Indoor cats

Old August 18th 05, 12:33 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On 17 Aug 2005 11:07:05 -0700, wrote:

It's interesting, do you think it's a cultural thing? How long have
people in the US been doing these things? Perhaps it's not the general
population, just people in cat groups As I say, I wasn't saying
that either way is right, it's just interesting how people do things
differently.

I live in a rural area in Western Washington, and my experience has
made me wary. I see freshly killed animals on the road every day,
including a few cats.

My cat, Tweaker, came to be my pet because I found him on the road
after being hit by a car. He had been an outdoor barn cat. Once he
recuperated, it was very clear he had no desire to go anywhere. So, I
keep him inside. Once in awhile I let him outside for a little while,
but only if I am standing right there.

I was taking care of an elderly (14-yo) dog for a friend who got
flooded out of her home. Early this spring, he wandered onto the road
in front of my house while I was inside looking for my car keys, and
someone ran him down and splattered him down 150 feet of pavement. It
was easy to see what had happened. The driver crossed the center line
to hit the dog.

I have a lot of equipment and junked cars here, most belonging to a
tenant who is a mechanic and uses them for his projects. We stay on
top of anything important, but that's about it. My next-door neighbor
here is a yard & garden enthusiast, and he hates me, although we have
never met or spoken. He is also the macho type, and had a sign in his
driveway warning that he will shoot intruders, but I think maybe the
cops made him take it down. He complained to the county, but it
backfired because we aren't doing anything wrong. I'm pretty sure he
ran the dog down. I hear gunshots in his backyard now and then, and I
imagine he might kill any cat or dog that set foot on his property,
especially if he thought it belonged to me.

So that is the cultural milieu in which I am operating.

Charlie

Old August 18th 05, 12:33 AM
Dr.Carla,DVM

Oh and before I get off my soap box, I forgot, indoor only cats don't need
vaccinations unless they spend time at kennels, etc.
Vaccinations in cats have been shown to cause VASTS (vaccine associated soft
tissue sarcomas) or tumors. Its not clear yet which part of the vaccines
are causing this terrible outcome.
There is a new safer rabies shot for cats, ask your vet about it next time
you go for vaccinations.

Old August 18th 05, 01:05 AM
MaryL

"Dr.Carla,DVM" wrote in message
Oh and before I get off my soap box, I forgot, indoor only cats don't need
vaccinations unless they spend time at kennels, etc.
Vaccinations in cats have been shown to cause VASTS (vaccine associated
soft tissue sarcomas) or tumors. Its not clear yet which part of the
vaccines are causing this terrible outcome.
There is a new safer rabies shot for cats, ask your vet about it next time
you go for vaccinations.

My vet agrees that the time can be extended significantly for indoor-only
cats, especially those that have previously had a series of rabies shots.
However, he still stresses distemper shots because it is airborne. Do you
agree?

MaryL

Old August 18th 05, 01:08 AM
shortfuse

I know just to be on the safe side, I have my cats innoculated for all,
since I have a habit of feeding some homeless cats on/off and dont want to
take chances.

Old August 18th 05, 01:23 AM
Victor Martinez

http://www.aafponline.org/resources/...es/vaccine.pdf

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 18th 05, 03:25 AM
Dr.Carla,DVM

My vet agrees that the time can be extended significantly for indoor-only
cats, especially those that have previously had a series of rabies shots.
However, he still stresses distemper shots because it is airborne. Do you
agree?

In 2000 the AAFP (American Association of Feline Practitioners) recommended
that "following the initial series of vaccinations and revaccination 1 year
later, cats should be vaccinated no more frequently than once every 3
years".
2 years ago I spoke with the AAFP representative at a meeting and he didn't
recommend vaccinating strict indoor only cats (don't even go out on the
porch) due to VASTS. I haven't had any of my cats vaccinated since then.
But, that's just what I decided to do, and it doesn't mean you shouldn't
follow your or your own vet's instincts either.

Old August 18th 05, 04:27 AM
jmcquown

Needless to say, you are correct. I don't know about other folks,
but my dog - Sampson (RB) - was an indoor dog; he only went out to
use the potty.

Jill

But you do mean you took him out for a walk regularly where he could
have a run off the lead now and again?

Tweed

I once had a house where I could let him run in the fenced yard for
a bit. When it snowed, I went out and dug a trench in the snow for
him to be able to poop and pee. Otherwise he never ran off the
leash. I walked with him... his lead extended to about 20 feet. I
have always lived too close to
a busy street to let him run off the lead. He lived 18 years so
apparently
I did something the right way

Jill

There is definitely a cultural difference between the USA and the UK
then. It would not be seen as acceptable in the UK for a dog never to
run off lead even if only at the weekend on a visit outside town.
A shelter here would not allow a dog adoption if it had to stay on a
lead all its life. They would rightly say you do not have the
facilities.

Tweed

I never lived anywhere a dog could run off a lead without encountering a
road and not be subject to being hit (by cars). My Sampson didn't seem to
mind being on a lead. He just peed and pooped and then we went back inside.
He curled up on the couch, chased the tennis ball and was otherwise a tiny
lap-dog

Jill

Old August 18th 05, 04:40 AM
Karen

in article , jmcquown at
wrote on 8/17/05 10:27 PM:

[...]

In Lincoln they have a special Dog park. It's a biiig area where people come
with their dogs and let them off to run that is all fenced in. It's right
down the street. It's extremely popular. I suspect that it is also a "great
place to meet guys/chicks". But people come in droves everyday. I was
wondering if other cities had such a place.