I think I've been forgiven

Old November 21st 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Default I think I've been forgiven

Jessie, the cat that owns my elderly neighbour, has run away from me since I
took her to TED several months ago for dental work. For about a month she's
just kept her distance and watched me, today she actually allowed me to
stroke her. I think I've finally been forgiven for taking her to the smelly
place.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old November 22nd 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian A" wrote in message
om...
Jessie, the cat that owns my elderly neighbour, has run away from me since
I took her to TED several months ago for dental work. For about a month
she's just kept her distance and watched me, today she actually allowed me
to stroke her. I think I've finally been forgiven for taking her to the
smelly place.

I know where you're coming from. My late mum was never brave enough to
medicate her rather surly border collie, Cassie, so I was always called in
to do it. From liking me a lot, Cassie first began to mistrust me and then
became a bit hostile. Even with quality time in between, ear mite
applications, clipping her claws once (huge trauma), holding her so she
could be groomed thoroughly now and again (this dog had the effrontery to
actually snarl and snap if groomed because she was spoilt), showing my mum
how to give her tablets down the throat (she was not so stupid that she
didn't recognise them in *any* treat) when she got Cushings disease.
I would not take her nonsense. Snarl all you like, girl, you need those
meds.
Cassie hated me in the end. It made me sad. I wish I could have explained
to her "that it's for your own good" and that I loved her. She certainly
did not love me by then.
Mind you, don't you just hate it if someone does something that you don't
want yourself and says it's for your own good! I certainly do. I will
decide myself, thank you..
But we have our pets that are dependent on us: and we do have to make a
decision about "their own good" It's hard if they don't like it..

Tweed

Old November 22nd 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

I know where you're coming from. My late mum was never brave enough to
medicate her rather surly border collie, Cassie, so I was always called in
to do it. From liking me a lot, Cassie first began to mistrust me and then
became a bit hostile... [snip]
I would not take her nonsense. Snarl all you like, girl, you need those
meds.
Cassie hated me in the end. It made me sad. I wish I could have explained
to her "that it's for your own good" and that I loved her. She certainly
did not love me by then.

Your mom was the "good cop" and you were the "bad cop". It's unfortunate
that she came to dislike you, but she was your mom's dog after all, and I
guess it was better she distrusted you than your mom.

I once knew someone who would get someone else to take their animal
to the vet, just so the animal wouldn't blame them for the unpleasant
experience. That seems a bit extreme to me - I actually think that my
cats know I'm doing something good for them when I take them to the
vet. As much as they hate it when it's happening, it's possible that in
some corner of their brain, going to the nasty place, and then feeling
better, might be associated. In any case, my cats don't hate me no matter
how many times I've taken them to That Place, and medicated them. Then
again, cats don't have the brains and memory of a border collie!

Joyce
Old November 27th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Adrian A wrote:

Jessie, the cat that owns my elderly neighbour, has run away from me since I
took her to TED several months ago for dental work. For about a month she's
just kept her distance and watched me, today she actually allowed me to
stroke her. I think I've finally been forgiven for taking her to the smelly
place.

I'm glad to hear that.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek