Feral cat refuses to eat

Old December 7th 03, 07:35 PM
Sheri

Default Feral cat refuses to eat

Hi --- I recently trapped 2 young feral male cats. The smaller one
amazingly started purring when I petted him (even though he'd never
let anyone around here touch him before). He's now eating fine and
acting affectionate toward me.

His buddy is another story. He acts utterly terrified. He was shaking
so hard when I trapped him that I though he'd have a heart attack. I
took them to the vet for FIV and FeLV testing (both cats were
negative). Right now, I have them in a large walk-in closet with
water, food and litter. The small cat gulps the canned food down, but
the other cat will not eat as far as I can tell. I leave dry food in
there also but peek in when I hear crunching --- it's always the
smaller cat who is eating. It's been two days. Should I give him
another day or so and then take him to the vet? I don't want him to
end up with liver damage. Do you think any vet would be willing to
force-feed a feral cat. This little guy is somewhat hostile, but he
will let me scratch his jaws a little bit.

Releasing him is not an option. The small, friendlier cat is his best
buddy. They were always together. They even ended up in the trap
together as they entered side by side. The small cat seemed so
miserable as a stray, and I don't want to spearate them.

The other reason for not doing the trap/neuter/return program for
these cats is that I found out the person who had promised to feed
them is completely unreliable. She refuses to put out clean water. She
says they can drink out of puddles when it rains. (Last summer she put
out tons of food but no water in 90+ degree heat for some kittens who
ended up drinking fluids under a car and dying). She also does not
make plans for someone else to feed the cats when she's out of town
for extended periods of time. It's like the cats are there for her
amusement but she doesn't worry about them beyond that. (I am
reporting her irresponsible behavior to the local TNR program people
as well as the apartment manager where she lives).

I am however worried the one feral cat is going to die if he continues
to refuse to eat. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sheri
Old December 7th 03, 07:59 PM
Cheryl

In ,
Sheri composed with style:
[...]

I am however worried the one feral cat is going to die if he
continues to refuse to eat. Any ideas?

Good work on trapping them! That's awful about the so-called
caretaker, though. I hope someone else will take over if there are
others. As for getting the little one to eat, can you try some meat
baby food (warm it a little) and put it on a spoon for him to lick
off? I had to feed a feral this way and she wouldn't let me anywhere
near her - just as terrified as could be and I couldn't even touch her
at all, and she was ill after being spayed, I think it was feline
herpes and she couldn't breathe well. I taped a spoon to a long
wooden spoon to create some distance between us and she licked off the
baby food, then Hill's AD and then finally kitten food, and then she
was eating on her own when she was feeling better. Good luck!

Old December 7th 03, 07:59 PM
Cheryl

In ,
Sheri composed with style:
[...]

Old December 7th 03, 08:08 PM
Gail

Yes, try other foods such as roasted chicken cut up in pieces. Also, tuna
fish. I think he is just so frightened but that given time he will be OK. I
think you are wonderful for taking these guys in. Also, he may eat at night
when all is quiet and he feels safer in the darkness.
Gail

Old December 7th 03, 08:57 PM
guynoir

I learned a new word at the cat show yesterday: "Heinz-body hemolytic
anemia". It is the condition some animals (cats and small dogs) get
when they eat onions. Or garlic. One very common cause of Heinz-body
hemolytic anemia in cats is human "all meat" baby food: Many, if not
most of which contain onion powder. Read all about it:

http://www.monkeymaddness.com/articles/onions.html

From what I've read, fatty liver disease (hepatic lipidosis) is usually
associated with older, pampered, overweight cats who suddenly become
anorexic. I find it hard to believe that a young, skinny, starving
feral cat would even live long enough to have a problem with it. Read
all about it:

http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthliver.htm

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

Old December 7th 03, 09:02 PM
Adam Helberg

"Sheri" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried giving him some canned tuna. My cats will always eat tuna.

Adam

Old December 7th 03, 09:14 PM
Cheryl

In ink.net,
guynoir composed with style:
I learned a new word at the cat show yesterday: "Heinz-body
hemolytic anemia". It is the condition some animals (cats and
small dogs) get when they eat onions.

Yes, good reminder to look at the label and don't buy baby food for
cats that has onion in it. I keep Gerber turkey or chicken on hand
but others have suggested other brands.

This is also an opportunity to bond with the feral by spoon feeding
him occasionally. It worked for Bonnie.