Cat has crusty nose, vets are stumped, any ideas?

Old February 24th 04, 09:38 AM
Willows

It doesn't look like anything I'd worry about. Although I'm not a vet,
I see this often in cats that have been living outside its usually dirt
or food they just gets a bit stuck. Is he an indoor cat? How long does
it take to build up again after you wash his face and clean the area?

Old February 24th 04, 09:39 AM
J Gillen

Default Cat has crusty nose, vets are stumped, any ideas?

Hi Steve,
My cat who is a 9 year old ginger and white male..(neutered).. has the same
trouble. I am always taking the dirt off the creases.
He hates it..but i feel it is unhygeinic to leave it.
Judy

"Swill" wrote in message
My 6 month old male cat has a ring of crust all around his nose at the

join
of the nose and hair skin, making a complete triangle. The vets i've seen
have no clue what it is, any ideas? He also has very similar colored

marks
on his genitals although they are not crusty.

I've attached a very small jpeg.

Thanks
Steve
swilliams377atAustin.rr.com

Old February 24th 04, 09:53 AM
Hailey

The vet doesn't think there is underlying infection? I ask because the area
looks darker pink than his nose, beneath the black stuff.
It seems that if it were nothing, then he'd be able to keep it clean well
enough. Is he a very clean cat? I mean well self groomed.
Could he be doing too much grooming to the area? Making it slightly raw? If
so then it may be oozing and that stuff is sticky and will pick up all kinds
of ick to stick to it.

Does it bother him? Did it just start?

I'd be for seeing a diff vet, I think.

Hailey

Old February 24th 04, 11:29 AM
wumpy

"Swill" wrote in message
My 6 month old male cat has a ring of crust all around his nose at the

join
of the nose and hair skin, making a complete triangle. The vets i've seen
have no clue what it is, any ideas? He also has very similar colored

marks
on his genitals although they are not crusty.

I've attached a very small jpeg.

Thanks
Steve
swilliams377atAustin.rr.com

Perhaps someone is alt.med.veterinary can provide some insight.

Old February 24th 04, 03:16 PM
Swill

He's indoor only. He's very clean, it's not dirt. It grows back in a few
days if removed, and doesn't look sore underneath. He's had it - albeit just
under the nose - since he was a few weeks old. It doesn't bother him at all.
The cat is also a ginger and white male - coincidence? I also have the
sister female cat same age, she has very similar crust but only slightly and
under the nose like he had at a few weeks old.

. net...

Old February 24th 04, 04:16 PM
Mary

"Hailey" wrote in message