A decision to be made...

Old April 24th 05, 01:18 AM
Dan M

Default A decision to be made...

Boy, this is a tough call.

Another trucking company has been calling me, trying to get me to come
drive a dedicated route for them. I talked to them a week ago, and
they're offering a good deal - substantially more money than I'm getting
now, home one or two nights during the week, and home one and a half to
two days every weekend. Plus paid holidays (something I don't get now).
Overall it sounds like a sweet deal.

The down side - they don't allow pets in their trucks! Excpet for
drivers who lease a truck from the company.

I don't think Harri would have a problem with being a full-time house
kitty. When we left the house this last time (a couple weeks ago) she
wasn't really eager. She would just as soon have stayed under the
recliner with Tabitha. She didn't protest going on the truck with me,
but she has been pretty bored these last couple weeks. I think the
novelty has worn off and now it's just hours and hours of boredom
punctuated by the occasional exciting kitty walk.

I'm the only one who would have problems with this! I can't imagine
being on the road without my Roadcat by my side. Since early November
I've had Harri with me all day, every day, every place I've gone. When I
need someone to talk to, I talk to Harri. When I need someone to explain
my worries and fears and sorrows to, I talk to Harri. Oh boy, I do not
look forward to going on the road without her!

However, circumstances seem to be conspiring to keep me from doing so. I
was supposed to report or orientation in LA Monday morning, but right
now (Saturday evening) I'm sitting in the Sacramento yard without a load
on me. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

What I REALLY want to find is something I can do from home so I can have
all my kitties with me. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Dan
Old April 24th 05, 01:35 AM
CatNipped

"Dan M" wrote in message
[...]

This is just my take on things - you'll have to go with whatever your heart
and your head tells you to do. But...

As much as I would miss reading about Harri Roadcat, if I were you I would
have to go with the better job to benefit your family. You'll have more
time at home and that would probably be better for you and Nancy, and we
could all use extra income. Also, Harri is getting older and could probably
use the extra space to run and play in were she home all the time.

I'm still purring that you find that perfect computer job that allows *you*
to stay home *all* the time *with* Harri!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 24th 05, 01:45 AM
Pat

To me it sounds like something worth making a change for. You drove before
without Harri, you can do it again, and now you'll get to see her more often
at home. Sounds like she's also ready for a change. You could talk into a
hand-held tape recorder, then leave the tapes home for her to hear while you
are gone. That way you will still be able to talk to Harri on the road,
without Harri being on the road, and Harii can listen to you if she misses
you, too.

Old April 24th 05, 01:48 AM
CatNipped

"Pat" wrote in message
To me it sounds like something worth making a change for. You drove before
without Harri, you can do it again, and now you'll get to see her more

often
at home. Sounds like she's also ready for a change. You could talk into a
hand-held tape recorder, then leave the tapes home for her to hear while

you
are gone. That way you will still be able to talk to Harri on the road,
without Harri being on the road, and Harii can listen to you if she misses
you, too.

That's a great idea, Pat. That was the only sticking point that I kept
tripping over in my advice - I can only imagine how lonely I'd be on the
road and away from home so much. Harri must be *such* a comfort for that.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 24th 05, 03:54 AM
Marina

Dan M wrote:

Boy, this is a tough call.

Indeed it is, Dan. I can't really advise you, but we are sending heaps
of purrs your way. I understand how terribly lonesome you would be
without Harri now that you've grown accustomed to having her there. But
OTOH, you'd be home more often with all the cats. What a difficult
choice. We're still purring for you to find a job closer to home.

--
Marina, Frank, Nikki, and introducing: Mere!
Old April 24th 05, 06:17 AM

Dan M wrote:
Boy, this is a tough call.

Another trucking company has been calling me, trying to get me to

come
drive a dedicated route for them. I talked to them a week ago, and
they're offering a good deal - substantially more money than I'm

getting
now, home one or two nights during the week, and home one and a half

two days every weekend. Plus paid holidays (something I don't get

now).
Overall it sounds like a sweet deal.

Wow, a dedicated run and off weekends. That part sounds really good,
and the extra $$$ doesn't hurt, either. Harri might not mind being a
grounded Roadcat, if she knows Paw shows up every weekend. Good luck,
Dan.

Sherry

Old April 24th 05, 10:55 AM
polonca12000

What a tough decision!
We are purring and sending best wishes for a stay-at-home job for you, Dan,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Dan M" wrote in message
Boy, this is a tough call.

Another trucking company has been calling me, trying to get me to come
drive a dedicated route for them. I talked to them a week ago, and
they're offering a good deal - substantially more money than I'm getting
now, home one or two nights during the week, and home one and a half to
two days every weekend. Plus paid holidays (something I don't get now).
Overall it sounds like a sweet deal.

The down side - they don't allow pets in their trucks! Excpet for
drivers who lease a truck from the company.

snip

Old April 24th 05, 12:02 PM
Adrian

Dan M wrote:
Boy, this is a tough call.

It certainly is. Purrs that whatever decision you come works for all
concerned.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old April 24th 05, 04:52 PM
Duke of URL

Adrian wrote:
Dan M wrote:

Boy, this is a tough call.

It certainly is. Purrs that whatever decision you come works for all
concerned.

Dan, I am puzzled. I used to be connected with the trucking industry and
your situation sounds backwards to me.
Did I misunderstand? If you use THEIR truck, you may take along your pet,
but if you use YOUR truck, they won't allow it? That really makes no sense
to me at all, at all.
--

Cliologist, Philanthropologist, Prothonotary Wibbler,
Paleoconservative, Surface Warrior Squid

Old April 24th 05, 05:59 PM
Enfilade

Another trucking company has been calling me, trying to get me to

come
drive a dedicated route for them. I talked to them a week ago, and
they're offering a good deal - substantially more money than I'm

getting
now, home one or two nights during the week, and home one and a half

two days every weekend. Plus paid holidays (something I don't get

now).
Overall it sounds like a sweet deal.

Wow, a dedicated run and off weekends. That part sounds really good,
and the extra $$$ doesn't hurt, either. Harri might not mind being a
grounded Roadcat, if she knows Paw shows up every weekend. Good luck,
Dan.

That does sound like a good deal. Money, more opportunities to be
home, paid vacation. I think it's worth it for a grown Harri to be
able to run about the house and see her Paw on his time off. Perhaps
you could use some of that extra money to invest in some books on tape
to help pass the time, or borrow them from a library. And be sure to
tkae some photos of your Roadcat in the truck.

--Fil