Keeping cat on patio

Old July 29th 03, 02:23 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

"L. Kelly" wrote in message
. ca...
Hi Kate,

Don't be too surprised or upset by anything that Bob writes. He has been

here for years
and has always written the same garbage. He has them saved so he doesn't

have to rewrite
his rubbish every time he wants to say the same thing. Killfile him like

everyone else
has.

There is nothing at all wrong with keeping cats strictly indoors. I have

always done that
and my cats live to ripe old ages and die very happy kitties. They are

well loved and
cared for. What they are not is a nuisance to my neighbours.

You do what you think is best for your kitties and don't consider other

people's opinions
too much. As long as your cats are loved, cared for and happy, that's all

that matters.
--
Hugs,
Lynn

Old July 29th 03, 09:50 PM
bewtifulfreak

"Mogie" wrote in message
I learned a little while ago to ignore Bob. His lights are on but nobody

is
home.

He certainly sounds intelligent enough, but when he makes blanket statements
like, "People who keep indoor cats are selfish or cruel," when many people
with indoor cats are completely devoted to their pets (I agree that cats are
naturally outdoor creatures, but am open-minded enough to accept that there
are circumstances in which it's better to keep them indoors, and can be done
to the cat's satisfaction), "People only have problems with lactose
intolerance when they haven't had milk in awhile," (what about the fact that
we, like cats, don't have the proper digestive enzymes for cow's milk?), or
"The only threat to wild cats from humans is the depletion of their
habitat," (how about hunting?), it's hard to take anything the man says
seriously, because he's clearly too enamoured of his own intelligence to
consider that anyone else might have any opinions or knowledge of value.

Ann

Old July 31st 03, 09:57 AM
Bob Brenchley.

On 29 Jul 2003 15:36:41 +1000, wrote:

In article ,
Bob Brenchley. wrote:

Cats are NOT cage animals. If you live in an area where, for whatever
reason, you feel unable to allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for
at least some time each day (and only you can judge your area) then
don't have a cat. To have a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in
24/7 marks you are being cruel, selfish, or both.

I'm new to rec.pets.cats and a new cat owner. I was surprised by this
vehement claim. Is this just your personal opinion, or are you an expert
such as a vet? What organisations or studies support your claim?

I'm a cat person of over 40 years standing.

I obtained my two cats from the Cat Protection Society of NSW, who run a
no-kill shelter in Newtown, Sydney. The CPS included with their paperwork
a fact sheet called "Cats Living Indoors" which states, "More and more
people are keeping their cats indoors because they realise that there are
benefits not just for cats and themselves, but also for the environment.
Cats can live indoors very happily but it's vital... to make the cat's
environment as interesting and fun as possible."

In some areas of Australia cats do present some danger to local
wildlife. In those areas people should be encouraged not to keep cats.
There are no valid reasons for encouraging people to keep healthy cats
indoors 24/7.

The fact sheet goes on to outline outdoor hazards for cats, including
traffic, other animals, disease, parasites, and poisoning. It explains how
to "help your cat become a contented indoor cat" through desexing and
cleanliness and providing a secure place to hide, toys, greens, a play
centre, high spots to sit, and so on. They suggest having two cats to
entertain each other while the owner's at work.

I don't speak for the CPS, but it's obviously their view that not only is
keeping a cat indoors safer, it's certainly not cruel as long as it's done
with appropriate care.

The problem is that without long training as an animal keeper it is
impossible to give that "appropriate care".

Rather than letting them roam freely, my plan is to take my two boys out
with a harness and leash,

Cats are NOT dogs, don't try to ill-treat them by treating them like
dogs.

so they can have a good sniff round the
backyard; this has worked very well for my brother and sisters' kittens.
Eventually I hope to get the boys a cat enclosure so they can play
unsupervised. I've known too many cats who were allowed to "roam" and
never came home.

If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.
Old July 31st 03, 10:08 AM
Bob Brenchley.

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:50:53 +0100, "bewtifulfreak"
wrote:

"Mogie" wrote in message
I learned a little while ago to ignore Bob. His lights are on but nobody

is
home.

