HELP

Old September 27th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

Default HELP

I have just brought home a blue tick hound that someone dumped a week ago at
the rest area. The kids that work there are, retarded for the most part.
By the time I got there, the dog was so hipper. I got her to the TED and
she is not chipped. He was too busy to mess with her today so wouldn't give
me anything to settle her. Is there anything I can get over the counter to
maybe help calm her?

Old September 27th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Daniel Mahoney

In article ,
"Granby" wrote:

I have just brought home a blue tick hound that someone dumped a week ago at
the rest area. The kids that work there are, retarded for the most part.
By the time I got there, the dog was so hipper. I got her to the TED and
she is not chipped. He was too busy to mess with her today so wouldn't give
me anything to settle her. Is there anything I can get over the counter to
maybe help calm her?

It won't help any this weekend, but Rescue Remedy seems to work for
that. Petsmart has their own house-brand version of the same product
that should work as well. The drawback is that you would have to order
it and have it shipped, unless you plan to travel to a town big enough
to have a Petsmart or a Petco.

I'll do some research to see if I can find any notes on herbal remedies
that are supposed to safely calm hyper dogs.

Blue tick hounds are beautiful! Would it be safe to assume that you have
just acquired a new canine owner?
Old September 27th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Daniel Mahoney

In article ,
"Granby" wrote:

I have just brought home a blue tick hound that someone dumped a week ago at
the rest area. The kids that work there are, retarded for the most part.
By the time I got there, the dog was so hipper. I got her to the TED and
she is not chipped. He was too busy to mess with her today so wouldn't give
me anything to settle her. Is there anything I can get over the counter to
maybe help calm her?

http://pets.yahoo.com/blog/cesarmill...m-a-hyper-dog/ has
some tips.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...wer/page1.aspx talks
about using valerian root to calm dogs.

http://takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/ask_experts/dog_anxiety recommends
valerian root using approx one capsule per 40 pounds of body weight.
Old September 27th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

Thanks Dan, the kids are on the way to Terre Haute and Pet NOW.

She is beautiful and YES, if I can calm her down and she and the cats can
figure out a way to co exist, she can stay.

Got her enclosed on the front porch and just took out a bath towel and she
is laying on that.

PLEASE, lots of calming purrs for her. This looks like a two glasses of
wine day for me!!!!

Old September 27th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Lucy[_3_]

Purrs coming from us! I have been frantic trying to take care of these
kittens, and you just gave me an excellent idea about how to cope! Ha!

Julie

Old September 27th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

Which, the feline stuff or the wine. I just came in to check email. She
has been asleep all this time.

Old September 27th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Will in New Haven

On Sep 27, 3:56 pm, "Granby" wrote:
Which, the feline stuff or the wine. I just came in to check email. She
has been asleep all this time."

That sounds good. Sleep is a calming factor and the fact that she
_can_ sleep is a good sign. Put a sign up that says "cats are _not
raccoons" and she should do fine.

--
Will in New Haven

Old September 27th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

Will do. They got something called "Calm Down at Petsmart and, she just
drank the water with it in it. She has slept all afternoon but gets upset
when awake if any cars go by.

Old September 27th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
John Ross Mc Master

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 12:20:14 -0500, "Granby" wrote:

I have just brought home a blue tick hound that someone dumped a week ago at
the rest area. The kids that work there are, retarded for the most part.
By the time I got there, the dog was so hipper. I got her to the TED and
she is not chipped. He was too busy to mess with her today so wouldn't give
me anything to settle her. Is there anything I can get over the counter to
maybe help calm her?

Purrs frum me! I has only seed one d*g in my life and I ran away
butted if you says she shud be helpud, OK.
Cinder

Good luck!
John
Old September 27th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Samuel Redcat Mahoney

In article ,
"Granby" wrote:

Will do. They got something called "Calm Down at Petsmart and, she just
drank the water with it in it. She has slept all afternoon but gets upset
when awake if any cars go by.

Mine Unka Pat was adopted a while ago by a outside kitty named Mr.
Gruft. Mr. Gruft tells me dat when da Coonhound mine Grandmeowmie was
'dopted by comes over to his house she plays wif him. Pearl an Mr. Gruft
got started playin, an now dat dey has been playin Unka Pat's googie
comes out an plays wif dem too. So hafin a Coonhound around da howse can
be a good fing fur kitties.

It's a lot of work for kitties to train a Coonhound properly, but Mr.
Gruft says it's worf da effort.

Sammy