Help me avoid declawing my cat, please

Old August 19th 06, 07:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Jeffrey Kaplan

Default Help me avoid declawing my cat, please

While my year-and-a-half neutered female tabby "Delany" no longer claws
me, she's clawing everything else. She's destroyed the paint on my
banisters, she's tearing up my couch, she's tearing up several spots of
my carpets, and she's torn holes in three of my screens (two windows,
one door) big enough to let the mosquitoes and other small flyers in.

I really don't want to get her declawed, I think it's mutilation. But
I'm rapidly running out of ideas. Water sprays get her to stop "now",
but 30 seconds later she's right back at it, plus requires that I'm
there to see her claw it. Every spray thing I've tried only worked for
a few days at most, and then only on fabric items meaning not my
banisters nor screens. Tape doesn't stick, and nothing works to keep
her off the screens: sprays go right through and if I put the tape
stuff on, I may as well just leave the window or door closed.

Help, please.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"So I don't know where he [Osama bin Laden] is. You know, I just don't
spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you...I truly am
not that concerned about him." - George W. Bush
Old August 19th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
The Polish-Kraut

While my year-and-a-half neutered female tabby "Delany" no longer claws
me, she's clawing everything else. She's destroyed the paint on my
banisters, she's tearing up my couch, she's tearing up several spots of
my carpets, and she's torn holes in three of my screens (two windows,
one door) big enough to let the mosquitoes and other small flyers in.

I really don't want to get her declawed, I think it's mutilation.

Here we go again !!!! Another declawing debate is about to begin!!!

My furbabies (Who all have their claws)

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Old August 19th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Veloise

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
[...]

Get her a scratching post. And a rug (some prefer a horizontal
surface).

Trim her nails (this is good fun quality time).

HTH

--Karen D.

Old August 19th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Catlover Medway via CatKB.com

http://www.fabcats.org/scratching.html
http://www.fabcats.org/scratching_article.html

Old August 19th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
The Polish-Kraut

[...]

I remember those good fun quality FUN times when mine were getting
used to having their nails clipped and still have a few scratch scars
to show for it!!

Even though they are used to getting them clipped on a monthly basis
now they still howl but they will put up with getting it done. I
usually save Sam until last because he likes to attack the clippers
which I will throw on the floor as kind of my way to tell them "See I
am done. Here are the clippers".

It is funny but even the ones that do not get along great come running
when the others howl to make sure they are not getting hurt but they
make sure to stay where they can duck into hiding if I come after
them. It usually takes a couple days to do all because once they see
what I am doing they try to avoid me so I get them when they let their
guard down.

My furbabies (all with claws)

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Old August 19th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that Veloise claimed:

Get her a scratching post. And a rug (some prefer a horizontal
surface).

She has three. A slanted, corrugated cardboard one, a small "cat tree"
with sisal rope and three levels of carpeted ledged, and a small sisal
post on the stair landing near the banister post she most likes to
destroy. (That scratching post was added last.)

Trim her nails (this is good fun quality time).

She doesn't like to be held that long. I can barely keep her still
long enough to brush her coat.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #123.
If I decide to hold a contest of skill open to the general public,
contestants will be required to remove their hooded cloaks and shave
their beards before entering.
Old August 19th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that The Polish-Kraut claimed:

While my year-and-a-half neutered female tabby "Delany" no longer claws
me, she's clawing everything else. She's destroyed the paint on my
banisters, she's tearing up my couch, she's tearing up several spots of
my carpets, and she's torn holes in three of my screens (two windows,
one door) big enough to let the mosquitoes and other small flyers in.

I really don't want to get her declawed, I think it's mutilation.

Here we go again !!!! Another declawing debate is about to begin!!!

If there is, remember that I'm trying to AVOID getting that done to my
cat. But OTOH it will cost thousands of dollars to replace the
carpeting in my home; wall-to-wall everywhere except the kitchen/dining
and bathrooms.

Old August 19th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
The Polish-Kraut

Trim her nails (this is good fun quality time).

She doesn't like to be held that long. I can barely keep her still
long enough to brush her coat.

Mine were a holy terror when I first started doing their nails but now
are pretty much resigned to it even through they do not like it and
yell to high heaven. Just make sure you have a good hold on them and
no matter what they do do not give in to them!! Once they learn they
will get their way doing something that is it. Just like a spoiled
kid they will keep doing it!!

I was going to trim my ex's cat's nail and as soon as they started
meowing and getting nuts she got all excited and did not want to do it
which was the wrong thing to do.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Old August 20th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
AZ Nomad

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:20:59 -0400, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

It is alleged that The Polish-Kraut claimed:

While my year-and-a-half neutered female tabby "Delany" no longer claws
me, she's clawing everything else. She's destroyed the paint on my
banisters, she's tearing up my couch, she's tearing up several spots of
my carpets, and she's torn holes in three of my screens (two windows,
one door) big enough to let the mosquitoes and other small flyers in.

I really don't want to get her declawed, I think it's mutilation.

Here we go again !!!! Another declawing debate is about to begin!!!

If there is, remember that I'm trying to AVOID getting that done to my
cat. But OTOH it will cost thousands of dollars to replace the
carpeting in my home; wall-to-wall everywhere except the kitchen/dining
and bathrooms.

Buy a scratching post and take a valium.

Old August 20th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that Veloise claimed:

Trim her nails (this is good fun quality time).

I'll give this another go. Probably front paws only, at least to
start, as she really does not like it.

Thank you.
--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I could take over the universe with this army if I could ever get all their weapons pointed in the same direction." (Adm. Aral Vorkosigan [Lois McMaster Bujold, "Shards of Honor"])