He certainly sounds intelligent enough, but when he makes blanket statements
like, "People who keep indoor cats are selfish or cruel," when many people
with indoor cats are completely devoted to their pets (I agree that cats are
naturally outdoor creatures, but am open-minded enough to accept that there
are circumstances in which it's better to keep them indoors,

There are, indeed, a few. There are some cats where health problems or
disability means that they have to be kept indoors. I know one cat
that has less than 10% vision who is normally kept indoors because her
owner lives near a main road, but even she gets to roam freely at
least once a week when he takes her over to his sister's house which
has large fields at the back.

and can be done
to the cat's satisfaction), "People only have problems with lactose
intolerance when they haven't had milk in awhile," (what about the fact that
we, like cats, don't have the proper digestive enzymes for cow's milk?),

Our digestive system is not perfect for any one food. Enzymes for
dealing with cows milk are in our bodies and our environment, but if
we do not drink milk for long periods then they die down to a low
level. Start having milk in very small amount, gradually taking more,
and most people have no problem at all.

In the UK most people continue drinking milk, if only in tea or on
cereals, throughout their lives. In countries where milk does not form
part of the usual diet you will see far more lactose intolerance.

or
"The only threat to wild cats from humans is the depletion of their
habitat," (how about hunting?),

There is VERY little hunting of wild cats.

it's hard to take anything the man says
seriously, because he's clearly too enamoured of his own intelligence to
consider that anyone else might have any opinions or knowledge of value.

All I can give are the facts.

Ann

Old July 31st 03, 02:38 PM
L. Kelly

"Moron Brenchley." stupidly and without forethought
wrote in message ...
| |
| | Cats are NOT cage animals. If you live in an area where, for whatever
| | reason, you feel unable to allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for
| | at least some time each day (and only you can judge your area) then
| | don't have a cat. To have a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in
| | 24/7 marks you are being cruel, selfish, or both.
| |
| | I'm new to rec.pets.cats and a new cat owner. I was surprised by this
| | vehement claim. Is this just your personal opinion, or are you an expert
| | such as a vet? What organisations or studies support your claim?
| |
| | Kate Orman http://www.zip.com.au/~korman/
| | "I have no idea what that meant." - Dot Warner
|
| Hi Kate,
|
| Don't be too surprised or upset by anything that Bob writes. He has been here for
years
| and has always written the same garbage. He has them saved so he doesn't have to
rewrite
| his rubbish every time he wants to say the same thing. Killfile him like everyone else
| has.
|
| There is nothing at all wrong with keeping cats strictly indoors. I have always done
that
| and my cats live to ripe old ages and die very happy kitties. They are well loved and
| cared for. What they are not is a nuisance to my neighbours.
|
| You do what you think is best for your kitties and don't consider other people's
opinions
| too much. As long as your cats are loved, cared for and happy, that's all that
matters.

| Funny how that cat abusers like myself always come out of the wordwork at times
| like this.
|
| --
| Bob.
|
| My IQ score is 2 (it takes 3 to know when I need to go to the bathroom).

If you find the 3 IQ point, Bob, then go and spew your rubbish in the toilet where it
belongs.

I live on a highway, with over 10,000 vehicles a day going through, absolutely no yard,
and near a rural area full of coyotes and wild dogs (one of which I have seen near my
home). If protecting my cats from those dangers makes me "cruel, selfish, or both" (to
quote your words), then I guess I would have to say that you are the one who is abusive.

Anyone who WOULD subject their so-called "loved pets" to these dangers is, indeed,
extremely cruel, selfish, stupid and abusive.

You have made it very obvious to all here that you have no love for your animals at all,
so please keep your mental garbage from spilling over into everyone's inbox.

Old August 1st 03, 04:36 AM
L. Kelly

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message

| Ah, but Bob believes that you just shouldn't have a cat if you live in an
| area like that. And as far as strays in those areas? I guess we're
| supposed to accept that a feral life full of disease, fighting and possibly
| starving or being eaten is a more 'natural' life for a cat, and therefore it
| will somehow be happier than if it were being kept indoors, fed, played
| with, and tended to. Myself, I find that awfully difficult to accept. I so
| wish the cats could have a (verbal) say in all this!!!
|
| Ann
| (who does let her cats outdoors, but only because it's safe to do so)

The one cat that I have is now over 8 years old. I moved here in March. Does my moving
here mean that I'm supposed to "disown" or "abandon" my cat to a new slave???????.....and
just to please a self-serving ass like Bob?!?!? :-O I could never!!!!!!
--
Lynn

Old August 1st 03, 05:17 AM
DeAnna

If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

Sir-

Where do you live?

