A mystery

Old August 1st 18, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

Default A mystery

My cats Pickles and Koala free feed. I have two small bowls of kibble
down at all times. Between those two bowls I have one of their water
bowls. Every day when I change the water there is at least one piece of
kibble floating in the water, and sometimes two or three. Since it is
this regular, it has to be deliberate. To me, it makes the water smell
really fowl.

The mystery is, is one of the cats putting the kibble in the water
because they like the way the water tastes, or because they know the
other cat doesn't like it, and will then be forced to drink out of the
other water dish?
Old August 2nd 18, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/1/2018 6:32 PM, joy wrote:
My cats Pickles and Koala free feed.Â* I have two small bowls of kibble
down at all times.Â* Between those two bowls I have one of their water
bowls.Â* Every day when I change the water there is at least one piece of
kibble floating in the water, and sometimes two or three.Â* Since it is
this regular, it has to be deliberate.Â* To me, it makes the water smell
really fowl.

The mystery is, is one of the cats putting the kibble in the water
because they like the way the water tastes, or because they know the
other cat doesn't like it, and will then be forced to drink out of the
other water dish?

Hmmmm. I am not sure except maybe one of them is looking for softer kibble?

Jill
Old August 2nd 18, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

On 8/1/2018 5:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 8/1/2018 6:32 PM, joy wrote:
My cats Pickles and Koala free feed.Â* I have two small bowls of kibble
down at all times.Â* Between those two bowls I have one of their water
bowls.Â* Every day when I change the water there is at least one piece
of kibble floating in the water, and sometimes two or three.Â* Since it
is this regular, it has to be deliberate.Â* To me, it makes the water
smell really fowl.

The mystery is, is one of the cats putting the kibble in the water
because they like the way the water tastes, or because they know the
other cat doesn't like it, and will then be forced to drink out of the
other water dish?

Hmmmm.Â* I am not sure except maybe one of them is looking for softer
kibble?

Jill

I don't think so. I think there would be water around the bowl if they
tried to fish it out, and there are never more than three, and usually
just one or two.

Joy
Old August 2nd 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

On 8/2/2018 8:02 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
joy wrote:
My cats Pickles and Koala free feed. I have two small bowls of kibble
down at all times. Between those two bowls I have one of their water
bowls. Every day when I change the water there is at least one piece of
kibble floating in the water, and sometimes two or three. Since it is
this regular, it has to be deliberate. To me, it makes the water smell
really fowl.

The mystery is, is one of the cats putting the kibble in the water
because they like the way the water tastes, or because they know the
other cat doesn't like it, and will then be forced to drink out of the
other water dish?

Sounds like there's been a message from the mothership to get the humans
guessing.

Judith

Yes, that's probably the best explanation.

Joy
Old August 3rd 18, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tina[_2_]

On 01/08/2018 23:32, joy wrote:
My cats Pickles and Koala free feed.Â* I have two small bowls of kibble
down at all times.Â* Between those two bowls I have one of their water
bowls.Â* Every day when I change the water there is at least one piece of
kibble floating in the water, and sometimes two or three.Â* Since it is
this regular, it has to be deliberate.Â* To me, it makes the water smell
really fowl.

The mystery is, is one of the cats putting the kibble in the water
because they like the way the water tastes, or because they know the
other cat doesn't like it, and will then be forced to drink out of the
other water dish?

Cats are not capable of doing this deliberately, their brains don't work
that way. What is probably happening is they eat, and then decide to
have a drink afterwards, and there is some kibble still in their mouth
when they drink, which then goes into the water.
I think it's that simple, tbh.

Old August 3rd 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/3/2018 1:21 PM, Tina wrote:
On 01/08/2018 23:32, joy wrote:
My cats Pickles and Koala free feed.Â* I have two small bowls of kibble
down at all times.Â* Between those two bowls I have one of their water
bowls.Â* Every day when I change the water there is at least one piece
of kibble floating in the water, and sometimes two or three.Â* Since it
is this regular, it has to be deliberate.Â* To me, it makes the water
smell really fowl.

The mystery is, is one of the cats putting the kibble in the water
because they like the way the water tastes, or because they know the
other cat doesn't like it, and will then be forced to drink out of the
other water dish?

Cats are not capable of doing this deliberately, their brains don't work
that way.Â* What is probably happening is they eat, and then decide to
have a drink afterwards, and there is some kibble still in their mouth
when they drink, which then goes into the water.
I think it's that simple, tbh.

