Behavior modification; cats and strangers

Old March 18th 06, 10:24 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Behavior modification; cats and strangers

Last year, this cat used to visit me regularly in late afternoon, eat
her favorite canned foods, watch tv, then leave.

During the winter a family emergency forced us to go overseas. We had
an apt-sitter, who I couldn't expect to be like me and who mostly left
dry food out. At least the cat could eat.

Coming back, I find the cat is slowly warming back to me but her habits
have changed.

(1) She has become used to dry food. I have been putting out a little
bit of canned each time but she barely notices it. I want her to eat
canned but my first priority has got to be that she ha enough to eat,
right?

(2) She has become used to eating around 1PM. At 5, I had about 2 hours
to watch news and play with her. At 1 I am busy at the computer with
real work and she feels ignored and looks grumpy. My fear is if I don't
feed her when she comes, instead of returning later she may simply give
up on me.

Questions so far: How can I make her come around 5pm, eat canned food,
and feel it is all her idea? :-)

(3) Yet another potential problem is that two new families are about to
move into the ground floor apartments that have been empty so far. She
passes through those porches to climb to our 3rd floor. Now there could
be a few strangers in her path.

For a few days last Fall, there were wormen in the yard, not even in
her direct path, but she hid untill everyone had left and came several
hours later, still looking anxious. I am worried by that memory,

Question: What can I do to let her know these new people are ok and she
should just climb up?

Should I not bother trying to force too many changes, and just keep
feeding dry whenever she shows up at least until she gets used to the
presence of new people?

All opinions greatly appreciated.
Old March 18th 06, 01:50 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I agree. Keep her indoors.

Old March 18th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Ajanta" wrote in message
Last year, this cat used to visit me regularly in late afternoon, eat
her favorite canned foods, watch tv, then leave.

During the winter a family emergency forced us to go overseas. We had
an apt-sitter, who I couldn't expect to be like me and who mostly left
dry food out. At least the cat could eat.

Coming back, I find the cat is slowly warming back to me but her habits
have changed.

(1) She has become used to dry food. I have been putting out a little
bit of canned each time but she barely notices it. I want her to eat
canned but my first priority has got to be that she ha enough to eat,
right?

She should be fine with just the dry food. Vet told me to feed one of mine
only dry food.

(2) She has become used to eating around 1PM. At 5, I had about 2 hours
to watch news and play with her. At 1 I am busy at the computer with
real work and she feels ignored and looks grumpy. My fear is if I don't
feed her when she comes, instead of returning later she may simply give
up on me.

Let her wait, 15 minutes one day then 25, then an hour till you get back to
5 PM.

Questions so far: How can I make her come around 5pm, eat canned food,
and feel it is all her idea? :-)

See above

(3) Yet another potential problem is that two new families are about to
move into the ground floor apartments that have been empty so far. She
passes through those porches to climb to our 3rd floor. Now there could
be a few strangers in her path.

For a few days last Fall, there were wormen in the yard, not even in
her direct path, but she hid untill everyone had left and came several
hours later, still looking anxious. I am worried by that memory,

Question: What can I do to let her know these new people are ok and she
should just climb up?

Intro her to them, and ditto for yourself.

Should I not bother trying to force too many changes, and just keep
feeding dry whenever she shows up at least until she gets used to the
presence of new people?

She'll adjust most likely. She knows where the food is coming from.

All opinions greatly appreciated.

And don't listen to those that freak at the thought of a cat being allowed
to be a cat. Better a good life than a long life of denied essence of being.
If a cat wants to be outside it should be allowed, locking it up only breaks
it's will unless it truly wants to stick around inside. I live out in the
forest so I can say that. There are some good arguments for those in the
city though. High traffic etcetera.

Stone
Some pic's http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stoneman72/my_photos

Old March 18th 06, 05:43 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:30:09 GMT, "Ryan Robbins"
wrote:

Do you know whether the cat is homeless? Have you tried to find out who owns
it?

If nobody owns it, keep it indoors. It shouldn't be roaming around anyway.

You may never know if it is homeless. One thing I discovered around
here (US) is that when it comes to cat law, it gets very complicated.
A cat may have several "owners" none of whom know about the others.
It may be with one of those owners at 5pm.

As far as the being afraid of people, not unusual.

When the cat comes at 1pm could it be because it is light out?
Around here in the US it gets dark at 4:30pm,

As far as food my preference is dry food for cats.

Old March 18th 06, 07:29 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Gary Stone" wrote in message

"Ajanta" wrote in message
[...]

I think you can take ownership of the cat if you don't know that it belongs
to anyone and perhaps keep her in at night/bed time where you know she's
safe and out during the day. You already know she'll come back to you, so
that wouldn't be a problem. If you live in an apartment building, my guess
is you live in a at least somewhat high traffic area. Introduce yourself to
your new neighbors and introduce the cat and if you don't want to take full
ownership, maybe just tell them that she comes to you for food sometimes so
not to worry about seeing her wandering around. But, I think if she loves
you enough to keep coming back, then perhaps you should let her fully claim
you

Beth

Old March 18th 06, 07:53 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

:
: If nobody owns it, keep it indoors. It shouldn't be roaming
: around anyway.

She lives among 5-6 interconnected yards. AFAIK she does not venture
beyond these and does not need to cross any road or traffic. I only
worried about her comfort during the coldest of winter days, otherwise
she is safe and can be said to have her pick of many homes (lawns,
bushes, garages, space under porchs, etc). She seems more attacched to
one particular yard, so that may have been her home once. Or maybe she
just likes it there. She is well known and accepted, but no one I could
talked to remembers any real "owners" or when and where from she came.

As this "advice" keeps coming up, I have explained before that some in
our family are opposed to taking in a pet, and she herself shows no
desire to stay beyond 2-3 hours max.
Old March 18th 06, 07:56 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Dr. O'Woodard wrote:

: As far as food my preference is dry food for cats.

This caught my eye. Why do you think so? I always heard, including in
these groups, that canned was better.
Old March 18th 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:56:17 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

Dr. O'Woodard wrote:

: As far as food my preference is dry food for cats.

This caught my eye. Why do you think so? I always heard, including in
these groups, that canned was better.

Moist food is alot water. Also if the cat chews the food
dry food is better for it's teeth.

My cats all prefer dry food.

Some past cats preferred moist food but will not eat moist food out of
the refrigerator. Even if it was heated up in the microwave. So now
i'm glad that all my cats have a preference for dry food.

Old March 18th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Dr. O'Woodard" wrote in message
On 18 Mar 2006 04:50:45 -0800, "Buddy" wrote:

I agree. Keep her indoors.

That may not be legal. The cat may well have several owners
that you don't know about. Here in the US dog law is straight
forward, the dog has one owner. Cat law isn't in that the
cat often has several owners none of whom know about each other.

So it may be illegal/unwise for you to keep the cat inside.

In order for you to keep it inside you'd have to establish that
it is indeed homeless and that may next to impossible to do.

actually, any cat not confined to an owner's property is technically
classified as a stray

Old March 18th 06, 09:52 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"~*Connie*~" wrote in message

[snip]

actually, any cat not confined to an owner's property is
technically classified as a stray

Not in this country. Not everyone is in the US.

Ivor