You don't have any cat haters for neighbors? Or perhaps you don't *know* you do? You know,
the ones who are nice to your face, but secretly put antifreeze in a dish next to the
garbage can that your cat rummages in, because he is throwing trash across their patio? Or
the one who shoots the cat with a pellet gun, because the cat digs up his garden? Or the
person who just hates cats because they are 'cats' and knowing swerves to HIT instead of
swerving to miss, as kitty crosses the road? Are you aware that cats are the most
frequently tortured of all domestic animals?

So there is no traffic where you live? No cases of feline AIDS? No fleas or mosquitoes
carrying worms or other blood-borne disease or parasite?

Let me know where this Cat Utopia exists, because I'd love to live there.

The feral we just took in, was because the neighbors (on whose destructive dog I had
complained to Animal Control) were threatening to harm the cat, because (and I must say
unfairly) they couldn't just CALL animal control, as there is currently no law forbidding
cats to roam and destroy, but there is a law prohibiting DOGS from doing so. It wasn't
even our cat, but looked similar to our cat, so they 'assumed' it belonged to us and
threatened harm if we didn't 'keep it from bothering their dog'. Call me an 'abuser' all
you like. This baby isn't going any where near the outdoors. I prefer to call myself a
'responsible' pet owner. I am responsible for the behaviour of my kitties, as well as my
dog, and NONE of them are allowed off the property. They can go outside on leashes, or
attended if they obey me and stay in the yard (as my "son" did). They will soon have an
area that is 'enclosed' keeping them safely away from any predators, especially the humans
predators, of the ignorant and violent persuasion, yet allowing them access to the grass,
and sights and smells of outdoors.

I am not going to turn this little darling outside, to find her headless body on my
doorstep as part of some nasty neighbor feud, simply because I wouldn't allow their dog to
live at my house, eating my shoes and chewing up my garden hose.

One bad thing about domestication. We teach animals to trust humans. Sometimes I think
that is ultimately a bad thing. Like I tried to explain to a friend about rehabbing
wild creatures. You must not imprint them too much, because that fear and mistrust of
humans may save their lives. Not all humans are kind and good.

Sorry, I have to go "abuse" my babies, it is time for their nightly snack of cream and/or
tuna, and they have all taken turn to come remind me. They certainly have me very
well trained.

D.

PS-The door was opened to let the dog 'do her business' for the night. All of the cats ran
in the opposite direction as I held open the door, though I made no effort to stop them
going onto the porch. The dog went out long enough to accomplish what she had to, then
promptly sat at the door until I opened the screen for her to come in. I am thinking
they'd all rather be in this comfy A/C, lounging on comfy furniture, and licking the tuna
from their chins, than 'roaming'......

Old August 1st 03, 08:08 AM

In article ,
Bob Brenchley. wrote:
On 29 Jul 2003 15:36:41 +1000, wrote:

Cats are NOT cage animals. If you live in an area where, for whatever
reason, you feel unable to allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for
at least some time each day (and only you can judge your area) then
don't have a cat. To have a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in
24/7 marks you are being cruel, selfish, or both.

I'm new to rec.pets.cats and a new cat owner. I was surprised by this
vehement claim. Is this just your personal opinion, or are you an expert
such as a vet? What organisations or studies support your claim?

I'm a cat person of over 40 years standing.

Don't your feet hurt?

Took Frank for his first spacewalk today. My suspicion that the big chunky
guy is, in fact, a dog were increased when the only harness that would fit
him was a small dog harness. He was very good and patient about the
harness, and excited to be outside; he was a bit puzzled that I was always
two feet behind him. :-) It was all a bit much after five minutes, so he
hastened back indoors. Interestingly, I think he was tracking himself; a
few nights ago he made an unauthorised exit by knocking out a flyscreen,
only to come straight back to the front door and meow until he woke us up.
He knows where his food bowl is. :-) Anyway, further harness practice and
outdoor adventures to come.