Another Reason for Indoor Cats

Old October 4th 14, 11:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Another Reason for Indoor Cats

Sorry, not trying to dredge up the age old debate again but I've just
discovered another reason for keeping cats indoors in South Carolina,
USA. Coyotes!

I always thought of coyotes as being a "western" US critter. Apparently
they have migrated:

http://www.thestate.com/2014/09/29/3...d-to.html?rh=1

A rabid coyote bit a person in Okatie, SC on September 29th. They are
as big as, and often mistaken for, German Shepherds. The coyote tested
positive for rabies. The person is undergoing treatment. (Another
reason to keep cats - and dogs - indoors... rabies.)

Until I saw the headline in a [different] local newspaper I had no idea
there were coyotes in South Carolina.

Jill
Old October 4th 14, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
Sorry, not trying to dredge up the age old debate again but I've just
discovered another reason for keeping cats indoors in South Carolina,
USA. Coyotes!

I always thought of coyotes as being a "western" US critter. Apparently
they have migrated:

http://www.thestate.com/2014/09/29/3...d-to.html?rh=1

A rabid coyote bit a person in Okatie, SC on September 29th. They are
as big as, and often mistaken for, German Shepherds. The coyote tested
positive for rabies. The person is undergoing treatment. (Another
reason to keep cats - and dogs - indoors... rabies.)

Until I saw the headline in a [different] local newspaper I had no idea
there were coyotes in South Carolina.

Jill

Wow! I didn't think coyotes were that big. It is indeed a consideration
when you have pets.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

~~~~~~
We have coyotes (common) and wolves (rare) in East Texas, where I live.
People who leave their pets out at night often lose them to coyotes.
Fortunately, I don't think you have that type of predator. We also have
foxes (as do you), but they are much smaller.

MaryL

Old October 4th 14, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla=^..^=[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

All we have here, near Seattle Washington, USA, are Raccoons and Possums,
moles, (which are getting their home destroyed by the water diggers.)

Last time they worked on the water, some idiot worker(s) cut the cable line,
so NO TV, internet nor phone service for nearly 12 hours. Our back yard
looks like crap, with rocks, dirt, holes, trash (they're gonna hear about
THAT from me) .
They start at 7:30 am and work till about 4 pm. On Monday, our entrance to
the mobile home park will be blocked because they are using a back hoe to
dig up the street. They promise to have it filled back in each night.
A 4 month project is predicted.
Oh wonderful..NOT:/
Oh, someone has managed to put 4 nails into the driver's side rear wheel of
my DH's car
We have NO enemies who live HERE, so we have NO clue who the culprit(s) is/
are.
DH ordered a light and a motion detector .

We keep our 4 cats indoors ALL of the time, except for the 'occasionally'
escaping Mosey.

Our neighbor Andy let's his 11 year old cat Brutus stay out at night, except
when it gets cold and Andy lets Brutus stay in his mobile home, and then he
lets Brutus out again when Andy goes to work.

Thank you for your post, about the coyotes, Jill
I've heard them howl, and it gives me a chill.

Kyla

Old October 4th 14, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Judith Latham wrote:

Wow! I didn't think coyotes were that big. It is indeed a consideration
when you have pets.

Judith

Especially when they don't confine themselves to areas where you'd
expect them. When I lived in Glendale, California, my next-door
neighbor worked the early shift at a commercial bakery (in an industrial
area of the city) and he frequently saw coyotes on his way to work.
It's true we were reasonably near a mountainous park, but they were
still a fair distance from their home territory!
Old October 4th 14, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Mary, I was trying to follow up with a reply to you, unfortunately when
you reply underneath a signature line it grays out and Thunderbird
deletes your reply right along with the sig line (per my settings). You
might consider deleting sig lines before you reply.

Not all coyotes get as big as German Shepards but some do. As for our
foxes in the US, yes, they're small.

Years ago there was a field with a small copse of woods on the other
side of the parking lot of the building where I worked. A mama fox and
her two kits used to run around and play in that field; and I guess they
had a den in the woods. (This was right smack in the middle of a
business complex in east Memphis, IOW *in* the city!) They were so cute!

The man who ran our mail room was trying to find an animal rescue
organization to trap and relocate them because some people were
complaining. They were afraid of the foxes. They were so tiny, I just
had to shake my head at anyone being afraid of them. (Of course, they
can carry rabies, too, but the idea of someone being afraid of the tiny
red foxes was just odd to me.) It was a moot point. It didn't take
long before some developer razed the lot and the trees to put up yet
another office building.

Jill
Old October 4th 14, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/4/2014 10:29 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Did you look at the picture in the link? Not the same coyote, mind you,
but it's pretty darn big!

Jill
Old October 4th 14, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 10/4/2014 11:36 AM, MaryL wrote:

Mary, I was trying to follow up with a reply to you, unfortunately when
you reply underneath a signature line it grays out and Thunderbird
deletes your reply right along with the sig line (per my settings). You
might consider deleting sig lines before you reply.

Jill

~~~~~~~~
Thanks, Jill. I must admit that I have been puzzled about where to start my
replies when someone used a sig line after the "--".

I'm still using Windows Live Mail, and I know it is a terrible program (and
annoying to me). People are probably tired of me saying that I would like
to use Thunderbird, and then coming up with the tired excuse that I still
haven't taken the time to learn how to use it. Perhaps your message will
serve to motivate me. )

MaryL

Old October 4th 14, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/4/2014 3:56 PM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 10/4/2014 11:36 AM, MaryL wrote:

Mary, I was trying to follow up with a reply to you, unfortunately when
you reply underneath a signature line it grays out and Thunderbird
deletes your reply right along with the sig line (per my settings). You
might consider deleting sig lines before you reply.

Jill

~~~~~~~~
Thanks, Jill. I must admit that I have been puzzled about where to
start my replies when someone used a sig line after the "--".

I'm still using Windows Live Mail, and I know it is a terrible program
(and annoying to me). People are probably tired of me saying that I
would like to use Thunderbird, and then coming up with the tired excuse
that I still haven't taken the time to learn how to use it. Perhaps
your message will serve to motivate me. )

MaryL

Hey, I'm not trying to get you to change. It took a while for me to get
used to Thunderbird. Just delete anything from the "--" down and reply
to the post, not below the signature. That'll work.

Jill
Old October 4th 14, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks! I really do want to change, though. One annoyance is that WLM will
not insert markers to show old text.

MaryL

Old October 4th 14, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 10/4/2014 12:56 PM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 10/4/2014 11:36 AM, MaryL wrote:

Mary, I was trying to follow up with a reply to you, unfortunately when
you reply underneath a signature line it grays out and Thunderbird
deletes your reply right along with the sig line (per my settings). You
might consider deleting sig lines before you reply.

Jill

~~~~~~~~
Thanks, Jill. I must admit that I have been puzzled about where to
start my replies when someone used a sig line after the "--".

I'm still using Windows Live Mail, and I know it is a terrible program
(and annoying to me). People are probably tired of me saying that I
would like to use Thunderbird, and then coming up with the tired excuse
that I still haven't taken the time to learn how to use it. Perhaps
your message will serve to motivate me. )

MaryL

I've been using Thunderbird since I got this computer, and it drives me
crazy. Every time I open the program it takes forever downloading
messages, spam and who knows what else before I can even look at an
email or a newsgroup post. The spam does go into a separate folder
where I can delete it, but the time lag is really annoying. If I could
find another free program that supported newsgroups, I'd drop
Thunderbird in a minute.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited