Bengal Cats:are they hybrids or are they true domestic cats?

Old February 24th 05, 05:52 AM

Default Bengal Cats:are they hybrids or are they true domestic cats?

Please help me. From reviewing the various websites online regarding
this
breed I have having trouble understanding one thing.

Is this an actual hybrid between a domestic cat and a wild cat of some
sort.

How do Bengals differ from other domestic breeds?

Old February 24th 05, 06:01 AM
Cat Protector

Bengals are supposedly a cross between an Asian Leopard and a domestic cat.
According to one Site I found they are more like domestic cats than those of
their wild cousins. Of course all cats are wild as they are predators and
also have natural hunting instincts. While humans may call them domesticated
because they live amongst humans you can also look at them and say they are
intelligent and beautiful creatures which have many of the instincts that
cats in the wild do.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
ps.com...

Old February 24th 05, 06:22 AM
Troy Mangum

Cat Protector wrote:
Bengals are supposedly a cross between an Asian Leopard and a

domestic cat.
According to one Site I found they are more like domestic cats than

those of
their wild cousins. Of course all cats are wild as they are predators

and
also have natural hunting instincts. While humans may call them

domesticated
because they live amongst humans you can also look at them and say

they are
intelligent and beautiful creatures which have many of the instincts

that
cats in the wild do.

Would you consider the Bengals to be somewhat analogous to the wolf x
dog hybridization popular among some canine enthusiasts?

My (probably naive) impression is that the wolf-hybrids are far more
wolf-like than the Bengals are "Leapard"-like.

Old February 24th 05, 06:58 AM
Laura K

"Troy Mangum" wrote in
oups.com:

Would you consider the Bengals to be somewhat analogous to the wolf x
dog hybridization popular among some canine enthusiasts?

My (probably naive) impression is that the wolf-hybrids are far more
wolf-like than the Bengals are "Leapard"-like.

The explanation of the origin on the Bengal Cat Society page seems the best.
http://www.tibcs.com/aboutbengals/bengal.php
The wild origin is a small spotted wild cat. The Bengal Cats offered as pets
are several generations removed from that origin.

Old February 24th 05, 07:05 AM
Troy Mangum

x-no-archive: yes
Laura K wrote:
"Troy Mangum" wrote in
oups.com:

Would you consider the Bengals to be somewhat analogous to the wolf

dog hybridization popular among some canine enthusiasts?

My (probably naive) impression is that the wolf-hybrids are far

more
wolf-like than the Bengals are "Leapard"-like.

The explanation of the origin on the Bengal Cat Society page seems

the best.
http://www.tibcs.com/aboutbengals/bengal.php
The wild origin is a small spotted wild cat. The Bengal Cats offered

as pets
are several generations removed from that origin.

Thanks for the link.

Do you happen to know if they are they recognized by The International
Cat Association or any other breed registration orgs?

Old March 7th 05, 08:48 AM
Brian Link

On 23 Feb 2005 21:22:31 -0800, "Troy Mangum"
wrote:

Cat Protector wrote:
[...]

Our little Bengal is a wonderful animal.

He's very like a domestic cat: loving to humans, playful, happy around
his adopted older brother.

Yet there are so many precious differences. His personality is just
slightly different than a house-cat.. hard to describe, but he is a
predator living with humans, a jungle cat living inside during a
Minnesota winter. He NEEDS to be up high, and in any room will be
scanning for and attempting the highest spot available.

He smells different - more of a musky ferret-smell than that of a DSH.
He moves differently - slinking, head and tail low, seemingly with
extra vertebrae that make him rather snake-like.

Obviously, if you've seen pictures or visited a Bengal, he is quite
beautiful in a distinctive way. The ticked coat, so un-housecat-like,
is like shimmering gold. And those spots..

The voice is unique - as expressive as a siamese but in a completely
different dialect. It's hard to believe a 9 lb cat can make as much
noise as Louis does - if I come home after a longer absence I can hear
him from the street.

Louis is absolutely a domesticated cat. Adopted as a kitten, he's
formed a beautiful bond with our mutt, 10 years his senior. He
interacts with us as equals.

But he's not a lap-cat. Though I've heard that other Bengals will
cuddle easily, so this may be a feature of his own personality.

The most remarkable yet frustrating trait he exhibits is his feral
intent on slaying our new adoptee, twice his size. Perhaps this is
typical cat-socializing, but I've never seen it personally.

After 15 years of adopting strays, when Tiger's last companion died,
we knew we needed a playful friend, and felt we had a karmic
dispensation to consider a purebred. Bengals are reknowned for their
energy and playfulness. It was a good choice.

Louis has fit the bill to a "T".

Oh, and if you've never had a cat hop in the shower or bath with you,
you're missing a rare and precious irritation. =)

BLink
Old March 7th 05, 03:33 PM