A cat forum. CatBanter

Skwirrel

Old August 26th 18, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

Default I forgot to say (WAS: Skwirrel)

On Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 3:55:56 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
On 8/19/2018 4:18 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 17:14:08 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I have a small bird bath on my back patio. It's very hot in South
Carolina this time of year so the birds drink and splash around in it
and the grey squirrels drink from it. One day last week I saw a
squirrel next to the bird bath go flat next to it. Turned out there was
a white-tail deer walking by. I guess the squirrel thought if it made
itself flat the deer wouldn't notice it. I had no idea squirrels are
afraid of deer. LOL

Jill

Up here in Buffalo, they aren't. In fact, I saw a grey (or is it gray?) squirrel
climb a tree and get an apple free to two deer below, only to get the core of
the apple once the deer ate the apple and wandered off.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Nice to see you back, John! It's been a while. I think both grey and
gray are acceptible.

Jill

Apparently it's Grey for me and Gray for you. But we have even started calling it Yogurt, rather than Yoghurt, even the UK is dropping the 'H' now apparently. Sucks that I'm old enough to remember the 'correct' spelling. =^\./^=
Old September 9th 18, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tigger[_2_]

Default Skwirrel

Bill Stock wrote:
On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 11:09:48 PM UTC-4, Tigger wrote:
Bill Stock wrote:

The black squirrel was back again today, but this time he was splayed out in the Cedar mulch. I was thinking that must be itchy on the stomach, but I guess even the squirrels need a break from the heat. Although this

This may be an instance of anting, which is common in birds, and I
found a couple references on the interwebs, but nothing definitive.

Could be, but I think he was relaxing while he waited for the food train.

hmmm

https://www.librarycat.com/squirrels-lie-flat/

Hide, cool off, rest.

https://outdoors.stackexchange.com/q...-doing-and-why

soak up heat

The Cardinal sits on the patio door handle and looks in the window looking for his peanuts. We had one that would sit on the window ledge and peck on the window to get your attention.

Sort of thing one sees in corvids...
Old September 16th 18, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

Bill Stock wrote:

The black squirrel was back again today, but this time he was splayed out in the Cedar mulch. I was thinking that must be itchy on the stomach, but I guess even the squirrels need a break from the heat. Although this

This may be an instance of anting, which is common in birds, and I
found a couple references on the interwebs, but nothing definitive.

Could be, but I think he was relaxing while he waited for the food train.

hmmm

https://www.librarycat.com/squirrels-lie-flat/

Hide, cool off, rest.

https://outdoors.stackexchange.com/q...-doing-and-why

soak up heat

The Cardinal sits on the patio door handle and looks in the window looking for his peanuts. We had one that would sit on the window ledge and peck on the window to get your attention.

Sort of thing one sees in corvids...

Yeah, a combination of relaxing and staying cool in the case of the mulch (shade) or warm in the case of the deck.