How Ryan got his name

Old December 5th 04, 04:18 AM
Fred

Default How Ryan got his name

Hihi Kitties,
I am Ryan, newly of the house of Williams and I put up some photos
of mineownself showing off some of my skills, which prompted my
Hooman to give me da nayme of Ryan. Prepare to be amayzed and
point your browsers to :
http://www3.sympatico.ca/fred.williams2/Web001.html
At first they thought I just was going after the flashing lights,
but I hav acktchewally come running in from the other ruum when I
heard a football, (soccer), game on the TV to play along. Today I
helped Manchester United beat Southampton.

--
Regards,
Fred
Old December 16th 04, 03:06 AM
ClowderCat

Fred wrote:
ClowderCat wrote:

Fred wrote:
ok Da sekretary is goin to mayk one rsponse here. Just fur
effichency.

We just figured out how to do that too!!!! We just started using
google for newsgroups.

Well whatewffer werks fur yu.

We had to start using google because we couldn't post from our other
newsgroup account!

Hi Ryan.

Thanks. Mom said that I'm handsome too!

And well she should!

That's what I think too. You're very handsome too. Do you have
any pictures of your face that we can see?

Uh jusrt a minut, I'll check... Hmmm hm hm Hmmmmmm, ...

Yeah, but
dey has to be scanned. I'll give da Sekratary da orders and maybe
by tomorrow we'll haf sumthin tu sho tu.

OK. We like looking at pictures of cats here!

I figure that you're kind of young and still learning things.

I guess, but I'ze already passin my Hooman on sum things,

like I
know when to wake him up in da mornin and I'ze as good as an alarm
clock, cuz I get the right time effurry day and I won't let him get
away wif any offer sleepin. Clowder is sumthin neither me nor my
secretary had herd of befur.

Clowder is a really old word. It isn't in some dictionaries any more!

We're not allowed to get mom up in the morning. We sometimes even let
her sleep until 11 am on Saturday!

Mom uses the pictures screensaver that comes with windows XP
now!!! So we get to watch pictures of us and all of our friends!

Ooooo, my hooman dusn't like XP nor Micro$oft much. We runs

Linux
and luvs it.

Mom tried putting Linux on a computer one time and couldn't get it to
run. She had a dual OS and only Windows worked. She's rather not use
Micro$oft products, but she has to at work!

Do you think we should start a kitty football or soccer team?

Oh Clarence, It would be funfun, butid I don't know ifn

gots da
time, and ders dat Sekretary problem thingy, as usual. Ifn cats
aren't tuu strict about da attandance I might be able to
partissipayte

That's too bad. Human secretaries are so unreliable!!!! We use a
telepathic interface here because mom was censoring our email and
posts! Do you want me to install one on your computer?

Well,... I don't know. What would that mean fur us?

It would mean that your human wouldn't have to type for you and you
wouldn't have to worry about him spelling this right and stuff like
that!!!

Hey Ryan, why is your human signing your post????

Oh da dumb hooman furgot tu put my name on da post!!

Honestly good
help is so hard tu find these days! He'll get it right this tyme,
iff'n he knows whats gudgud fur him.

We've noticed that it's hard for us kitties to find a good and reliable
secretary. They're too independent and stubborn! I notice that he got
it right this time!
--
Regards,
Ryan and his Hooman, Fred frum Catnada

Clarence

Old December 16th 04, 05:21 AM
Dan M

Hooman note:
With Ryan's permission, I just want to mention that I'm surprised
there is no GPS program under Linux that would interface with your
GPS directly. Which distribution of Linux do you have?
True, Wine is not exactly bug free,(;-)) yet.
I'm looking around for a new distro myself.

There might be - I haven't had much time to go searching recently. I
know that a lot of sources offer map files (mostly cleaned-up Tiger-line
files), so it would make sense for someone to make a GPS program
available that would make use of them. Next time I get home (Christmas)
I'll see what I can find.

Here in the truck I'm running Fedora Core 2 - I want to get familiar
with the SELinux enhancements. At home I still run RedHat 8. Though I do
occasionally boot into FreeBSD.

Dan
Old December 17th 04, 01:49 PM
Fred

ClowderCat wrote:

Clowder is a really old word. It isn't in some dictionaries any
more!

I believe "maulkin" is an old word for "cat," while we're on the
subject.

We're not allowed to get mom up in the morning. We sometimes even
let her sleep until 11 am on Saturday!

Oh. You're very liberal with your hooman. We get fed first thing
in da mornin, so it's furry impiortant tu us to get him going.
Sometimes we lets him have a nap in da afternoon. We know how
important napping can be.

Ooooo, my hooman dusn't like XP nor Micro$oft much. We
runs

Linux
and luvs it.

Mom tried putting Linux on a computer one time and couldn't get it
run. She had a dual OS and only Windows worked. She's rather not
use Micro$oft products, but she has to at work!

