anymore info on pancreatitis ?

Old February 20th 05, 04:30 AM
Mary

"kitkat" wrote

I think there are a few more pix of Paris than just Jim's grave and
Notre Dame. When I went to Paris in 1993, I hated it, but when I went
in 2003...I just LOVED it!

I was also there in 1993, is that wild or what? I went in April.

Again, thanks for keeping me company "virtually".

Any time. Don't forget to go look at the bat page. Blow up
#5 and #7. They will make you smile.

http://www.pbase.com/medoras/north_a..._bats_juvenile

Old February 20th 05, 04:38 AM
kitkat

Mary wrote:
"kitkat" wrote

I think there are a few more pix of Paris than just Jim's grave and
Notre Dame. When I went to Paris in 1993, I hated it, but when I went
in 2003...I just LOVED it!

I was also there in 1993, is that wild or what? I went in April.

I'm trying to remember which month I was there in '93. It very well
could have been April, however, I think it might have been March. It was
mixed in with a trip to Amsterdam, which could easily explain my lack of
memory.

#5 and #7. They will make you smile.

Heh.
Bats are cute...in a creepy sorta way.

Jasper just walked by!
Pam
Old February 20th 05, 06:09 AM
Rhonda

Pam,

Did you see the info I posted about food allergies or IBD? Have you
thought about trying those brands of food I mentioned?

Rhonda

kitkat wrote:

Phil P...I'm looking in your direction.

Jasper has basically slept ALL day. He did get up to use the cat box a
few times. The turkey meat that he hate...he barfed up. So it looks like
tomorrow we start the regimen of prednisone. We still have to give him
half of his dose of amoxicillin since he fought us off after only taking
half a dropper full.

If things don't start improving with the prednisone and a little more
antibiotic, I'll be taking him back to the vet on Monday. But in the
meanwhile...any words of wisdom?

scared!
Pam

Old February 20th 05, 09:09 AM
Phil P.

"kitkat" wrote in message
om...
Phil P. wrote:

First off - are you sure he has pancreatitis and not IBD?

Nope. Not sure. The vet says she "suspects" pancreatitis based on his
symptoms. (a vomiting episode, lethargy, fever, lack of appetite)

Speak to your vet about the new serum feline pancreatic lipase
immunoreactivity (fPLI) test. So far, the fPLI test is considered to be
more sensitive than any other test for pancreatitis in cats.

Jasper has eaten next to nothing since Thursday. Today we fed him a
little bit of turkey, but he returned it. The vet did not suggest
witholding food but to see if he would eat anything at all. She
suggested feeding him anything he would eat...whether it be his regular
wet food or cooked chicken or whatever.

Try heating up his food to body temp. - heated food is more aromatic and
more palatable which might help stimulate his appetite. Since his hasn't
eaten for a few days, I'd also try canned kitten food or Prescription Diet
a/d. Both diets are packed with nutrition (nutrient dense) and very
palatable.

You can also try Nutri-Cal to get some calories into him. Nutri-Cal is a
caloric-dense dietary supplement (30 kcal/tsp(6 g). Nutri-Cal come in a tube
like hairball remedy so you can smear some on his paw or lower belly where
he can lick it off. Many cats eat it right out of the tube.

The rest of the treatment at
this time is to administer antibiotics for a week and a regimen of
prednisone starting tomorrow if he doesn't eat first...which it's
looking like he isn't going to do. I'm hopeful that will kick start his
appetite. Would you think it is better to give him a few days to try and
get back to normal or get him back to the vet for more in-depth testing
right away?

Try the kitten food today - out of the can; if he doesn't eat it, try
heating it up. If he still doesn't eat it, I'd get him to the vet a.s.a.p.
for the fPLI test.

As long as Jasper doesn't/hasn't had constipation issues, you might want to
speak to your vet about sucralfate - just in case Jasper is having stomach
issues, and an antacid or cimetidine which might help by neutralizing some
stomach acid possibly indirectly inhibiting pancreatic secretion.

The vet sent Jasper home with us last night because he was
SO agitated there that they couldn't do much for him. His being blind
and deaf must only complicate the natural hate for the vet's office that
an animal feels. He was/is very relaxed and calm at home with us.

Stress is an important issue that must be minimized as much as possible.
So, I'd give the kitten food a shot since its readily available at any pet
store and many are open on Sunday. You might even find Nutri-Cal in a pet
store, otherwise you can order it online (~$4/tube). If he doesn't start
eating today, I'd get him in to the vet a.s.a.p. He'll probably need fluid
therapy to keep his electrolytes balanced.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I don't really know what we're dealing
with.

