Note to Self: Cats Neutered Really Early still spray

Old January 11th 05, 04:21 AM
Brian Link

Default Note to Self: Cats Neutered Really Early still spray

Louis is a 2yr old Bengal. His breeders, in a fashion which is
becoming more acceptable AFAIK, neutered him at an early age (six
weeks? can't recall exactly).

We've had the stray Henry in our house, in a holding pattern while
trying to figure out how to integrate him into the household, for
about four months.

Out of the blue, Louis has started spraying our front closet door.

It's marking behavior since the spray hits the door, and isn't a
puddle on the floor.

Maybe it's his wild ancestry. Maybe it's a latent provocation from
Henry (who as far as we can tell has not sprayed inside our house).
But the idea that cats neutered after they've matured will more likely
spray seems to be false.

---Henry rant----
My god Henry's cute. Sure, he can't clean his butt properly because
he's become so fat, but he is the most affectionate and sweet cat I've
ever bumped into. His face is Garfield's "Nerml" face.

At least until he sees one of the other cats. *sigh*
---End rant----

BLink
Old January 11th 05, 04:39 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-11, Brian Link penned:
Louis is a 2yr old Bengal. His breeders, in a fashion which is becoming more
acceptable AFAIK, neutered him at an early age (six weeks? can't recall
exactly).

We've had the stray Henry in our house, in a holding pattern while trying to
figure out how to integrate him into the household, for about four months.

Out of the blue, Louis has started spraying our front closet door.

It's marking behavior since the spray hits the door, and isn't a puddle on
the floor.

Maybe it's his wild ancestry. Maybe it's a latent provocation from Henry
(who as far as we can tell has not sprayed inside our house). But the idea
that cats neutered after they've matured will more likely spray seems to be
false.

Whoa, whoa.

*In general*, cats neutered before they've started puberty will be less likely
to spray than those who aren't. That doesn't mean it's guaranteed to work on
your cat.

I'm sorry you're having this problem. I haven't had to deal with it, and I
suspect I would be quite frustrated.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 11th 05, 01:38 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Brian Link at
wrote on 1/10/05 10:57 PM:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:10:09 -0600, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article
, Brian Link at
wrote on 1/10/05 9:21 PM:

[...]

Since he marks one particular spot, have you tried a bottle of Feliway?
www.feliway.com.

Yes, Feliway seems pretty much ineffective. I've also tried catnip,
and soon we'll be trying tinfoil.

Recommendationas for cat-marking eradicators would be helpful ... =)

BLink

I wonder if he needs some extra attention? You do mention how adorable Henry
is so maybe Louie is feeling that?