Help: Depressed cat?

Old August 15th 03, 12:52 PM
FISH

Default Help: Depressed cat?

My parents have two cats, brother and sister, which they got when they
were six months old (the cats, that is, not my parents! :-) Jake is
a big, heavy (although not fat!) black cat, his sister Chloe is much
smaller and not so independent.

When they first arrived Jake was playful, curious and very intelligent.
We tried to keep them inside for a couple of weeks until they settled,
but he became facinated about what lay beyond the back door - even going
as far as standing up on his hind legs and trying to paw the key in the
lock. He would investigate bags of shopping and walk off with any
packets or items he considered 'his' dangling from his mouth. And the
slightest touch would set off his very loud purr.

Three years on and Jakes behaviour is very different. My parents are
away, so I've taken on the responsibility of looking after their cats,
and I'm staggered by how much he has changed! He only comes into the
house for food, then he immediately wants to leave again. If I pick
him up and carry him into another room, he bolts for either the front
or back doors like his life depended upon it, and sits there waiting
to be released. He no longer purrs, hardly 'talks', nor enjoys being
touched, indeed he generally lowers his back when you attempt to stroke
him. He will still come running up to me outside, and follow me a
short distance up or down the street. He will engage, for a limited
time, in games like chasing a piece of string - but gets bored
quickly. He does still play with his sister, laying in ambush for
her behind walls and fences.

About 18 months ago - during another period of cat-sitting - Jake re-
turned on day with a large lump mid-way down his tail. The next day
when my parents returned I reported it too them, but my mother just
dismissed it as another battle scar. A few months later I noticed Jake
had trouble jumping onto a bed, so I urged by mother to take him to the
vet. The vet said it was nothing to worry about, and sent Jake home
without treatment. Anyway I made a fuss and so eventually he got his
tail x-rayed - which revealed a metal pellet gun shot. One of the
local youths had presumably used Jake for target practice.

I've noticed while I've been feeding him these last few days that
his tail sometimes twitches. I'm wondering if he is still in
discomfort from that episode (they operated and removed the shot,
btw) - damaged nerves or something? Is this the source of his
apparent depression?

Or is he just bored by life in suberbia? Perhaps he seeks the
jet-set life of fast cars and loose kitten?

He has started spraying inside the house over the past few months,
perhaps this is why he is afraid to visit anywhere except the kitchen
and hall (which he doesn't spray!) - because he thinks he's going to
get chased again?

Any help on diagnosing his problem would be gratefully appreciated.

-FISH-
Old August 16th 03, 09:41 PM
Alison

Poor Jake ,Good job he has you to care for him . If he is spraying in
the house it's possible your parents have reacted in a hostile way by
shouting or something and that is why he is afraid to come in .
Cats tails do often twitch . I dont know if its a pain indicater but
maybe your cat is in discomfort either from the old wound or maybe
something else.
Is Jake neutered ?if not he should be done . Neutered cats will
spray indoors if they are upset, they do it to reassure themselves.
Cats will do this if they see a strange cat in the garden or are
being bullied by another cat. You have to clean it up with an enzymne
cleaner that removes all traces of the smell . Feliway plug in or
spray also helps to calm cats . You can get them from your vet.
Are you in a position to offer Jake a home ? He might be better off
with you .
--
Alison

Old August 18th 03, 11:02 AM
FISH

"Alison" wrote in message ...
Poor Jake ,Good job he has you to care for him . If he is spraying in
the house it's possible your parents have reacted in a hostile way by
shouting or something and that is why he is afraid to come in .

On Saturday I encouraged him into the living room by trailing a
shoelace along the floor. He nosed around a bit, then sat in the
middle of the room for a couple of minutes. Then got up and headed
for the back door. A slight improvement.

Is Jake neutered ?if not he should be done . Neutered cats will
spray indoors if they are upset, they do it to reassure themselves.

Yes, he came from one of those cat rescue/sanctuary places, hence
him being six months old when my parents first got him and his
sister. They insist on all the necessary ops and jabs before they
let you have a cat.

Cats will do this if they see a strange cat in the garden or are
being bullied by another cat. You have to clean it up with an enzymne
cleaner that removes all traces of the smell . Feliway plug in or
spray also helps to calm cats . You can get them from your vet.

Aha - the neighbours changed next door about six months ago, and
they have at least one cat. Although on the two occassions I've
seen it, it has always been incredibly timid. It even runs from
Jake's smaller sister. I've seen other unfamilar cats in the
neighbourhood recently too, although I don't know where they are
coming from. (They didn't have backpacks or cameras, so I'm
guessing they weren't tourists :-)

Are you in a position to offer Jake a home ? He might be better off
with you .

He's one of those cats you have to share with other people. Two
doors down they used to have a cat, and still have a cat flap. Jake
just walked into their kitchen one day and made himself at home. He's
been visiting there ever since, and I suspect that is where he sleeps
at night.

On Sunday I coaxed him into the garden and played with him for half
an hour - "chase the shoelace" (or in Jake's case, "chase the shoe-
lace, catch it, sit on it and start to eat it, while I frantically
try to pull it off him!") He seemed a little happier, and even let
me stroke him, but he still isn't purring, talking, and still avoids
all eye contact with me.

Many thanks for your help. I'll look into getting one of those
plug-ins.

-FISH-
Old August 18th 03, 11:02 AM
FISH

"Alison" wrote in message ...
[...]

Angry and Depressed Ginger-lyn Summer Cat anecdotes 36 December 13th 04 09:01 PM
Mike's depressed LOL Cat anecdotes 30 April 23rd 04 04:12 AM
Is my cat depressed? Terry Cat health & behaviour 10 August 13th 03 01:47 AM