[OT] Poetry

Old May 26th 05, 04:18 AM
Yowie

Default [OT] Poetry

Totally OT, I know, but what are your favourite Poems, if you have one?

Mine is "Ode to Autumn" by Keats (posted below). Just curious as to what
yours are and why?

I like this one because its so sensual, so 'juicy', *full*, I can just
*feel* it "bursting".

Yowie

ODE TO AUTUMN

John Keats

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness!
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eaves run;
To bend with apples the mossed cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For Summer has o'erbrimmed their clammy cells.

Who hath not seen thee oft amid thy store?
Sometimes whoever seeks abroad may find
Thee sitting careless on a granary floor,
Thy hair soft-lifted by the winnowing wind;
Or on a half-reaped furrow sound asleep,
Drowsed with the fume of poppies, while thy hook
Spares the next swath and all its twined flowers;
And sometimes like a gleaner thou dost keep
Steady thy laden head across a brook;
Or by a cider-press, with patient look,
Thou watchest the last oozings, hours by hours.

Where are the songs of Spring? Ay, where are they?
Think not of them, thou hast thy music too, -
While barred clouds bloom the soft-dying day
And touch the stubble-plains with rosy hue;
Then in a wailful choir the small gnats mourn
Among the river sallows, borne aloft
Or sinking as the light wind lives or dies;
And full-grown lambs loud bleat from hilly bourn;
Hedge-crickets sing, and now with treble soft
The redbreast whistles from a garden-croft;
And gathering swallows twitter in the skies.

Old May 26th 05, 04:25 AM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 26 May 2005 13:18:44 +1000, "Yowie"
yodeled:

Totally OT, I know, but what are your favourite Poems, if you have one?

Mine is "Ode to Autumn" by Keats (posted below). Just curious as to what
yours are and why?

It is autumn down your way, isn't it? I had to memorize this poem in
the fourth grade.

[...]

Theresa
Old May 26th 05, 06:03 AM
Yowie

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 May 2005 13:18:44 +1000, "Yowie"
yodeled:

Totally OT, I know, but what are your favourite Poems, if you have one?

Mine is "Ode to Autumn" by Keats (posted below). Just curious as to what
yours are and why?

It is autumn down your way, isn't it? I had to memorize this poem in
the fourth grade.

Yup, its autumn, the last week or so being the first real 'cold' we've had
(OK, *I* think its cold, I know most of you would laugh at what I call
"cold"). The (imported) trees are dropping their leaves, and hte 'liquid
amber' trees are bright red at the moment. Beautiful!

Autumn has always been my favourite season, I love htat first cold breeze,
and the crisp clear air!

Yowie

Old May 26th 05, 03:45 PM
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

How Do I Love Thee?
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~* Aloha!!!!!

"There is no remedy for love but to love more"...
~~Henry David Thoreau

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Wow... this one is beautiful, Yowie!! But alas, I'm a sucker for romance,
and my favorite will always be...

How Do I Love Thee?
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

(Sorry for the HTML)

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old May 26th 05, 04:18 PM
O J

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:

How Do I Love Thee?
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

--------------------snip---------------------

Beautiful as this poem is, and much as I love it, it has a role in one
of those little games couples play with each other, namely my Dear
Heart and me.

I forget which of us started it, but one felt like tickling the other
and began thusly:

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."

At this point the tickler started counting the partner's ribs, a very
ticklish sensation. Usually the counter gets no higher than five
before the person being tickled reacts.

Just one of those silly couple's games.

--
Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old May 27th 05, 05:15 AM
Hopitus

How romantic! (the rib-counting).....
Anyone who has no idea how lowbrow the Hopitus is, its fave rhymes will now
give it away:
BTW Keats has a good rep through the ages; and that love poem is one of the
classics, as are the two I love:
1. The owl and the pussycat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat.
They took some honey
And plenty of money
Wrapped up in a five-pound note.
The owl looked up to the stars above
And sang to a small guitar,
"What a beautiful pussy!
Oh, pussy, my love,
What a beautiful pussy you are!"
Note: 3 more "you ares" plus repeat line above!
So they sailed away
For a year and a day
To the land where the bong-tree grows
And there, in a wood,
A piggy-wig stood
With a ring in the end of his nose
Note: 3 more "his noses" plus repeat line above!
"Piggy, would you be willing
To sell, for one shilling, your ring?"
Said the piggy, "I will!"
So they took it away
And were married next day
By the turkey who lived on the hill.
They dined on mince
And slices of quince
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand-in-hand
At the edge of the sand
They danced by the light of the moon.
Note: 3 more "the moons" plus repeat line above!
Was this romantic or *what*?
Remember, you did ask.
2. My candle burns @ both ends
It will not last the night.
But oh, my foes, and ah, my friends
It gives a lovely light......
Author #1 - some Brit dude I think. (5-pound note, shilling, mince, quince?)
Author #2 - some Brit lady.

Old May 28th 05, 04:30 PM
Elise

Hopitus wrote:

Anyone who has no idea how lowbrow the Hopitus is, its fave rhymes will now
give it away:

snip (not lowbrow) poetry

An all time favorite of mine:

Christopher Robin