Mmmmm. Sum hardware companies are linked to M$ and have
proprietary drivers so they don't allow their drivers to be run on
Linux, but gradually it's being changed.
You can get a Linux system for free, but not all of them.
Nevertheless, if you have a business and have to by dozens or
hundreds of software licecnces, a free version of Linux could save
a lot of tunas, and it's more reliable and definitely more secure.

That's too bad. Human secretaries are so unreliable!!!! We
use a telepathic interface here because mom was censoring our
email and
posts! Do you want me to install one on your computer?

Well,... I don't know. What would that mean fur us?

It would mean that your human wouldn't have to type for you and
you wouldn't have to worry about him spelling this right and stuff
like that!!!

I'ze not sure I want someone accessing my thoughts, effen somone as
reliable as anuffer kitty.

Regards,
Ryan and his hooman, Fred frum Catnada
[remove FFFf frum the email address to reply, if by email.]

Old December 18th 04, 12:00 AM
ClowderCat

Fred wrote:
ClowderCat wrote:

Clowder is a really old word. It isn't in some dictionaries any
more!

I believe "maulkin" is an old word for "cat," while we're on

the
subject.

Mom said it's possible but she hasn't heard it before!

We're not allowed to get mom up in the morning. We sometimes even
let her sleep until 11 am on Saturday!

Oh. You're very liberal with your hooman. We get fed first

thing
in da mornin, so it's furry impiortant tu us to get him going.
Sometimes we lets him have a nap in da afternoon. We know how
important napping can be.

We sometimes let mom nap during the day because we can nap with her.
For some reason mom refuses to feed us as soon as she gets out of bed.
She does other things first!

Ooooo, my hooman dusn't like XP nor Micro$oft much. We
runs

Linux
and luvs it.

Mom tried putting Linux on a computer one time and couldn't get it
run. She had a dual OS and only Windows worked. She's rather not
use Micro$oft products, but she has to at work!

Mmmmm. Sum hardware companies are linked to M$ and have
proprietary drivers so they don't allow their drivers to be run on
Linux, but gradually it's being changed.

We have a Micron computer here. And some of the drivers are on the
motherboard, like the sound driver!

You can get a Linux system for free, but not all of them.
Nevertheless, if you have a business and have to by dozens or
hundreds of software licecnces, a free version of Linux could save
a lot of tunas, and it's more reliable and definitely more secure.

Mom downloaded the Linux she installed. She said that she's surprised
that her employer is using Windows and MS Office!

That's too bad. Human secretaries are so unreliable!!!! We
use a telepathic interface here because mom was censoring our
email and
posts! Do you want me to install one on your computer?

Well,... I don't know. What would that mean fur us?

It would mean that your human wouldn't have to type for you and
you wouldn't have to worry about him spelling this right and stuff
like that!!!

I'ze not sure I want someone accessing my thoughts, effen

somone as
reliable as anuffer kitty.

Regards,
Ryan and his hooman, Fred frum Catnada
[remove FFFf frum the email address to reply, if by email.]

No other kitty would be accessing your thoughts with a telepathic
interface. You have to send your thought to it deliberately for it to
hear them. They also work for you to be able to sometimes hear your
human's thoughts if they're strong enough or have some keywords that
you program into the interface, like TED and clip claws and food!
BTW, do you live with other cats? Who are they if you do?

Clarence

Old December 18th 04, 04:40 AM
Anti Sandy

"ClowderCat" wrote in message
ups.com...

I believe "maulkin" is an old word for "cat," while we're on

the
subject.

Mom said it's possible but she hasn't heard it before!

Maybe that's why a traditional name for a (gray?) cat is Graymalkin
(pronounced GRIM-ul-kin).
--
Anti Sandy, word/language freak

Old December 18th 04, 05:22 AM
Fred

ClowderCat wrote:

Fred wrote:
ClowderCat wrote:

We're not allowed to get mom up in the morning. We sometimes
even let her sleep until 11 am on Saturday!

Oh. You're very liberal with your hooman. We get fed
first

thing
in da mornin, so it's furry impiortant tu us to get him going.
Sometimes we lets him have a nap in da afternoon. We know how
important napping can be.

We sometimes let mom nap during the day because we can nap with
her. For some reason mom refuses to feed us as soon as she gets
out of bed. She does other things first!

