my cat and my nose

Old June 15th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David Mooney

Default my cat and my nose

my 10-week old cat Jacob likes to play in my lap. He attacks my hand and
playfully bites my hand without breaking the skin. Sometimes after this, he
was facing me as I sat in the recliner and ne attacked my face, swatting at
my eyes playfully, I told him no. Moments later he attacked my nose and bit
rather hard. How do I train him not to bite me in the nose nor swat at my
eyes. I love looking into my cat's eyes but unfotunately I may not to face
my cat. Is there a good way to keep a 10-week old kitten fromm doing the
above? I don't wnt to use my hand to punish my cat because I have heard that
to use your hand on your cat will cause thr cat to fear the hand.

Help will be appreciated,
David Lee

Old June 15th 07, 08:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"David Mooney" wrote in message
. ..
my 10-week old cat Jacob likes to play in my lap. He attacks my hand and
playfully bites my hand without breaking the skin. Sometimes after this,
he was facing me as I sat in the recliner and ne attacked my face,
swatting at my eyes playfully, I told him no. Moments later he attacked my
nose and bit rather hard. How do I train him not to bite me in the nose
nor swat at my eyes. I love looking into my cat's eyes but unfotunately I
may not to face my cat. Is there a good way to keep a 10-week old kitten
fromm doing the above? I don't wnt to use my hand to punish my cat because
I have heard that to use your hand on your cat will cause thr cat to fear
the hand.

Help will be appreciated,
David Lee

David,

Use toys like feathers on a wand when you play with your cat. Never use
your hand that way. Use your hand to pet, soothe, and groom him. He is
young enough to shape now, at 10 weeks. When he goes for your hand,
say "OW!" loudly and stop playing. Same thing with your face.

He needs to learn that you are a lowly human, not protected as other cats
are, by fur and lightning reflexes.

As for punishing your cat--just stop playing, maybe give him a time out in
a room alone with his box and food and water. Never hit him. Loud noises
like clapping or "NO!" are enough to deter him. Good luck.

Old June 15th 07, 10:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David Mooney

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

DAVID LEE
Thanks cybercat for the ibfo. I will have to retrain the cat because I have
let him bite my hand for 2 weeks when I was training him how to play and to
learn to defend himself. I would place my hand on the knee and walk like a
spider across the knees. He would attack it and he knew it was play because
he did not break the skin.

It was only when he started for my face that I began to worry, but your
advice has been noted and I will follow your suggestions,

Thabks,
David Mooney

Old June 15th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"David Mooney" wrote
Thanks cybercat for the ibfo. I will have to retrain the cat because I
have let him bite my hand for 2 weeks when I was training him how to play
and to learn to defend himself. I would place my hand on the knee and walk
like a spider across the knees. He would attack it and he knew it was play
because he did not break the skin.

I see how you were thinking. You can retrain him. I am sure kittens learn
from their mom's that there are things they can do when they are little that
are not okay when they're big. I hope you don't let him out unsupervised.
If you don't, he doesn't have anything to defend himself against, right?
And why should he have to? He deserves to be safe.

Old June 15th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David Mooney

"cybercat" wrote in message

"David Mooney" wrote
Thanks cybercat for the ibfo. I will have to retrain the cat because I
have let him bite my hand for 2 weeks when I was training him how to play
and to learn to defend himself. I would place my hand on the knee and
walk like a spider across the knees. He would attack it and he knew it
was play because he did not break the skin.

I see how you were thinking. You can retrain him. I am sure kittens learn
from their mom's that there are things they can do when they are little
that
are not okay when they're big. I hope you don't let him out unsupervised.
If you don't, he doesn't have anything to defend himself against, right?
And why should he have to? He deserves to be safe.

David Mooney
Hi cybercat. Jacob is not unsupervised when I bring him outside. I sit in
the lawn chair and either listen to music or read, but I keep an eye on
Jacob. At first he never parted far from me. Now his borders are expanding
and he is willing to run out of my line of sight at times. I usually get up
and carry him back into the shaded area of the tree. Sometimes he tries to
climb the tree. He really enjoys his time outside. I bring him inside when I
am ready to go in. Luckily I live on a farm with many acres and I can take
my cat and make sure he never goes beyond certain limits. The fields are not
part of his territory and only the area with green grass is his.

Thanks,
David M

Old June 15th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
goyangi tan

On Jun 15, 3:20 am, "David Mooney" wrote:
my 10-week old cat Jacob likes to play in my lap. He attacks my hand and
playfully bites my hand without breaking the skin. Sometimes after this, he
was facing me as I sat in the recliner and ne attacked my face, swatting at
my eyes playfully, I told him no. Moments later he attacked my nose and bit
rather hard. How do I train him not to bite me in the nose nor swat at my
eyes. I love looking into my cat's eyes but unfotunately I may not to face
my cat. Is there a good way to keep a 10-week old kitten fromm doing the
above? I don't wnt to use my hand to punish my cat because I have heard that
to use your hand on your cat will cause thr cat to fear the hand.

Help will be appreciated,
David Lee

Try kicking him in the nuts. He'll never do it again.

Old June 16th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 15 Jun, 19:58, "David Mooney" wrote:
"cybercat" wrote in message

"David Mooney" wrote
[...]

one thing to think about; cats find being stared at straight into
their eyes quite an aggressive and antagonistic thing and it tends to
irritate them, as though you are 'staring them down' and trying to
impose yourself on them in an unfriendly way. if you do stare at them
best to perhaps close your eyes and slowly blink a few times to show
you do not have any aggressive intentions, also look away from them
sometimes too.

just a thought if you want your little chap to trust you and not be
scared of you.

if you want him to not bite you them when he does this just pick him
up off your chest or lap and put him onthe floor and ignore him. He
will soon learn that if he wants to be near you and enjoy snuggling up
he has to behave or he will have that simple pleasure taken away, no
need to use any force or anything nasty like that, that will just make
him nervous around you and unhappy and you do nto want that do you?

bookie

Ear/Nose Polyps Sherry Cat health & behaviour 4 April 20th 07 01:30 AM
Cat has red nose Teddy Cat health & behaviour 2 January 2nd 06 04:56 AM
Sore nose? Mary Cat anecdotes 6 April 2nd 05 04:12 AM
HELP! Nose injury! Manda Panda Cats - misc 1 December 26th 04 11:01 PM
Why the nip on the nose? Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 33 June 13th 04 07:10 PM