Time to remove testes?

Old January 21st 05, 07:14 PM
Nell

Default Time to remove testes?

Hi,

My cats are five and a half months old and I have just felt discrete
testes the size of a small pip or a tiny pea inside their sacs. I know
some vets won't operate until cats are 7 months old and others are
willing to do it as early as 4, however, I am inclined to believe that
removing their testes too early does interfere with the whole chain of
hormonal reactions, involving a number of seperate organs, and, thereby,
the development of further organs and ducts, the diameter of the urinary
tract being one example.

Can anybody give me authoritative advice on this matter or refer me to
an authoritative source online?

Thanks.

Nell.

Old January 22nd 05, 09:39 PM
Phil P.

"Nell" wrote in message
Hi,

My cats are five and a half months old and I have just felt discrete
testes the size of a small pip or a tiny pea inside their sacs. I know
some vets won't operate until cats are 7 months old and others are
willing to do it as early as 4, however, I am inclined to believe that
removing their testes too early does interfere with the whole chain of
hormonal reactions, involving a number of seperate organs, and, thereby,
the development of further organs and ducts, the diameter of the urinary
tract being one example.

Outdated myth! So is "early age neutering stunts growth". In fact cats
neutered early (8-12 weeks) are often *taller* than cats neutered at 6-7
months. The sex hormones affect the distal radial growth plate closure at
the ends of the long bones. The earlier the hormones are removed, the longer
the bones grow..

There is also no difference in uretheral diameter or pressure between cats
neutered early and cats neutered at 6-7 months.

Most of the vets who oppose early age neutering haven't done it because of
their unfamiliarity with surgery and anesthesia on pediatric cats and dogs.
EAN wasn't taught in vet schools until fairly recently although its been
performed in cats and dogs for 30 years.

Early age neutering is *less* traumatic for cats with virtually no bleeding
and quick recovery times. These advantages are even more pronounced in
female kittens - who up and playing within minutes and eating within an hour
after surgery!

Can anybody give me authoritative advice on this matter or refer me to
an authoritative source online?

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

Google "early age neutering" and "prepubertal gonadectomy". You'll find
volumes of information --- and literally *no* adverse effects - providing
the vet follows well established protocols for surgery and anesthesia in
pediatric kittens.

Phil.

"I have found my love of cats most helpful
in understanding women'
--John Simon
Feline Healthca http://maxshouse.com

Old January 23rd 05, 05:34 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-22, Phil P. penned:

Outdated myth! So is "early age neutering stunts growth". In fact cats
neutered early (8-12 weeks) are often *taller* than cats neutered at 6-7
months. The sex hormones affect the distal radial growth plate closure at
the ends of the long bones. The earlier the hormones are removed, the longer
the bones grow..

Oooh, that jibes with what I learned about Castrati in that Ann Rice novel.
(Okay, yes, that's a pretty pathetic "factual reference," but she does seem to
do a lot of research for her historical novels.) According to her book,
castrati were unusually tall, with long arms and legs, for the same reason.
Makes sense.

I wonder if this is also the case in females. Different hormones, though I
know females produce some amount of testosterone too ... interesting subject!

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 23rd 05, 04:13 PM
Nell

Phil P. wrote:
http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

Thanks, Phil, for your advice, and especially for the reference above.
Very helpful.

I think I'll have their "pips" out this week.

Nell.

Old January 23rd 05, 07:35 PM
Phil P.

"Nell" wrote in message
Phil P. wrote:
http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

Thanks, Phil, for your advice, and especially for the reference above.
Very helpful.

I think I'll have their "pips" out this week.

Nell.

Smart play, Nell. The Humane Society of the United States, the American
Veterinary Medical Association, the Cat Fanciers Association, and many other
animal welfare organizations all agree with your decision.

Long time myths and mis- and outdated information are very difficult to
dispell. Its difficult to make a decision based on facts when its hard to
tell which are the facts and which are myths and misinformation.

I did a lot of research and actually watched several early age neuters
before I voted to approve the policy for my shelter. After witnessing the
ease and speed of the procedures and the kittens' rapid seemingly painless
recovery, and lack of any documented adverse effects, I voted a resounding
"Yes".

EAN is especially beneficial for young females because they have much less
abdominal fat and muscle. This results in much less tissue trauma, quicker
healing and much better visualization of the organs. In males, the
procedure is so quick and simple that sutures aren't required or even
necessary!

Also, you'll reduce the chances of him spraying later in life if he's
neutered before his instinct to spay kicks in. Once a cat develops a
spraying behavior its very difficult to resolve.

Rest assured that you're doing the best thing and the right thing for your
cat (and you).

Best of luck,

Phil.

"A kitten, in the animal kingdom,
is like a rosebud in a garden"
Feline Healthca http://maxshouse.com

Old January 24th 05, 09:00 PM
Nell

I think I'll have their "pips" out this week.

Phil P. wrote:
Smart play, Nell.

Thanks, Phil.

Rang the vet this afternoon. Was told to give them no food or drink
after 7pm this Wednesday, they go in for their ops the next morning
(Thursday) at 9am, and I can pick them up in the afternoon. Does this
sound right?

How much? US$40 each!

You might find the following interesting.

In 1991 I returned to Kuwait following the Gulf War. Arab countries are
full of stray cats. GENERALLY, Muslims do not care for cats. GENERALLY
they are treated like vermin. Hence, Kuwait and Saudi (where I have
also lived) are teeming with terrified and diseased strays, that spend
their lives in the vicinity of outdoor rubbish bins. Along come Yanks
and Brits, like us, and we feel sorry for them, rig up boxes (you know,
like you did as a kid, with a stick underneath and you on the end of a
string!) and catch them. You took back to the Gulf all sorts of
medicines everytime you returned to the West on holiday, to stamp out
their diseases, get them into condition, but how to neuter them? In
1991, in Kuwait, there were NO vets dealing with domestic animals.
Punchline: what did we do? Those of us working at the university, or in
medical capacities, filched anaesthetic, and we did the job ourselves on
the kitchen table! It was slightly stressful because of all the cloak
and dagger business involved, but it didn't cost US$40 per cat, I can
tell you!

Now, thankfully, there ARE several vets in Kuwait dealing with domestic
animals (Philoppini generally), though, still, in the waiting room,
owners of cats are Westerners, and owners of dogs and birds are Kuwaiti.

Thanks again.

Nell.

Old January 24th 05, 09:33 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article , Nell
wrote:

Rang the vet this afternoon. Was told to give them no food or drink
after 7pm this Wednesday, they go in for their ops the next morning
(Thursday) at 9am, and I can pick them up in the afternoon. Does this
sound right?

Yup. Francis is going in Friday morning at 7:30, and is to be NPO since
8:00 PM the previous evening (which will be tough, since he's used to
snacks on demand). I'll pick him up around 6:00 PM on Friday evening to
bring him home.

How much? US$40 each!

Cheap. The assistant at my vet's office quoted me $150 when I asked,
but I think she might have been looking up "spay" rather than "castrate."

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.