Animal Control inspector seems obsessed with our shelter.

Old February 1st 05, 09:04 PM
veruca

Default Animal Control inspector seems obsessed with our shelter.

I work with a small, cats-only rescue group in North Texas. We have a
small shelter which is not purpose-built, so it isn't a perfect
shelter, but we pay daily cleaners and are fortunate enough to have
some truly compassionate volunteers caring for the occupants. We will
also be moving to better facilities in a few months.

During the 18 months the shelter has been open, we have been inspected
by the local SPCA and Humane Society, and passed both inspections
without a hitch. However, I should point out that we don't know why we
were singled out for inspection, except that the Humane Society
admitted that a passerby didn't recognize our facility for what it was
(we do not have signage; otherwise we'd have dozens of dumped animals
on the doorstep every morning). Like Child Protective Services,
complaints to the SPCA must be investigated without identifying the
complainant.

However, the city's Animal Control inspectors decided to look over the
shelter last month. Again, we don't know why, although we suspect an
ex-volunteer is responsible (she was extremely unreliable and we
gradually realized she had a drug problem, so she was asked to leave).

The animal control inspector has been to the shelter three times during
the last four weeks. Each visit lasted well over an hour, and the
animal control veterinarian accompanied him during the last visit. We
have produced medical records for the last two years, including proof
that every cat in the shelter has been "combo tested" for FIV and
feline leukemia. However, we have not received any sort of report,
citation, and/or feedback. Nada.

Today, we received a phone call from the same inspector. Now he wants
to know the prognosis of two cats quarantined for URI during their last
visit, plus copies of ALL our rabies certificates, plus a lot of other
records - all produced by the end of the week.

We are beginning to feel this has gone on for too long. The SPCA and
Humane Society did thorough inspections with one visit - now Animal
Control is planning to visit a fourth time. Our Board of Directors is
considering hiring an attorney. Should we take any additional action -
or different action?

Old February 1st 05, 10:03 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

veruca wrote:

We are beginning to feel this has gone on for too long. The SPCA and
Humane Society did thorough inspections with one visit - now Animal
Control is planning to visit a fourth time. Our Board of Directors is
considering hiring an attorney. Should we take any additional action -
or different action?

I have no experience to offer, but I wonder if any of your Board knows
any local politicians who could make a phone call and rattle someone's
cage, if you'll forgive the metaphor. Are any of your supporters well
placed in the local community? While hiring an attorney might be the
way to go, a powerful person showing interest could make the
trouble-maker subside. Like with cats, if they know you're not
defenseless, they may treat you with more respect.

Good luck to you!

Priscilla
Old February 2nd 05, 01:41 AM
Linda=^..^=

Old February 2nd 05, 05:39 PM
Cat Protector

Did you supply this inspector with the reports from the SPCA and the Humane
Society? Have you also talked with this inspector's boss to find out what is
going on? Depending on where you live I would call your local representative
in the state legislature. Usually they can help put you in touch with
someone who can resolve matters like this. The State Attorney General might
also be able to help as well but they also might not be so willing to go
after another state agency. Your local city government might also be able to
help. It's a shame you are going through this but there are options in
fighting this issue as well.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
ps.com...

Old February 2nd 05, 05:42 PM
Cat Protector

One other option I forgot to mention is to open your shelter to local media.
You'd be surprised what a small story in the newspaper and TV can do.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

ps.com...

Old February 6th 05, 10:12 PM
Tabetha Orr via CatKB.com

I can understand your statement however maybe she was a drug user. Sound
like you are forming false opinions as well as the people who are doing the
harrasing. Maybe you and the inspectors can go into the harrasment
business together

Old February 7th 05, 05:35 PM
veruca

Here is some more background on the situation.

I am in the shelter on almost a daily basis, as I have a key to the
premises and have worked with the Board of Director volunteers for
about 10 years now (we were all initially with other local groups).
Also, I do all the records filing, so I know who is up-to-date on
vaccinations and who isn't - I flag the files of the cats who will need
a booster soon. Also, I file adoption contracts and do some of the
followup phone calls to adoptors.