Your mom is pretty clever I think, but fortunately we has Fred well
trained! He lives alone and it's up to usses to keep him frum
kitten lazy. Fur instance, last night my cat meowmy had to get him
up and point out that the front of the piano was still off and
sittin on da flor uv da liffin ruum. He'd been tinkerin inside da
piano makin da strangest sounds all day and didn't seem furry happy
about it. We each has tried a couple uv notes ourownselves, but da
piano noise is just a lidle scary fur usses. Still we'z been
lookin at da top uv da piano fur days, wonderin ifn we could gwet
up der, but we hasn't jumped up yet, not knowin what we has to land
on when we gets ther. It's within our reach, of course, but we'z
careful. Diana, that's my cat meowmy, actually meowed and howled
at da bedruum dor at about 4 in da mornin until Fred gott up tu see
what was da matter. When she realized that he was going tu follow
her, she wented right tu da piano and jumped up onna bench and
looked worriedly at da kmissing front and walked back and forth.
It was out of place, and she didn'rt like it, naturally. She asked
him pouint blank, "Do you'z intend to leave it like that *all*
nite?!? Fred assured her he did, not unkindly, nd wented tu feed
Jetadiah, dat's our kitty in da OUT who usually feeds at da side
door. He's a tough kitty whose been around a lot and refuses to
come intu da IN. We touched noses a few times and he seems nice.
maybe you've met him here once or twice?

Ooooo, my hooman dusn't like XP nor Micro$oft much.
We runs
Linux
and luvs it.

Mom tried putting Linux on a computer one time and couldn't get
it to
run. She had a dual OS and only Windows worked. She's rather
not use Micro$oft products, but she has to at work!

Mmmmm. Sum hardware companies are linked to M$ and have
proprietary drivers so they don't allow their drivers to be run
on Linux, but gradually it's being changed.

We have a Micron computer here. And some of the drivers are on
the motherboard, like the sound driver!

Ah. My hooman knows something about this. It's the "chips" that
are on da motherboard. The "driver" fur each peripheral, like the
sound hardware, (chips), ... tha "driver" is the program that makes
the chips werk and it often comes off a CD ROM these days. Ifn a
sound chipset iz on yer motherboard, then there's probably a CD
that came wif it and wuz used to install the drivers fur the
computer. These used to be all Window$ drivers, butthese days sum
of the manufacturers, like nvidia which makes the "geforce cards"
and so on, they don't release their drivers tu the public an' so
Linux can't use them. Sum distributions uv Linux use generic
interfaces and get sum functionality, but not effurry thing the
hardware can do. So if'n it's a grphics kard, you might see da
screen OK, but not get all da resolution you could,... dat sort uv
thingy. Many peripheral manufacturers are makin their drivers
public these days, because thenumber uv Linux users are growin fast
and they wants to sell their hardware. Still M$ is big and
powerful still and they contrtol some other companies and they sort
uv hold the drivers back exceptin wif Window$ which is sort uv like
holdin da hardware hostage effen after yous buy it to get you ta
buy more and many hoomans feel this is not nice, effen fur hoomans,
and they say nasty things about Mrs. Gates liddle boy Billy. But I
digrress...

You can get a Linux system for free, but not all of them.
Nevertheless, if you have a business and have to by dozens or
hundreds of software licecnces, a free version of Linux could
save a lot of tunas, and it's more reliable and definitely more
secure.

Mom downloaded the Linux she installed. She said that she's
surprised that her employer is using Windows and MS Office!

There are everal Office Suites available on Linux and they're all
frfree. Open Office opens all uv those M$ Office files and werks
wif them, and I think da uffer ones do too. All da Officece
functions have equivalents in Linux and it's not hard to change.
Well, deependin where you're skill levels are at. Most hoomans get
by OK, ifn thaeyre at all used to puters.

--
Regards,
Ryan and Diana an' Jetadiah and their hooman, Fred frum Catnada.

Old December 19th 04, 06:15 PM
ClowderCat

[...]

You're really smart kitties. We found out a long time ago that mom's
untrainable. She refuses to do everything we tell her to do!

Did your human finally get the piano front on? They can take forever
to get things done sometimes.

I don't think we met Jetadiah or Diana yet. We used to come here a lot
and then mom quit letting us come. We're back now, hopefully
permanently.

I don't think you've met Chester and Nathan yet. They're cats and they
live with me and mom.

[...]

Mom knows about this stuff too, but we've been reading computer manuals
and using the computer when mom's not here so we know more than she
does.

There are everal Office Suites available on Linux and they're

all
frfree. Open Office opens all uv those M$ Office files and werks
wif them, and I think da uffer ones do too. All da Officece
functions have equivalents in Linux and it's not hard to change.
Well, deependin where you're skill levels are at. Most hoomans get
by OK, ifn thaeyre at all used to puters.

--
Regards,
Ryan and Diana an' Jetadiah and their hooman, Fred frum Catnada.
[remove FFFf frum our email address to reply, ifn by email.]

Mom has seen a couple of the Office Suites for Linux and has a copy of
Open Office for Windows. We've been using it to write our
autobiographies!

Clarence, with Chester and Nathan watching

Old December 20th 04, 04:29 AM
Fred

ClowderCat wrote:

You're really smart kitties. We found out a long time ago that
mom's
untrainable. She refuses to do everything we tell her to do!

