Rough Vet Visit, Aloof Cat

Old August 18th 03, 02:59 AM
Noreen Cooper

PawsForThought wrote:

: Noreen, I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I can't help but wonder what
: really went on at that vet's. Was your cat ever out of your sight?

No, she was never out of my sight but she was growling (very angry) the
whole time the tech was scruffing her. This was quite uncharacteristic
since she is usually a very mellow cat. However, she has always been
skittish at the vets while my other two cats seem to stay still while
being examined. This particular cat wants to get away when ever she sees
a white coat approaching. She's always been this way but more experienced
vets would pet her and try and calm her down before doing an examination.
This particular vet saw her skittishness and immediately ordered her to be
scruffed.

Noreen
Old August 18th 03, 03:06 AM
Noreen Cooper

cmtowle wrote:

: There are two possibilities I can think of. One, your kitty associates you
: with the traumatic experience since you were there with her. So, when you
: come close she might simply still be afraid. I would not approach her or
: pick her up, but let her come to you on her own time. Spend a lot of time
: with her in a favourite room, perch, area and simply "be" with her without
: expectations. Give her favourite treats. Speak gently with her, tell her
: stories, sing to her, sit at her level, but without "handling" her. If she
: starts relaxing, you can try to stroke her where she likes to be stroked,
: but only for short times. It may take some time for her to trust you again,
: so don't rush it. My take on it is that she will come around, but may have
: been scared enough by the experience, smells, vet, so as to not forget it
: all too quickly.

This is probably what's going on. I feel so bad that I didn't know enough
to stand up to the vet and insist the cat not be scruffed. I also should
have insisted on a pill rather than an injection. It's one thing to learn
lessons and you're the recipient but I feel so bad I had to learn a lesson
yet the cat had to suffer.

: The other possibility I thought of, although probably more remote, is that
: she was hurt physically when scruffed or injected since it sounds like she
: was handled roughly. When she seems relaxed with you (perhaps when snoozing)
: while you gently speak to her, see if you can determine if there are any
: areas that are tender and hurt her. She will let you know.

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

: If they were carefully introduced and your traumatized kitty is grooming the
: kitten, she might actually be a good buddy for her while she gets over her
: fear. Just make sure you watch the two together and observe whether your
: traumatized kitty's behaviour has changed toward the kitten since the vet
: visit.

No, the traumatized cat has a very sweet personality. She's already
grooming the kitten as if it were her own. They're sleeping together on
the perch now, they wrestle, so at least she's occupied with a new friend
to help her get over this bad experience.

What worries me is if she really does become a problem cat when she has to
to it. I'll make sure an inform the new vet of the problem beforehand.

Thanks for all the tips.

Noreen

Old August 18th 03, 06:16 AM
MaryL

"Noreen Cooper" wrote in message
cmtowle wrote:

What worries me is if she really does become a problem cat when she has to
to it. I'll make sure an inform the new vet of the problem beforehand.

Thanks for all the tips.

Noreen

In addition to the other suggestions that have already been made (but
especially, a new vet), I would like to add this: it would be a good idea
to get some Feliway. Feliway is used for behavior modification and can be
very useful in reducing stress. Get one or two plug-in diffusers and place
them in the locations most used by your cat. In addition, get one of the
Feliway spray-on containers and spray that in the pet carrier before going
to the vet.

Good luck! This has been a very stressful experience for you and your cat.

MaryL

Old August 18th 03, 06:16 AM
MaryL

cmtowle wrote:

What worries me is if she really does become a problem cat when she has to
to it. I'll make sure an inform the new vet of the problem beforehand.

Thanks for all the tips.

Noreen

In addition to the other suggestions that have already been made (but
especially, a new vet), I would like to add this: it would be a good idea
to get some Feliway. Feliway is used for behavior modification and can be
very useful in reducing stress. Get one or two plug-in diffusers and place
them in the locations most used by your cat. In addition, get one of the
Feliway spray-on containers and spray that in the pet carrier before going
to the vet.

Good luck! This has been a very stressful experience for you and your cat.

MaryL

Sam's first vet visit Ann Cat anecdotes 10 November 19th 04 09:55 PM
Bunters visit JP Hobbs Cat anecdotes 4 December 15th 03 03:53 AM
Weeble Update: 1st Officical Vet Visit Brenda Watkins Cat anecdotes 2 September 20th 03 04:22 AM