That may be the case. However, I do think cats are capable of
deliberate thinking. Persia (RB) once opened the pantry door. She
maneuvered around the trash bin on the floor and knocked a can of Fancy
Feast down off the second shelf. The FF was sitting next to a same size
can of chopped green chillie peppers but she knew which can to go for.
Then she scooted it to the middle of the kitchen floor and sat next to
it, waiting for me to come in. I *know* that was a deliberate act! She
only ever got FF on Sunday as a treat. She pulled this trick on a
Saturday.

Jill
Old August 3rd 18, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

On 8/3/2018 10:49 AM, jmcquown wrote:
On 8/3/2018 1:21 PM, Tina wrote:
On 01/08/2018 23:32, joy wrote:
My cats Pickles and Koala free feed.Â* I have two small bowls of
kibble down at all times.Â* Between those two bowls I have one of
their water bowls.Â* Every day when I change the water there is at
least one piece of kibble floating in the water, and sometimes two or
three.Â* Since it is this regular, it has to be deliberate.Â* To me, it
makes the water smell really fowl.

The mystery is, is one of the cats putting the kibble in the water
because they like the way the water tastes, or because they know the
other cat doesn't like it, and will then be forced to drink out of
the other water dish?

Cats are not capable of doing this deliberately, their brains don't
work that way.Â* What is probably happening is they eat, and then
decide to have a drink afterwards, and there is some kibble still in
their mouth when they drink, which then goes into the water.
I think it's that simple, tbh.

That may be the case.Â* However, I do think cats are capable of
deliberate thinking.Â* Persia (RB) once opened the pantry door.Â* She
maneuvered around the trash bin on the floor and knocked a can of Fancy
Feast down off the second shelf.Â* The FF was sitting next to a same size
can of chopped green chillie peppers but she knew which can to go for.
Then she scooted it to the middle of the kitchen floor and sat next to
it, waiting for me to come in.Â* I *know* that was a deliberate act!Â* She
only ever got FF on Sunday as a treat.Â* She pulled this trick on a
Saturday.

Jill

I believe it. Cats, and other animals too, are much smarter than many
people realize.

Joy
Old August 5th 18, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tigger[_2_]

Tina wrote:
On 01/08/2018 23:32, joy wrote:
[...]

Simpler explanation maybe - kibble nuggets can bounce. My cat
will often go after them, but not always (I have to pick them
up and put them back in the bowl).

How far apart the bowls?
Old August 5th 18, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

On 8/4/2018 7:34 PM, Tigger wrote:
Tina wrote:
On 01/08/2018 23:32, joy wrote:
[...]

Maybe 6-8 inches. I do find kibble on the floor too. However, there is
always at least one piece in the water and never more than three.
Usually it's two. That just doesn't seem random to me.
Old August 17th 18, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tigger[_2_]

Tina wrote:
On 01/08/2018 23:32, joy wrote:

Cats are not capable of doing this deliberately, their brains don't work
that way. What is probably happening is they eat, and then decide to have
a drink afterwards, and there is some kibble still in their mouth when
they drink, which then goes into the water.
I think it's that simple, tbh.

Simpler explanation maybe - kibble nuggets can bounce. My cat
will often go after them, but not always (I have to pick them
up and put them back in the bowl).

How far apart the bowls?

Maybe 6-8 inches. I do find kibble on the floor too. However, there is
always at least one piece in the water and never more than three. Usually
it's two. That just doesn't seem random to me.

And three much less two kibbles is a bit much to be in its mouth
to make it to the water bowl, though eat-drink-repat in one or more
eating sessions might do it. (So much for the dainty eting rep...)

My cat's kibbles are roundish and bounce and roll well, too well
when stepped on with bare feet in the dark.

I suggest setting up a camera.

YAY!!!!! Mystery Solved CatNipped[_4_] Cat anecdotes 4 September 4th 11 12:43 AM
International Cat of Mystery Yowie Cat anecdotes 7 March 27th 06 05:34 AM
It's a Mystery... polonca12000 Cat anecdotes 7 May 23rd 04 12:08 PM
it's a mystery! Brenda Cat anecdotes 8 March 15th 04 12:39 AM
Please help the mystery cat Lotte Cat rescue 22 February 26th 04 09:55 PM