OT - Hobby Suggestions Needed

Old April 24th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default OT - Hobby Suggestions Needed

As Pam suggested in another thread - a hobby would be a good way to distract
myself from the fear of being alone when DH starts his new shift. I just
need some suggestions that take into account my limitations: I'm broke so
the materials can't be costly; I'm a klutz so it can't be something that
takes a lot of dexterity or could seriously injure me; and it has to take
into account my severely limited attention span (no long-term projects).
OK, I know that's a lot of limitations, but come on, you guys are extremely
inventive!

Anybody got any ideas?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old April 24th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:32:39 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

As Pam suggested in another thread - a hobby would be a good way to distract
myself from the fear of being alone when DH starts his new shift. I just
need some suggestions that take into account my limitations: I'm broke so
the materials can't be costly; I'm a klutz so it can't be something that
takes a lot of dexterity or could seriously injure me; and it has to take
into account my severely limited attention span (no long-term projects).
OK, I know that's a lot of limitations, but come on, you guys are extremely
inventive!

Anybody got any ideas?

How about writing? It's easy, I find it relaxing and enjoyable, and you
can get some peer review of your work (if you want it) at places like
writing.com.

Dan

Old April 24th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
news
[...]

Oops, reminds me I forgot one limitation - tendonitis of the right neck,
shoulder, arm and wrist. I type so much at work that I can't do it at home
(it got so bad I can only post to the newsgroups when I get some free time
at work - it hurts too much to type at home too or even use the mouse to
lurk). Even writing long-hand would hurt.

Man, I know I'm putting too many limitations on this, and I hate to be one
of those people who ask for help and then shoot down every idea given. I'm
sorry!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 24th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
As Pam suggested in another thread - a hobby would be a good way to
distract myself from the fear of being alone when DH starts his new
shift. I just need some suggestions that take into account my
limitations: I'm broke so the materials can't be costly; I'm a klutz so
it can't be something that takes a lot of dexterity or could seriously
injure me; and it has to take into account my severely limited attention
span (no long-term projects). OK, I know that's a lot of limitations, but
come on, you guys are extremely inventive!

Anybody got any ideas?

How about a class somewhere a couple of evenings a week. Educational, or
hobby type (cooking, sewing, art) or exercise (gag).

Jo

Old April 24th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
. ..

"CatNipped" wrote in message
As Pam suggested in another thread - a hobby would be a good way to
distract myself from the fear of being alone when DH starts his new
shift. I just need some suggestions that take into account my
limitations: I'm broke so the materials can't be costly; I'm a klutz so
it can't be something that takes a lot of dexterity or could seriously
injure me; and it has to take into account my severely limited attention
span (no long-term projects). OK, I know that's a lot of limitations,
but come on, you guys are extremely inventive!

Anybody got any ideas?

How about a class somewhere a couple of evenings a week. Educational, or
hobby type (cooking, sewing, art) or exercise (gag).

Jo

Can you swim? Maybe somewhere you can swim for an hour in the evenings.
Or walking. I'm guessing its too hot for that there in the evening. But I
know they have early morning mall walking clubs. Maybe there are evening
ones. Or draft a friend.

I'd guess you need to get out of (or come home later) the house for a few
hours a few evenings a week. As well as fill Saturday and Sunday
afternoon/evenings.

And don't forget volunteering. Most cities have resources that will match
your needs and abilities with things that need done. Let them know what
you can and can't do and what your interests are.

Adult literacy programs are popular with volunteers here. I know you are
spending too much time physically on the computer with work, but could you
teach computer classes? Maybe at a community or senior center.

And on the 'it could always be worse' side, remind yourself that at least
the days are getting longer so it isn't like you will be stuck home alone
after dark as much as you would in the winter.

Jo

Old April 25th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
. ..

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Volunteering at an adult senior center is an excellent suggestion. Lori has
computer skills, and that is just what many of these facilities need. In
fact, I plan to do that after I retire in August.

MaryL

Old April 25th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I have two, and I am offering them because the definition of mechanical is
"if lee can do it its NOT mechanical or creative"

1. clean your house starting at the least used area, declutter, rearrange
and do it for 15/30 minutes at a time, this will give you a goal, a sense of
accomplishment and if you find enough stuff to get rid of you might make
some extra cash selling it, even if you don't a clean tidy place is so much
less stress, and since you are cleaning for yourself there is no pressure
like guests coming and

2. if you can get it, or if you can use paper, start at the top and make a
remodeling plan for your house, include needed repairs/ regular decorating
like paint colors and patterns you would like and then major remodeling like
that ideal bathroom, its fun and if you have the lists and have researched
the costs, when there is a bit of extra money you will know what you can
afford, Lee

Old April 25th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
As Pam suggested in another thread - a hobby would be a good way to
distract myself from the fear of being alone when DH starts his new shift.
I just need some suggestions that take into account my limitations: I'm
broke so the materials can't be costly; I'm a klutz so it can't be
something that takes a lot of dexterity or could seriously injure me; and
it has to take into account my severely limited attention span (no
long-term projects). OK, I know that's a lot of limitations, but come on,
you guys are extremely inventive!

Anybody got any ideas?

Plastic canvas comes to mind. It isn't as optically demanding as most
needle work, uses a blunted needle, has all sorts of options for designs,
and can be taken up or put down as desired. Do/can you sew? If so quilting
is an option. You don't have to make full sized quilts like Sherry, and you
can use either machine or hand piecing techniques. Mandy likes to color
posters. We all read. Models are a possibility, though if your as klutzy
as I am, you'll need help.

Pam S who started out on popsicle construction projects.

Old April 25th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

Can you swim? Maybe somewhere you can swim for an hour in the evenings.
Or walking. I'm guessing its too hot for that there in the evening. But
I know they have early morning mall walking clubs. Maybe there are
evening ones. Or draft a friend..

bicycling! Doesn't Catnip have a bicycle and used to cycle? Maybe that is
a viable option.

Pam S.