The shelter's only paid staff are daily cleaners, so the place is
cleaner than the local animal control and SPCA facilities. It isn't
perfect - some areas are hard to clean as it is not a purpose-built
shelter. We will be moving to new premises soon as the ventilation
system doesn't match HSUS standards. Also, we tend to take cats other
rescuers won't take - black cats, older cats, and some "special needs"
cats.

The Humane Society was called in because our shelter is not labeled,
and a passerby wondered why they saw so many cats in one area (we had
moved a room's worth downstairs while we bleached their usual room).
The reason we have no signage is that people will start dumping animals
on your doorstep if you identify yourself as a shelter. As to the
SPCA, they regularly inspect all shelters. We have asked for a report
of last December's inspection, but the inspector has since left the
SPCA - also, they will only release the report to a member of our
Board. I am not on the Board.

As to our "drug user" volunteer, I was the one who identified her.
Personally, I don't care what people do at home but the manager of your
local Petsmart will not be impressed if your volunteers come in reeking
of pot and with eyes like dimes. We have to maintain good relations
with Petsmart, otherwise we lose a valuable adoption venue. We do most
of our adoptions at two local Petsmarts.

Lastly, in regard to my original posting: the folks at Animal Control
seem to have strangely lost all interest in us. Our calls to them have
not been answered in two weeks (they had mentioned wanting to see
medical records). The whole thing is a mystery, and will probably
remain one until they close their files (we can get a copy of the file
when it is closed).

In the meantime we have found an attorney who has offered to assist on
a pro bono basis, if and when he is needed.

Old February 7th 05, 06:01 PM
veruca

Well, if someone smells like pot and their eyes are dilated to the size
of dimes, they're probably smoking pot. And I am afraid I went to
college with too many amphetamine users; they're easy to spot.

I think you're better suited to the harassment business than I am.
Want me to send some job leads?

Old February 8th 05, 01:28 AM
veruca

OK,I excuse you from being among the naive volunteers. All this work
for
ten years and you aren't on the board? Let me guess. There is no
board,
or, if there is one, it amounts to a group of yes men who agree with
every decision made by an overpowering, steamroller of a director.

"I started this group and you are just here to ratify my decisions".
Been there, done that.

Actually so have I. This group's board is strictly hands-on. It's a
very small group. No yes-men - no men at all, actually. And I've never
wanted to be on a Board of Directors.

The shelter's only paid staff are daily cleaners, so the place is
cleaner than the local animal control and SPCA facilities. It isn't
perfect - some areas are hard to clean as it is not a purpose-built
shelter. We will be moving to new premises soon as the ventilation
system doesn't match HSUS standards. Also, we tend to take cats other
rescuers won't take - black cats, older cats, and some "special needs"

cats.

The Humane Society was called in because our shelter is not labeled,
and a passerby wondered why they saw so many cats in one area (we had
moved a room's worth downstairs while we bleached their usual room).

Last post you guessed that was why they were called in. You have no

way
of knowing. You said, "However, I should point out that we don't know

why we were singled out for inspection, except that the Humane
Society
admitted that a passerby didn't recognize our facility for what it
was"
A passerby didn't recognize that it was a shelter? What did they
notice?
Was it perhaps the smell that disturbed them?

No, it was about eight cats enjoying the sunshine on a window ledge.
The ground-floor windows don't open. But no authority who is called in
is allowed to give you names of those who report abuse, real or
imagined. It's a lot like Child Protective Services.

Also, the local Humane Society is not of the same status as the SPCA.
And it closed its doors last year, due to lack of funding and the death
of its founder.

The reason we have no signage is that people will start dumping

animals
on your doorstep if you identify yourself as a shelter. As to the
SPCA, they regularly inspect all shelters. We have asked for a report

of last December's inspection, but the inspector has since left the
SPCA - also, they will only release the report to a member of our
Board. I am not on the Board.

The SPCA, Humane Society, Animal Control have more important things

do than hassle good shelters.

That's what I thought - until recently. Our city is especially guilty
of poorly funding Animal Control and the SPCA. The local Animal Control
facilities are grotesque. I literally cannot go there to pull animals
any more, as I couldn't stand the fact that I had to leave so many to
die in such miserable conditions.

Even the half-way good are usually
acceptable. When AC comes back for the third time with their vet in
tow
to examine conditions you better be thinking of covering your own
a... .
I'd be glad, very glad, I wasn't on that board.

