Good news for me! (and the Princess Rita)

Old July 19th 12, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

Default Good news for me! (and the Princess Rita)

Just in case anyone cares....

After working for the better part of 38 years, 22 of them as a government contractor for one agency or another, I have FINALLY been hired by the government itself!! I Am A Fed! woohoo!

It's a little pay cut, but a big boost in job security. I have lost my job twice because of contracts ending, and I lost a job once because a long-term government jerk took a dislike to me (and many others), but now *I* am the government person! Oh, I can still be fired, but it'll be harder now.

I'm thinking, 'Now I can think about buying a house! What does Rita want in a house?'

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old July 19th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jane" wrote in message
Just in case anyone cares....

I feel so sad that you said this.

After working for the better part of 38 years, 22 of them as a government
contractor for one agency or another, I have FINALLY been hired by the
government itself!! I Am A Fed! woohoo!

It's a little pay cut, but a big boost in job security. I have lost my job
twice because of contracts ending, and I lost a job once because a
long-term government jerk took a dislike to me (and many others), but now
*I* am the government person! Oh, I can still be fired, but it'll be
harder now.

I'm thinking, 'Now I can think about buying a house! What does Rita want
in a house?'

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Yay! I am so happy for you and Princess Rita
Tweed

Old July 19th 12, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Jane wrote:
Just in case anyone cares....

After working for the better part of 38 years, 22 of them as a government
contractor for one agency or another, I have FINALLY been hired by the
government itself!! I Am A Fed! woohoo!

It's a little pay cut, but a big boost in job security. I have lost my
job twice because of contracts ending, and I lost a job once because a
long-term government jerk took a dislike to me (and many others), but now
*I* am the government person! Oh, I can still be fired, but it'll be harder now.

I'm thinking, 'Now I can think about buying a house! What does Rita want in a house?'

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Congratulations! Princess Rita won't have to worry about food and treats.
--
Adrian
Old July 20th 12, 09:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debby Hanoka[_2_]

Jane, of course we care! Why not buy Princess Rita a new kitty condo? It's the kind of house you can afford just starting out.

Congratulations!

Debby Hanoka
Old July 20th 12, 10:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jul 19, 6:26*pm, Jane wrote:
Just in case anyone cares....

After working for the better part of 38 years, 22 of them as a government contractor for one agency or another, I have FINALLY been hired by the government itself!! *I Am A Fed! *woohoo!

Congratulations!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old July 20th 12, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Friday, July 20, 2012 4:54:35 AM UTC-4, Debby Hanoka wrote:
Jane, of course we care! Why not buy Princess Rita a new kitty condo? It's the kind of house you can afford just starting out.

Congratulations!

Debby Hanoka

That's a very good idea, but there's just no more room in my apartment! LOL And she's got most of the furniture anyway. She has a lovely tree that takes up most of the patio window, and she climbs up and plays on that thing every single day.

Maybe if we get a new house.

Old July 20th 12, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:26:38 -0700 (PDT), Jane
wrote:

Just in case anyone cares....

After working for the better part of 38 years, 22 of them as a government contractor for one agency or another, I have FINALLY been hired by the government itself!! I Am A Fed! woohoo!

It's a little pay cut, but a big boost in job security. I have lost my job twice because of contracts ending, and I lost a job once because a long-term government jerk took a dislike to me (and many others), but now *I* am the government person! Oh, I can still be fired, but it'll be harder now.

I'm thinking, 'Now I can think about buying a house! What does Rita want in a house?'

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Congrats. Rita wants a little backyard with a fence that will keep her
in the backyard.

Old July 21st 12, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

Congrats. Rita wants a little backyard with a fence that will keep her
in the backyard.

and you know this how? Has Rita told you this?

Old July 23rd 12, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:00:03 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Congrats. Rita wants a little backyard with a fence that will keep her
in the backyard.

and you know this how? Has Rita told you this?

I thought the thread was about what Rita wanted. From my experience,
cats like to be able to go outside and lay in the sun. Or, given the
temperature lately, on the damp ground under some nice plant supplying
shade. Since all four of my cats love doing this, I think it likely
that Rita would as well. They don't agree on anything else!

The funny thing is that I really owe my first two cats (RB) for me
even owning a little house. I've written about this before. I used to
have an apartment where a stray beam of sunlight made its way in
sometime in the afternoon (no southern exposure so no direct sunlight
most of the time). The cats would try to lay down when that bit of sun
did make it in.

So, when a friend needed to sell a small house, I bought it, mostly so
Nico and Busky could have sunny windows and an actual safe backyard.
They want the yard but we want to keep them safe. The price was also
very reasonable and a personal mortgage made it possible. I do not
think that I could afford to buy a house now, but interest rates are
very low.

How then to keep them from leaving the backyard? My solution was
something like CatFenceIn. I put up a fence that curved in at the top
and makes it pretty difficult for them to leave. Not perfect, but no
cat has left in 10 years or so. They also have the Loc8tor on their
collars so I can find them - that comes in very handy this time of
year with the backdoor open and the yard pretty well overgrown.

If you're thinking of getting a new place, Rita might very well like a
little yard. I always thought the best idea would be a house built
around a yard, so the cats really couldn't get anywhere else. But
available funds make that a less-than-likely option for me and
probably most people.

Old July 23rd 12, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:00:03 PM UTC-4, Christina Websell wrote:
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:26:38 -0700 (PDT), Jane
> > wrote:
>
> Congrats. Rita wants a little backyard with a fence that will keep her
> in the backyard.

and you know this how? Has Rita told you this?

Yes, I would definitely look for a little backyard, but I'd get her one of those enclosures, rather than just a fence. She's never shown any interest in going outdoors, but I think she might like it if she can feel safe out there.

She likes to *look* and *smell* out the door when the balconey door is open, but has never tried to go out there yet. She did come out exploring once when I was out there, but she slipped right back inside the minute I stood up.
As a former stray, I suspect that she associates the Big Out with fear and hunger.