Cat Trapped in House Fed Via Letter Box

Old March 30th 05, 07:34 PM
Duke of URL

Default Cat Trapped in House Fed Via Letter Box

LONDON (Reuters) - The owners of a cat trapped for a week in the home of a
vacationing neighbor have been pushing ice cubes and cat food through the
letter box to keep their pet -- named Lucky -- alive.
The Daily Express newspaper Monday said the black-and-white cat was spotted
fast asleep in the neighbor's house after she went missing from her home
near Bristol, southwest England.
"I just hope our neighbor has gone away for a week and not for months,"
owner Tracey Venables, 31, told the newspaper.
Venables said it was likely Lucky had slipped into the neighbor's house
unnoticed before the man headed off on holiday ahead of the Easter weekend.
Police have told Venables they are powerless to release her errant cat.
"It's absolutely infuriating because she is so close but we cannot get to
her," said the mother-of-two, who added she would break in should Lucky show
any signs of ill health. "I don't care if I get arrested."
--
Cliologist, Philanthropologist, Prothonotary Wibbler, Paleoconservative,
Surface Warrior Squid

Old March 30th 05, 08:24 PM
Karen

That seems really silly that the police can't go in and get it. I'm quite
certain they could here. I hope the neighbor comes home soon.

Old March 30th 05, 09:08 PM
BC

Duke of URL wrote:
[...]

This is just typical of this country, you would think that the RSPCA
would be able to rescue the cat with the help of the police purely
because it does not have a proper source of water, and is therefore at
risk. What if the man returns and tries to sue the neighbour for
putting cat food all over his floor! Not to mention the fact of where
is this cat going to the toilet! Sometimes this country is so stupid,
if it was my house I would rather they broke in and then bordered it
back up securely than somebody elses cat was left to fend for itself in
my house. What if he is gone for a long time, would it just have to be
trapped for months? What if he breaks something thats worth a lot of
money?!

I've just had a daft thought, they would probably leave it there for a
couple of months then break in because it was sleeping in its own
excrement and save it from what they had made it live in!!!

--
Badger Badger Badger
Old March 30th 05, 11:14 PM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:34:51 -0600, Duke of URL wrote:

[...]

How about this: break a window, coax the cat out -- have a window
repaired from outside? MLB
Old March 30th 05, 11:36 PM
jmcquown

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
[...]

Excellent idea! Assuming they don't have an alarm system...

Jill

Old March 30th 05, 11:49 PM
Jo Firey

If it were MY house I'd certainly want the cat released by some proper
agency that could then resecure the house. Water dribbled thru the mail
slot? No kitty litter? Gone three weeks? Yikes!

Not to mention just how vulnerable all this publicity has now made that
particular home.

Jo

Old March 31st 05, 12:08 AM
KellyH

How about this: break a window, coax the cat out -- have a window
repaired from outside? MLB

Excellent idea! Assuming they don't have an alarm system...

Jill

Even with an alarm system, once the police come, you just say, "Oops, kids
were playing ball and broke the window." I would do it if it were my cat.
I hadn't thought about the "where's the cat going potty" issue till someone
brought that up. I read about this story a couple days ago. Doesn't anyone
have a way to get in touch with the homeowners to get their consent to open
up the house?

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 31st 05, 12:15 AM
Enfilade

"Duke of URL" wrote in message
LONDON (Reuters) - The owners of a cat trapped for a week in the home of a
vacationing neighbor have been pushing ice cubes and cat food through the
letter box to keep their pet -- named Lucky -- alive.

Ridiculous.

I hope the neighbours come home soon and let poor Lucky out.

--Fil
Old March 31st 05, 12:42 AM
O J

BC wrote:

---------------------snip-----------------
This is just typical of this country, you would think that the RSPCA
would be able to rescue the cat with the help of the police purely
because it does not have a proper source of water, and is therefore at
risk.

This sounds like a jog for Raffles, the amateur cracksman. Seriously
though, picking and re-keying locks is a hobby of mine. If I were
there, I'd take a turn at it. The average UK lock is different than
the pin tumbler locks so common in the US, but are definitely
pickable.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old March 31st 05, 12:44 AM
jmcquown

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
If it were MY house I'd certainly want the cat released by some proper
agency that could then resecure the house. Water dribbled thru the mail
slot? No kitty litter? Gone three weeks? Yikes!

Not to mention just how vulnerable all this publicity has now made that
particular home.

Jo

Maybe it's an "attack cat"

Jill
"Duke of URL" wrote in message
[...]

Jellicle Ball: Furrst Drafft ov Nayms The Clowder Cat community 70 November 27th 04 04:02 PM
Jellicle Ball: Final Calling of Names Mietze Cat community 20 November 12th 04 07:59 PM
The Cats House Gee Cats - misc 4 April 21st 04 11:06 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM
Jellicle Ball: Final Calling ov Names The Clowder Cat community 20 October 24th 03 07:04 AM