Animal Control has already been back with their vet in tow. That was
during Visit #3. She was actually the nicest one of the bunch,
although she seemed to know less about feline leukemia than we did.
(She'd never heard of immunoregulin, for example - one of my feleuk
positives had the treatment and is about to celebrate her third
birthday.) That's why the latest request for vet records - which have
been available for inspection during every visit - was, and is,
strange.

As to our "drug user" volunteer, I was the one who identified her.
Personally, I don't care what people do at home but the manager of

your
local Petsmart will not be impressed if your volunteers come in

reeking
of pot and with eyes like dimes. We have to maintain good relations
with Petsmart, otherwise we lose a valuable adoption venue. We do

most
of our adoptions at two local Petsmarts.

Most stores wouldn't recognize volunteers, much less be impressed by
them.

Not at our Petsmarts, especially since last year. One of them is
ex-military and I'm pretty sure he also smelled Miss Doper, too. I
wasn't the only one. (Plus, the fact that it was taking her 15 minutes
to set up a single cage was a giveaway.)

Over the years, Petsmart managers have become much more involved with
the rescue groups. This is a corporate incentive - managers can now be
"written up" if the adoption centers aren't well-maintained. And both
Petsmart managers insisted on visiting our shelter before we were
allowed to do adoptions at their stores.

What they do recognize is sick cats with diarrhea, upper
respiratory, ringworm, and just plain filthy animals who are left at
the
adoption center by many groups. If volunteers bring sick animals or
don't show up to clean cages, your group is out of there.

True. (Hey, you got ONE thing right.)

Lastly, in regard to my original posting: the folks at Animal Control

seem to have strangely lost all interest in us. Our calls to them

have
not been answered in two weeks (they had mentioned wanting to see
medical records). The whole thing is a mystery, and will probably
remain one until they close their files (we can get a copy of the file

when it is closed).

In the meantime we have found an attorney who has offered to assist on

a pro bono basis, if and when he is needed.

Good, you may need him.

Look, I know what a bind volunteers can be in. If they complain, then
the shelter may be shut down and what is going to happen to those
cats?
Some may be euthanized if other groups can't take them.

Considering that kitten season is just around the corner, I think that
most, if not all, cats/kittens from ANY shelter would be euthanized if
they were suddenly shut down - not just "some" as you say.

If the volunteer
doesn't blow the whistle, conditions continue to get worse. More and
more animals keep coming in. I've seen it happen in my city as well.

Did you miss the part where I mentioned that I'm the lucky volunteer
who maintains the medical records and adoption files?

Are you in touch with other volunteer groups who will support you?
Every city has a network of rescue people.

Most other local groups have only wanted to dump "special needs" cats
on us. Only two have ever actually helped us out to any significant
extent. This is another reason I have no desire to be on a Board of
Directors. It's a sad truth that a fair percentage of people in animal
rescue are doing it to deify themselves. The animals come in a poor
second with these jerks.

The rescue people I know work closely with animal control. AC emails
rescue groups to notify of animals scheduled to be euthanized. Rescue
people visit the shelters and try to pull animals that can be saved.

We only have one volunteer who pulls from shelters, as we are a small
group. We also take cats and kittens that have been dumped at the vets
we use, and in front of Petsmart before they open.

The
idea that they are hassling your group for no reason just does not
ring
true to me.

It doesn't ring true to me either, hence my initial posting. Too bad
you decided it was your job to insinuate that we deserved it.

I can see why you choose not to archive your posts; it's like shooting
yourself in the foot and then hurriedly putting your shoe back on
before too many people notice.

Old February 9th 05, 02:50 AM
BarB

On 7 Feb 2005 16:28:30 -0800, "veruca" wrote:

I can see why you choose not to archive your posts; it's like shooting
yourself in the foot and then hurriedly putting your shoe back on
before too many people notice.

Yes I choose to keep my posts out of Google. I prefer not to have the
organization I work for responsible for my posts.( Of course they can
be quoted.) You undoubtedly could find out my last name, city and
organization if you tried hard enough, although I seldom post. I just
couldn't stand to see good people in AC maligned.

Outing people Veruca? I wouldn't even start down that road if I were
you.

Mary