Declawing: glad I took the time

Old November 4th 03, 07:38 AM

Well, IMO and IME, it is easy to make an
outdoor-only cat indoor-outdoor, but
nearly impossible to make them
indoor-only.

I completely disagree. A good number of my cats were outdoors/feral and
in the same situation as the cat described, as are some of the rescues
I've found homes for. I have *never* had difficulty making them indoor
only cats. Generally speaking, formerly outdoor/feral cats rarely show
any interest in going outside once they get a taste of what it's like to
be safe, warm, well-fed and loved.

Some people can and do, but many
times it takes persistence and dedication
that many people don't have.

Again, I disagree. It doesn't take much to keep the door closed, provide
window seats and a cat tree, etc., and give the cat other things to do.
Once in awhile you may have a cat that becomes vocal when first brought
indoors, but ignoring the behavior and distracting the cat with play is
effective and it usually takes no more than a few days for the cat to
settle down.

An unhappy cat will eliminate
inappropriately - and I have found this to
be common with outdoor-onlys who are
made indoor-onlys.

Here I have to vehemently disagree. I have *never* had a formerly
outdoor/feral cat exhibit innapropriate elimination, or seen it happen
with the formerly outdoor rescues that have been rehomed. If anything,
they have been perfect in their litterbox habits and very fastidious
when it comes to covering their waste in the litterbox.

If it were my cat, and she was happy
outdoors, and I could provide heated
shelter for her during the winter, I'd be
very reluctant to try the transition. But
that's just MO - take it or leave it.

I'm really disappointed that you have chosen to abandon advocating for
the *best* situation for this cat. She's socialized and agreeable
enough to the OP, and she has a chance at a safe indoor home. I don't
see any reason not to give her exactly that.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old November 4th 03, 03:35 PM
James Revell

Why don't you get cat trees. Sounds like you can afford them. You could also
make or buy one for the deck. A friend of mine who lives in a rural area did
that for their old mostly outdoor tom cat who was scratching the deck posts.
He uses it with more delight than the deck posts now. My cats use theirs
with gusto. They are totally indoors.

Karen

Karen

Sometimes that still doesn't work. We have two cats in our family,
the oldest we've had 2 years, the youngest, 6 months. They are
in-out; spending about half their days outside. When they come in,
the youngest proceeds to shred everything in sight. We've got a huge
cat tree and multiple posts, doesn't seem to matter. While the young
cat will use the tree and posts, she prefers expensive furniture. She
has personally ruined $1500.00 worth of furniture so far and she shows
no sign of letting up. We've tried spray bottles, Feliway, putting
her on her post when she scratches, having her nails trimmed, etc.
I'm really trying to be patient, I don't believe in declawing, but my
patience is wearing thin. If I have to go out and buy another
$2000.00 couch, either the cat is going to the shelter or she is going
to get declawed, as much as I hate to make that decision.

Old November 4th 03, 04:24 PM

James Revell wrote:

Sometimes that still doesn't work. We
have two cats in our family, the oldest
we've had 2 years, the youngest, 6
months. They are in-out; spending about
half their days outside. When they come
in, the youngest proceeds to shred
everything in sight. We've got a huge
cat tree and multiple posts, doesn't
seem to matter. While the young cat will
use the tree and posts, she prefers
expensive furniture. She has personally
ruined $1500.00 worth of furniture so
far and she shows no sign of letting up.

If this is true, you have noone to blame but yourself. It is a
relatively simple thing to make the furniture temporarily unattractive
to scratch by using covers or double sided sticky tape until the KITTEN
is using the posts exclusively.

We've tried spray bottles, Feliway,
putting her on her post when she
scratches, having her nails trimmed,
etc.

She's a 6 month old KITTEN. They have a wild stage which they grow out
of, but she is at a good age where getting her to use only the
scratching posts is very easy. As you have found out, squirting doesn't
work. If you are angry when you take her away from what she is
scratching and put her on the post she can't tell the difference and
will assocate the anger with the post. Using fear to try to train is
ineffective. Positive reinforcement is the best way to get a cat to do
what you want.
Make the furniture unappealing for awhile and consistently redirect her
attention to appropriate scratching surfaces in a *positive* manner
using lots of praise and your problem is solved. You can also use a
product called softpaws, which are plastic nailcaps that will stop any
damage from occurring while you are training, then regular trimming
after that. It would also be wise for you to give her some things to
scratch that mimic the surface of the furniture. It's obvious there's
something about that texture she really likes, so give her something *of
her own* that is the same or similar. If you don't find something
available for purchase, it is relatively easy to make something
yourself.

I'm really trying to be patient, I
don't believe in declawing, but my
patience is wearing thin. If I have to
go out and buy another $2000.00 couch,
either the cat is going to the shelter
or she is going to get declawed, as much
as I hate to make that decision.

Dumping the cat at a shelter or mutilating her for your convenience are
both cruel choices. Being gentle, patient and consistent with this
KITTEN will be effective. Stop being so angry about a behavior that is
natural to all cats and focus on making this kitten feel really happy
when she scratches the *right* things.