A new method of feeding pills to cats?

Old January 20th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default A new method of feeding pills to cats?

My trick is simple: I dip the pill and my fingers in cooking oil
before medicating the cat.

This achieves two things:

1. the oily pill goes down the throat fast and does not
get stuck on the tongue

2. the cat's muzzle gets oily from my fingers and he starts licking his
chops right away, and that prevents him from spitting the pill out.

Is this a novel trick?

Old January 21st 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

223rem wrote:

My trick is simple: I dip the pill and my fingers in cooking oil
before medicating the cat.

This achieves two things:

1. the oily pill goes down the throat fast and does not
get stuck on the tongue

2. the cat's muzzle gets oily from my fingers and he starts licking his
chops right away, and that prevents him from spitting the pill out.

Is this a novel trick?

That sounds like a great trick. I think I heard something similar
about using butter somewhere.

Betty gets anti-nausea pills, which need to be given in quarters.
This is convenient because that makes a dose small enough that I can
hide it in a bit of food. I cut about a cubic centimeter off a
chicken nugget, poke a hole in it with a fork, then stick the pill in
the nugget and feed it to Betty.

Old January 22nd 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

223rem wrote:
My trick is simple: I dip the pill and my fingers in cooking oil
before medicating the cat.

This achieves two things:

1. the oily pill goes down the throat fast and does not
get stuck on the tongue

2. the cat's muzzle gets oily from my fingers and he starts licking
his chops right away, and that prevents him from spitting the pill
out.

Is this a novel trick?

Essentially the trick to pill a cat is to put the pill in the throat and
then blow on its nose. This makes the cat swallow.

Jill