We can gets away wif just about efferyfang. I'ze been trying tu
get Fred to allow me to use his shin as a skratchin post, but he
whines so pitifully I duzn't do it fur furry long. He let out a
real scream when I jumped to his rear end when he wuz at da kitchen
sink tonite. I guess I kind a surprized him. Who knew he was da
sensitive type?

Did your human finally get the piano front on? They can take
forever to get things done sometimes.

Yeah. It's back on and da piano sounds muchmuch better. Mum, (my
cat meowmie, Diana) singz along, but only wif da Brahms intermezzo.
Strange she duzn't seem to care as much fur Chopin or Debussey or
Bach. Da Brahms iz really beautiful harmony, maybee that'z got
sumthin ta du wif it.

I don't think we met Jetadiah or Diana yet. We used to come here
a lot
and then mom quit letting us come. We're back now, hopefully
permanently.

Jetadiah has been coming around fur years, but won't kom inta da
IN. Some years ago Fred built a box lined wif styryfome and
blankets and puted it under da werkshop where it's already warmer
then outside. Jetadiah goes in there when it's really cold. He
wuz caught once when his arthritis and the cold made hime limp on 3
legs, and Fred took him tu da vet fur a klean bill uv health and
shots and got fixed what wasn't broken.
Jet has grreat fur this time uv year. He can be out at 20 deg. F
and still be OK, cuz he dusn't effen bother to go to his box, but
when it gets really kold, (Fred has seen -41 here, pick either
scale), and Jetadiah comes out in da morning looking as happy as a
clam and also lookin fur brekfast. So da box werks fur him.

I don't think you've met Chester and Nathan yet. They're cats and
they live with me and mom.

Oh nice. Hihi to them as well.

Mom knows about this stuff too, but we've been reading computer
manuals and using the computer when mom's not here so we know more
than she does.

Smart Kitties you all are. Gudgud fur yu.

Mom has seen a couple of the Office Suites for Linux and has a
copy of
Open Office for Windows. We've been using it to write our
autobiographies!

Gud reading I'm sure. Will it be published sum day? Will we have
a chance to read it?

Clarence, with Chester and Nathan watching

--
Regards,
Ryan wif Diana, Jetadiah and their hooman, Fred.
[Remove FFFf frum our email address to reply, ifn by email].

Old December 20th 04, 05:06 AM
ClowderCat

Fred wrote:
ClowderCat wrote:

You're really smart kitties. We found out a long time ago that
mom's
untrainable. She refuses to do everything we tell her to do!

We can gets away wif just about efferyfang. I'ze been trying

tu
get Fred to allow me to use his shin as a skratchin post, but he
whines so pitifully I duzn't do it fur furry long. He let out a
real scream when I jumped to his rear end when he wuz at da kitchen
sink tonite. I guess I kind a surprized him. Who knew he was da
sensitive type?

All humans seem to be really sensitive to our claws. Mom keeps
clipping mine because I like to give her shoulder massages every night
and I like to include some acupuncture with it. She said the
acupuncture hurts her too much.

I tried to climb mom once when I was a baby and she didn't let me!

Did your human finally get the piano front on? They can take
forever to get things done sometimes.

Yeah. It's back on and da piano sounds muchmuch better.

Mum, (my
cat meowmie, Diana) singz along, but only wif da Brahms intermezzo.
Strange she duzn't seem to care as much fur Chopin or Debussey or
Bach. Da Brahms iz really beautiful harmony, maybee that'z got
sumthin ta du wif it.

We don't have a piano or any other musical instrument. And mom said
that she doesn't listen to much classical music. She also said that
the only musical instrument she knows how to play is the CD player!

[...]

He sounds like a real cool cat. And he's so lucky that he gets to be
out!

Where are you guys? It's so cold there! Are you at the North Pole?
If you are, do you ever see Santa Paws?

I don't think you've met Chester and Nathan yet. They're cats and
they live with me and mom.

Oh nice. Hihi to them as well.

Hi Ryan. You're a handsome cat! - Chester and Nathan

Mom knows about this stuff too, but we've been reading computer
manuals and using the computer when mom's not here so we know more
than she does.

Smart Kitties you all are. Gudgud fur yu.

Mom has seen a couple of the Office Suites for Linux and has a
copy of
Open Office for Windows. We've been using it to write our
autobiographies!

Gud reading I'm sure. Will it be published sum day? Will we

have
a chance to read it?

We don't know when we'll be finished with it. Most of it is still in
our heads because it takes so long to get the computer and software
running when mom isn't here to turn it on and we have to make sure that
it's off when she gets home from work. So, with naps, eating, watching
out the window and our other activities, we only have about an hour of
writing time every day! We also have to hide the files from mom so she
won't read them and change them.

We'll publish them when we get them finished, but we don't know when
that'll be.