My computer crapped out last night

Old July 25th 12, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default My computer crapped out last night

I had to buy a new computer today. "Going Green" (paperless billing) is a
great idea, in concept. Except when you don't get paper bills and you pay
them all online. Then you absolutely have to have a computer. It's a
Catch-22. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. (sigh) I did restore from
a backup, but I'll be damned if I can figure out where the files are.

I set up email and newsgroups pretty much from memory. Fortunately the
folks at news.individual.net were happy to tell me how to configure Windows
Live Mail to access newsgroups again. But I'm still struggling with this
version of Live Mail. (And before anyone suggests I try another newsreader,
sorry, I have enough to deal with right now. I'm not going to try to
configure yet another program.) My email works. My newsgroup connection
works. It's a little wonky, but I'm able to access both. For now that's
all I care about.

Jill

Old July 25th 12, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

In article , jmcquown
wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you're up and running. Especially to the group and email.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Thank you, Judith! Although this version of Windows Live Mail is rather
annoying

Jill

Old July 25th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

My computer was norty last week and I did a system restore to a day before.
It did not work too well so I did a week restore and now it's fine.
When I turned it on, all it would do was ping ping ping noise.

Old July 25th 12, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

That's really bad luck, I didn't think you'd had your old computer very
long.
--
Adrian
Old July 26th 12, 06:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
My computer was norty last week and I did a system restore to a
day before. It did not work too well so I did a week restore
and now it's fine.
When I turned it on, all it would do was ping ping ping noise.

You're lucky that a system restore worked! "Ping-ping-ping" (or
"beep-beep-beep") is usually an error signal from POST (Power On
Self Test), and can be a sign of a serious hardware fault.

--
MatSav

Old July 26th 12, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"MatSav" wrote in message ...

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
My computer was norty last week and I did a system restore to a day
before. It did not work too well so I did a week restore and now it's
fine.
When I turned it on, all it would do was ping ping ping noise.

You're lucky that a system restore worked! "Ping-ping-ping" (or
"beep-beep-beep") is usually an error signal from POST (Power On
Self Test), and can be a sign of a serious hardware fault.

--
MatSav

Very lucky! I've done system restores before, too. In this instance, I got
the "beep beep beep". The machine would turn on but the monitor and other
components were simply dead. (This is a laptop). Fortunately the hard
drive was still readable so they're restoring that to a portable hard drive.
I'll be able to reload some data. Meanwhile, I've lost my contacts/address
book info. Hence my request for people to send me emails so I can add you
folks back to my contacts list.

Jill

Old July 26th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MatSav" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
My computer was norty last week and I did a system restore to a day
before. It did not work too well so I did a week restore and now it's
fine.
When I turned it on, all it would do was ping ping ping noise.

You're lucky that a system restore worked! "Ping-ping-ping" (or
"beep-beep-beep") is usually an error signal from POST (Power On Self
Test), and can be a sign of a serious hardware fault.

--
MatSav

Fingers crossed, it's worked up to now. It seems perfick. Same thing
happened to my previous computer and that was a gonner.
If I disappear from the group you will know why.

Old July 29th 12, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/26/2012 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
Very lucky! I've done system restores before, too. In this instance, I
got the "beep beep beep". The machine would turn on but the monitor and
other components were simply dead. (This is a laptop). Fortunately the
hard drive was still readable so they're restoring that to a portable
hard drive. I'll be able to reload some data. Meanwhile, I've lost my
contacts/address book info. Hence my request for people to send me
emails so I can add you folks back to my contacts list.

There are also little external drive bays with USB connectors that you
can buy for cheap to restore your data to a new computer. That's what I
did. A little SATA drive bay. Worked like a charm and cheaper.

Old July 29th 12, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
. com...
On 7/26/2012 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
Very lucky! I've done system restores before, too. In this instance, I
got the "beep beep beep". The machine would turn on but the monitor and
other components were simply dead. (This is a laptop). Fortunately the
hard drive was still readable so they're restoring that to a portable
hard drive. I'll be able to reload some data. Meanwhile, I've lost my
contacts/address book info. Hence my request for people to send me
emails so I can add you folks back to my contacts list.

There are also little external drive bays with USB connectors that you can
buy for cheap to restore your data to a new computer. That's what I did.
A little SATA drive bay. Worked like a charm and cheaper.

When my previous computer crashed the files were hidden in dbx files which I
couldn't access. I lost them.
We should all back up but I don't.

Old July 29th 12, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message
. com...
On 7/26/2012 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
Very lucky! I've done system restores before, too. In this instance, I
got the "beep beep beep". The machine would turn on but the monitor and
other components were simply dead. (This is a laptop). Fortunately the
hard drive was still readable so they're restoring that to a portable
hard drive. I'll be able to reload some data. Meanwhile, I've lost my
contacts/address book info. Hence my request for people to send me
emails so I can add you folks back to my contacts list.

There are also little external drive bays with USB connectors that you can
buy for cheap to restore your data to a new computer. That's what I did.
A little SATA drive bay. Worked like a charm and cheaper.

When my previous computer crashed the files were hidden in dbx files which I
couldn't access. I lost them.
We should all back up but I don't.

Cloud storage services like Dropbox can be usefull for backing up important
files and pictures, you can also make pictures public and share them with
others if you wish.
--
Adrian