Follow up - to So Worried what Could This Be? and question for Phil

Old February 11th 05, 08:29 PM
sarah

Default Follow up - to So Worried what Could This Be? and question for Phil

Just a quick update - my cat had a check up tonight and her heart rate and
temperature were all normal.

The vet now thinks she may be suffering from episodic low blood pressure and
she is booked in for Monday week to have it rechecked.

She's still having the potassium supplement but has only been on it since
last Sunday.

If the potassium deficiency was the cause of the problems recently - how
soon would you expect to see an improvement now she's on the supplement?
Would an improvement even be noticeable - other than the fact she did not
fall sick again?

She supposed to be on 2ml twice per day but as she does not eat a lot I've
been giving her 1ml four times a day, although most days she only gets a
total of 3mls.

If you are reading this Phil - perhaps you would care to comment? Your
information was invaluable to me the other day.

many thanks

Sarah

Old February 12th 05, 10:39 AM
Phil P.

"sarah" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Sarah,

Her serum potassium levels should be monitored *very* closely because she's
also taking a potent ACE inhibitor. Your vet should be aware of this drug
interaction - but if I were you, I'd err on the side of caution and bring
it to his attention *immediately* just in case it slipped his mind.

If her body stores of potassium were depleted, the supplement will make her
start feeling and acting and even looking better, and her appetite and
haircoat should also improve. Since there isn't a simple, routine test to
monitor body potassium depletion, all you can do is monitor her serum
potassium levels to avert life-threatening hyperkalemia and see if she
starts acting and feeling better after receiving the supplement for about a
month.

Earlier you mentioned she was diagnosed with CRF but now her BUN/Cr are
normal. ACE inhibitors have been known to slow the rate of progression of
CRF in cats and also increase whole kidney GFR. An increase in GRF would
certainly lower her BUN/Cr.

Another possible explanation for her improved kidney function could the
development of mild hyperthyroidism. The next time you take her to the vet,
ask him to test her thyroid function. Because she may have something else
going on, I would tell your vet to have her thyroid function assessed with
the Free T4 by Equilibrium Dialysis assay along with the routine free T4.
Both blood samples should be sent to the lab together.

Keep the faith!

Phil.

Old February 12th 05, 03:39 PM
sarah

Thanks Phil.

She's back to the vet next week. I've printed out what you have suggested
and will take it along.

By the time she goes back to the vet I should have a better idea on how she
really is - if today is anything to go by, then she really does seem a lot
better and much happier. (Her swollen paw is now better too).

She is definitely not getting the full recommended dose of potassium
supplement as she is a small eater anyway - but is obviously taking in some.
I'm reluctant to put 2 mls on one meal twice per day in case it spoils the
food taste too much and she refuses to eat it.

Thanks again Phil

regards

Sarah