Best of luck.

Phil

Old February 20th 05, 09:34 AM
kitkat

Phil P. wrote:

I wish I could be more helpful, but I don't really know what we're dealing
with.

No no. You and everyone have been quite helpful.
Here is another question...I gave Jasper the first dose of prednisolone
last night. Over night, he left us what seems to be a VERY loose stool
in the litterbox. (diahrea?) Is this common? Could the pred be helping
his bowels get a-moving and thus the loose, but large bowel movement?

Pam
Old February 20th 05, 03:50 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"kitkat" wrote in message
om...
Phil P. wrote:

I wish I could be more helpful, but I don't really know what we're

dealing
with.

No no. You and everyone have been quite helpful.
Here is another question...I gave Jasper the first dose of prednisolone
last night. Over night, he left us what seems to be a VERY loose stool
in the litterbox. (diahrea?) Is this common? Could the pred be helping
his bowels get a-moving and thus the loose, but large bowel movement?

Pam

I don't know the answer to this question, since Debbie (my cat who took
Prednisone/Prednisolone) didn't experience this in regard to her initial
doses Pred. But did it do anything positive for his appetite?

I can second the recommendation for Hill's Prescription a/d. It can be
force-fed via a syringe into the side of the mouth if needed - a very fine
texture, but Debbie liked it so much that she would often lick it right off
a spoon. There were times during her chronic liver disease (post acute
stage) when her appetite waned again, & I'd have to resort to feeding her
a/d &/or giving her cyproheptadine (Periactin) as an appetite stimulant.
The other cats, when they realized a/d was on Debbie's menu, would come
around begging for some, too - a small treat for them was okay, in case that
happens w/ Luna.

Cathy

Old February 20th 05, 04:02 PM
kitkat

Cathy Friedmann wrote:
"kitkat" wrote in message
om...

Phil P. wrote:

I wish I could be more helpful, but I don't really know what we're

dealing

with.

No no. You and everyone have been quite helpful.
Here is another question...I gave Jasper the first dose of prednisolone
last night. Over night, he left us what seems to be a VERY loose stool
in the litterbox. (diahrea?) Is this common? Could the pred be helping
his bowels get a-moving and thus the loose, but large bowel movement?

Pam

I don't know the answer to this question, since Debbie (my cat who took
Prednisone/Prednisolone) didn't experience this in regard to her initial
doses Pred. But did it do anything positive for his appetite?

I just tried feeding him some chicken to no avail. He has still been
vomiting too, though there is nothing in his system so its just a clear
liquid he is producing. He does however seem to have a little more
energy. He isnt quite as lethargic...he's been up and moving, etc.
Perhaps the appetite will come next. I just hope he can keep food down.

I can second the recommendation for Hill's Prescription a/d. It can be
force-fed via a syringe into the side of the mouth if needed - a very fine
texture, but Debbie liked it so much that she would often lick it right off
a spoon.

Is the Hill's Prescription something I can only get from the vet? I'm
planning to make a run to the pet store today for some kitten food and
nutri cal if they have it. I'd like to get the Hills too.

Pam
Old February 20th 05, 04:06 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"kitkat" wrote in message
Cathy Friedmann wrote:
"kitkat" wrote in message
om...

Phil P. wrote:

[...]

Yes, the Prescription Diet foods - including cans of a/d - are available
only from the vet. In the meantime, the Nutrical can't hurt. Did you try
baby food w/ him?

Cathy

Old February 20th 05, 04:17 PM
kitkat

Cathy Friedmann wrote:
"kitkat" wrote in message

Cathy Friedmann wrote:

"kitkat" wrote in message
y.com...

Phil P. wrote:

[...]

Baby food? No. I was going to go out for some kitten food today. Baby
food is okay, too? Any particular kind?

Cat info? Benjamin P. Cat community 5 June 11th 04 11:50 AM
Cats: Not Just For Target Practice Anymore James Marz Cat health & behaviour 6 May 29th 04 09:15 PM
Opinions on fatty liver/possible pancreatitis problem Underwood Cat health & behaviour 80 April 10th 04 03:57 AM
Need info about spaying please Kim Cat health & behaviour 30 January 6th 04 02:58 AM
cats w/heart mumors need info plz Angela Green Cats - misc 1 July 10th 03 11:10 AM