one year in certain states, not geographic,
but physical!
that's a loooooooooong time.

we bombed, we sprayed, we washed, we vacuumed, we bombed some more.
we spent a fortune in good and bad chemicals.

eventually it turned out that the dog in the house had infected a
certain carpet in a room that was not viewed as flea infested.

the carpet was thrown out.

the problem went away.

even spraying and vacuuming that carpet did not do a darn thing.
fleas are something else when it comes to survival.

Old February 1st 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in message

Two questions: Could I re-dose the critters with Frontline after doing them
with Advantage? And does anyone know of a good flea treatment that doesnt'
involve spreading toxic chemicals all over my house?/////

Try putting a couple of cat & dog flea collars in the vacuum cleaner
bag, and then doing a couple of *REALLY* thorough vaccuums throughout
the whole house. It's a method that has worked for me inb the past.

Helen M

Old February 1st 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:
[...]

try vacuuming everything really well, and maybe getting carey out of the
house for a day and spraying the furniture and rugs with an anti-flea
spray, if you can afford to, launder ALL your launderable items in hot
water, even if they're already clean. (we had to do all this to get rid
of a bad infestation of head lice one time, it was horrid)

Kristy
Old February 1st 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Well and great treatment will involve bombing for fleas. But a good
treatment would just be to vacuum very thoroughly and to wash all the
bedding etc that is washable. Our vet says that flea eggs to vacuum up
easily and launder out easily. I'd also want to be spraying around outside
the house if you don't want to spray inside.

I feel for you. I seem to be the favored flea meal around here.

Jo

Old February 1st 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie, you need to treat your whole environment, just vacuuming will not do
the trick, flea eggs can lay dormant for months.

Lois

--
http://zeotropeburmese.kiwiwebhost.net.nz

Burmese are like potato chips, you can't just have one!

Old February 5th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen Miles wrote:

Try putting a couple of cat & dog flea collars in the vacuum cleaner
bag, and then doing a couple of *REALLY* thorough vaccuums throughout
the whole house. It's a method that has worked for me inb the past.

Wow, that's a great idea! I never thought of that.

Joyce